MedHelp Social Community
Right to Refuse Medical Treatment?
About This Community:

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Right to Refuse Medical Treatment?

Not to long ago the parents of a child with cancer wanted to seek alternative treatments for their child who had cancer.

CPS took the parents to court and forced them to get the traditional medical treatment.

My question is this;

Do the supporters of "traditional" medicine have the right to demand that their method of medicine is the ONLY viable route, considering...

That traditional medicine is denied to so many for the simple reason they lack the money to afford it?

The message seems to be;

"If you can afford it, or we can bill you into debt, then we shall FORCE you to use our treatments. But if you can't, then you can go ahead and do whatever the heck you want. Whether you live or die is no concern of ours."

Whether it's an adult OR a cute innocent child.

Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
495284_tn?1333897642
I think you are right on what the message seems to be......I have been following this story as it is pretty close to where i live.  The tumor is shrinking but they dont know if it is from the natural healing therapy or the chemo.......poor kid gets so sick from the treatments.
Blank
219241_tn?1357815389
Yep, hard to judge. I believe in natural therapies but by golly I am mature enough to know that some things need the intervention of modern medicine too. Most modern medicine is derived from natural anyways, often just synthetic copies.
I find it incredible though that this family is denied their beliefs. Maybe the doctors are right, maybe the parents are right. I guess the doctors looked at the whole scenario and the treatment he was on by the parents and saw perhaps it was not working. Then decided to intervene. After all the Hippocratic oath is to do no harm, and they are trained to save lives. So I can see both sides in this.
I also am very aware that the media will portray things to sensationalise situations. We aren't there in person to know the full story and can only speculate on the situation.
Blank
306867_tn?1299253309
Baron................You read my mind.   That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard about this child.  They go through all this and yet if I was diagnosed with cancer they would just let me die (no insurance).
I couldn't believe how they pushed my brother to have radiation & chemo even though he was terminal.  It made his last months very painful. I don't get it. grrrrrrr
Blank
285927_tn?1380802356
If the parent was ordered by the court to get the treatment for the child, I wonder who actually is paying for it? Good Point!  I too would be allowed to die cause no health insurance!
Blank
458072_tn?1291418786
In todays world, its all about the mighty dollar.  Hate to say it, but they don't care whether this little boy lives or dies. They just want control.

Land of the free? I don't think so...
Blank
306455_tn?1288865671
If they can force people into treatment, why can't we force them to treat us(un-insured)?
If it was the mother with the cancer & refusing treatment, would they have chased her into treatment? Or is it just the kids that the governemnt owns?
Blank
495284_tn?1333897642
I know if it was me i wouldnt be able to find out if i even had cancer......Im over 18 and uninsured.......

Yes the media has been in their face since this started.  They are on the front page of the papers all the time.  
Blank
this is appalling and has lots of social implications.  think of the amber marlowe case or the angela carder case where the hospitals got court orders authorizing c/s agains the womans wishes.  marlowe left and delivered naturally elsewhere.  carder underwent surgery and she and the baby died.  entering a hospital should not terminate your rights.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
MedHelp Social Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...