Right to Refuse Medical Treatment?
Not to long ago the parents of a child with cancer wanted to seek alternative treatments for their child who had cancer.

CPS took the parents to court and forced them to get the traditional medical treatment.

My question is this;

Do the supporters of "traditional" medicine have the right to demand that their method of medicine is the ONLY viable route, considering...

That traditional medicine is denied to so many for the simple reason they lack the money to afford it?

The message seems to be;

"If you can afford it, or we can bill you into debt, then we shall FORCE you to use our treatments. But if you can't, then you can go ahead and do whatever the heck you want. Whether you live or die is no concern of ours."

Whether it's an adult OR a cute innocent child.

I think you are right on what the message seems to be......I have been following this story as it is pretty close to where i live.  The tumor is shrinking but they dont know if it is from the natural healing therapy or the chemo.......poor kid gets so sick from the treatments.
Yep, hard to judge. I believe in natural therapies but by golly I am mature enough to know that some things need the intervention of modern medicine too. Most modern medicine is derived from natural anyways, often just synthetic copies.
I find it incredible though that this family is denied their beliefs. Maybe the doctors are right, maybe the parents are right. I guess the doctors looked at the whole scenario and the treatment he was on by the parents and saw perhaps it was not working. Then decided to intervene. After all the Hippocratic oath is to do no harm, and they are trained to save lives. So I can see both sides in this.
I also am very aware that the media will portray things to sensationalise situations. We aren't there in person to know the full story and can only speculate on the situation.
Baron................You read my mind.   That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard about this child.  They go through all this and yet if I was diagnosed with cancer they would just let me die (no insurance).
I couldn't believe how they pushed my brother to have radiation & chemo even though he was terminal.  It made his last months very painful. I don't get it. grrrrrrr
If the parent was ordered by the court to get the treatment for the child, I wonder who actually is paying for it? Good Point!  I too would be allowed to die cause no health insurance!
In todays world, its all about the mighty dollar.  Hate to say it, but they don't care whether this little boy lives or dies. They just want control.

Land of the free? I don't think so...
If they can force people into treatment, why can't we force them to treat us(un-insured)?
If it was the mother with the cancer & refusing treatment, would they have chased her into treatment? Or is it just the kids that the governemnt owns?
I know if it was me i wouldnt be able to find out if i even had cancer......Im over 18 and uninsured.......

Yes the media has been in their face since this started.  They are on the front page of the papers all the time.  
this is appalling and has lots of social implications.  think of the amber marlowe case or the angela carder case where the hospitals got court orders authorizing c/s agains the womans wishes.  marlowe left and delivered naturally elsewhere.  carder underwent surgery and she and the baby died.  entering a hospital should not terminate your rights.