MedHelp Social Community
Should they run from Chemo treatment

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Should they run from Chemo treatment

Much in the News about the Mom running away with her son, who didnt want Chemo I was wondering after a big discussion yesterday with some friends what you think, I believe in Alternative Medicine, so my view is if there is a chance to get him well that way I would go for it, however his Cancer is treatable and can be cured by Chemo, Mom has taken him to the North of Mexico where there are clinics that treat this with the Alternative way, Homeopathic treatments, what do you guys think, what would you do in the same Dilemma ?
31%
 (7) 
Run to Mexico for the Alternative Way
68%
 (15) 
Stay for Chemo treatment even if son doesnt want it.
22 Members voted
I feel that if the parents and the 13 year old child does not want the chemo then that is their decision.  There was a case in 1994 with a boy 16 yrs. old that had Hodgkins disease and decided that he did not want radiation or chemo and to go through natural methods.  Here is a recent article from him:

As an international search continues for an American boy who ran away to avoid chemotherapy, a local who did the same thing 15 years ago says cancer treatment should be the boy's decision to make.

Billy Best is one of the few people anywhere who knows what Daniel Hauser is going through.

Best believes the law has no business in personal healthcare decisions. The courts have said 13-year-old Hauser will die without chemotherapy to treat his cancer.

But Best says he has another story to tell, and that's how he's now trying to help the Minnesota teenager.

These days Best doesn't want to be a cancer survivor telling his story, but a freedom fighter.

"What makes you so passionate about this case?" WBZ's Beth Germano asked Best.

"It's so similar to the experience I went through when I was younger," Best said.

Hauser is now on the run with his mother, Colleen, rather than face court-ordered chemotherapy for his Hodgkins Lymphoma, the same cancer Best has recovered from.

"I'd like to grab him and hide him if I could," Best said. "I don't know where he is. I am concerned about him."

Best made national headlines in 1994 when he fled Massachusetts at age 16 to avoid radiation and chemotherapy for his cancer. When WBZ last interviewed him in 2001, his Hodgkin's Lymphoma was gone. He says he's living proof that the alternative treatments and supplements he used work.

"My doctors told me I'd be dead if I didn't use chemotherapy," Best said. "That was almost fifteen years ago."

The decision, he says, to run from a court order is excruciating.

"It's the most difficult thing, I mean you have to be desperate, in such a desperate place where you say, I'm gong to leave, leave everything I know," Best said.

And natural healing methods are what the Hausers are seeking. It's why they asked Best to come to Minnesota earlier this month to share his experience with Daniel Hauser and the court.

"(Daniel) wanted to be left alone. He was so confident in what he was doing and the supplements he was taking."

Now Best believes the law should allow the Hausers to follow their own medical path.

"They're on the run and frightened. That's no place to be when you're in a healing crisis," he said.

Best spoke with the Hausers before they fled. He says he had no idea they were going to leave.

Best also says he doesn't know if his decision to flee had any influence on them. He has not been in touch with them since they left.

Daniel Hauser and his mother were last seen Tuesday in southern California. Investigators believe they may now be in Mexico where there are dozens of clinics that use alternative therapies to treat cancer.

(© MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

It is wrong for the public or courts to decide what you do with your child unless you are abusing them or want them dead.  This is not the case here.  If the 13 year old does not want the treatment; he is definitely old enough to decide.  This is my opinion.  Thanks.
Generally I'd agree that its a parent's decision but chemotherapy is live saving so if the kid does not recieve it he will die. That's a particularly fatal and rapidly progressing form of cancer as well. The natural methods suggested otherwise have no proven benefit. I'd believe any staff physician here would concur on this as well as in within cases of medical neccessity that the interest of the child legally is what should be preserved first. If they were an adult they'd have a right to make decisions as regards themselves but that's another issue.
This is such a hard call.  There is a case here in WI where some parents allowed their dau to die last year of untreated diabetes because they were praying for her.  The little girl died on Easter Sunday of 2008.  The mother just stood trial this past week and was found guilty.  The father's trial is coming up this summer I believe.

I am NOT putting down praying for illnesses.  That is the first thing I do when my children are sick - but I also believe God gave us doctors and advances in medicine to SAVE lives.  A person HAS to use common sense and NOT gamble with a child's life (or anyone else's).

twehner,

I totally agree with you on praying.  It is good to pray but definitely not the only option.  I just look at this situation this way:  If the child at 13 years old can be tried as an adult for a crime then I feel they are old enough to decide if they want chemo or not.  The boy received chemo already and decided that he did not want to continue.  Chemo unfortunately can kill people as well as if you leave the disease untreated.  It is a really hard thing to understand and if the parents spoke to the child and feel that it is not right for them then I feel that they have that choice.  The problem is that some parents will keep treatment from being done in order to receive some sort of compensation for their loss.  THis is wrong and they definitely need to step in to take over the home and child.  On the other hand, you have parents that want the best for their children without ruining their child's quality of life (which chemo does do).  I am all for chemo for treatment but it is completely up to the individual or family.  If we let the courts step in for every situation then we will never be able to have the freedom to choose what we or our children need or want.  This is a parents reason for having children.  I did not have a child to have the Government or courts tell me how to raise or care for them.  I had my son to be able to raise him to be a kind, generous, thankful, caring and christian individual.  I just have trouble with this situation since many other treatments have been used to cure or treat this disease and many others.  

Thanks for listening to my opinion, I greatly appreciate your input it is very welcomed as well as all others.  This is why we discuss these issues and why medhelp is so popular.
GOOD POINT(S)!  And thank you for enlightening me.  I guess I had NOT heard all of the story.  Plus, *I* would NOT choose to keep on having chemo just to prolong life without quality.  I would much prefer a shortened life, but have life WITH quality.  It sounds like you are saying that a cure is NOT expected in this child's case.

Unfortunately, we ARE heading to a time of the government telling us HOW to raise our children.  Look out.  The UN is working on that AS WE SPEAK, but that's another topic (sorry Margypops).
You have the rights of the parents and then you have the rights of the child that is sick. I am the first to advocate keeping our noses out of someones business, but this is a matter of life and death. The last chest film revealed the tumour has gotten bigger, pushing on the airways and that could kill the boy before the cancer has a chance to. My nephew was cured/put in remission thanks to chemotherapy, so I guess the question is, do we intervene on behalf of the child or respect the parents right to parent. This particular cancer can be cured with chemo. In my opinion, the life of the child must come first. We can debate parental rights later. It is a really tuff situation, but we cannot sit by and allow a child to die if there is a proven treatment that can save his life. He is a minor and does not have a voice and the father is for the chemo. Someone said that the religious affliliation is Jehovah Witness. Has anyone else heard that?
As far as the religous side of things, I believe that God gave knowledge to doctors to treat people, so I do believe a medical healing to be directly from Gods hand.
The family is catholic.  This is what I had read but who knows.  Every news article is different and says something completely different so who knows.  I have trouble with believing some doctors when it comes to being bias and wanting the money that comes from treatment.  The reason is is that I knew a couple of people that had scans and other particular chest xrays and other xrays that originally didn't show anything and then did.  And then others that showed problems and then went for a second opinion and third and they showed nothing.  So, this is really hard to decide.  I really would like to see the best done for this child.  The child was the one who really did not want the treatment as well as the parents so this is really a tough situation.  
Thanks guys for your input some friends brought it up and I was surprised the mixed feelings that they had, it got quite heated, I have feelings about both I just want the child to be okay...
i know imho that if either of my boys (God forbid) ever got sick with cancer whether they wanted the chemo or not...they would get it. i know it would be painful but in the long run it could prolong their lives. and that's what i would want. more than anything is for my boys to be ok. my grandmother (who is 85 years old) recently went through chemo and radiation treatments. her cancer (she has breast and bone cancer) is in full remission and if she pulls through these strokes her doctors say she could go for another 20 years. so i have complete faith in MOST doctors. there are some that i think are total quacks but for the most part i trust them. they went through the training and the schooling, not me.

i'm all for the praying but as previous posters stated.....God also created those doctors. he gave them the knowledge that they have. so why would he give knowledge to create medicine and what not to help save lives if he didn't intend for us to use it?
You know what I just saw a report on this and they said that they did not want the treatment due their "do no harm" philosophy of the Nemenhah Band, a Missouri-based religious group that believes in natural healing methods advocated by some American Indians.  If this is the case then the parents may have pushed him into beliving this sort of religious belief which can be considered a cult and would be why the child does not want the treatment.  They also said that the child has learning disabilitiies and cannot read.  So, if this is all true then the child is not of sound mind to understand what is happening to him and should receive the treatment immediately.  Obviously the parents are not thinking clearly or are being fed a line by this leader of the Nemenhah band.  Who knows.  
This happened about 40 miles away from where i live.  The father is now making a plea for his wife to come home and law enforcement officials have said they wont charge her with anything if she brings her son back.  The doctors have all said that if this child does not get chemo he will die.  Back in the day we called this sort of beliefs cults.  Now it is considered a religious group.  I dont usually get into to many conversations on religion or politics as it usually just makes me mad.  This poor child is so sick and his mother takes off halfway across the country to Mexico to do this natural healing thing.  I hope for the boys sake they find him.  As for the mother i hope they lock her up and throw away the key.            sara
A 13 year old child does not have the life experience nor does he fully understand the consequences.  He cannot make a choice on chemo in this instance.  At that age they truly believe they are invincable and why do something uncomfortable if you don't like it.  That is why parents (or the courts where necessary) make the medical decisions.  The kids do not appreciate the entirety of the situation.
Trudie, how true that is. I hope they find him before it is too late.

I agree with TrudieC. This boy is only 13 years old and cannot make an informed decision regarding his health. However... on the other hand : I know of a woman who successfully treated her cancer with alternative medicine. And since I have CFS and western medicine had and still has very little treatment options for me.... I frequently go to alternative medicine practitioners and really am shocked at how much they have to offer !  Chemo is a poison.... so I disagree with the court's ruling in this case.

Now on the case where a court ruled that a baby would be denied a life saving blood transfusion because the paren'ts were Jehovah's Witnesses, I strongly disagreed with that ruling.
  It honestly depends. CFS is still an underdiagnosed and understudied disability so some of those treatments you speak of may well be worthwhile (I know by regs. we can't post links to clinical studies here but if you have some pm me, there are clinical studies on natural remedies). If you know of any specific underutilized treatments for cancer I'd be interested as well. Chemotherapy has been the mainstay of treatment for cancer and without it many people would die. If there are new treatments that are being identified anywhere people should know about them but they should be responsibly researched as well too for side effects and dosing as with all medications.
   Many treatments have been brought into western medicine in recent years that were completely unknown when I was young. Just think of accupunture for example. What is defined as my primary disability is medication induced by I am advocating (with the system) for medications that won't cause it. Chemotherapy and radiation are highly effective and life saving but naturally can have strong effects on the body themselves. If any treatments are effective that don't have these effects they should be researched and once known and identified brought into clinical practice.

I think what changed my mind about this lawsuit is the fact that our government is now considering trying to make the Gardasil vaccine mandatory !!! There have been 29 deaths as a result of this vaccination and many, many more people who now have neurological problems (similiar to CFS and Guillian Barre Syndrome).

The problem with "alternative medicine" (I actually... I like to call it "pre western medicine") is that these practitioners do not have enough money to conduct the highly regulated studies that is now required to prove that alternative medicine is beneficial for many people. I am happy to hear that our own military is using acupuncture on Iraqi soldiers, with success. And I agree... that more research should be done, but I think that politics sometimes interferes with such research. It was much better when the physicians were running the drug companies... not the greedy suits.
Wichita Teen Warning Against Gardasil

"When a Wichita teenager found out about a vaccine that prevents cervical cancer, she asked her mom if she could get it. After receiving the three shots of Gardasil, she says she began fighting for her life."

http://www.kansascw.com/Global/story.asp?S=10375188
wow great question I actually had to think hard on this,,alot would depend on my childs age but I would go with conventianal methods first and if things were not looking good I would try the others,,,some of those odd methods do work,.,,,ever see the movie Lorenzos Oil ,,about a terminally ill child his parents inventied an oil that cured him,,
I don't like the idea of government intervening in such decisions.  On the other hand, I'm not sure a 13 year old has the judgment necessary to make the decision.  Of course he does not want chemo - chemo is awful.  It is painful and horrible, makes you gaunt and bald and sick all the time.  Nobody wants chemo, but most people want to live, and you do what it takes.

If that were my child I would see that he got chemo, and the very best available care.
Just an update for everyone in a recent new article written today:

By PATRICK CONDON, Associated Press Writer Patrick Condon, Associated Press Writer – 28 mins ago
NEW ULM, Minn. – A 13-year-old cancer patient and his mother, who fled Minnesota last week to avoid court-ordered chemotherapy for him, returned voluntarily Monday, and the boy was examined by a doctor.

Daniel Hauser was "immediately checked over medically" when he and his mother arrived on a charter flight at 3 a.m., Brown County Sheriff Rich Hoffmann said.

On a video released by the sheriff's department, Colleen Hauser described how the first chemotherapy treatment Daniel received made him sick and she said he planned to run away from home.

"Then what do I have? I mean, he was going to run," Hauser said. "And that just broke my heart. I can't have one of my children running away from something that they should face."

Hauser expresses optimism that her son can beat cancer, but the video doesn't disclose where they were or when it was made. The video was produced by Asgaard Media, which also arranged the charter flight for the mother and son to return home.

At one point on the video, an unseen woman asks Daniel what he'd say to people who claim he's not old enough to decide whether he needs chemotherapy. "I'd tell them to back off," he replies.

Hodgkin's lymphoma has a 90 percent cure rate in children if treated with chemotherapy and radiation, but doctors say Daniel has a 5 percent chance of survival without those treatments.

He underwent one round of chemotherapy in February, but none since. The family cited religious beliefs in opting for natural healing practices inspired by American Indians.

A judge ruled that the parents medically neglected Daniel and ordered them to get him an updated chest X-ray as well as select an oncologist for a re-evaluation. After the X-ray showed a tumor in Daniel's chest has grown, the mother and son left town.

On Thursday, Anthony Hauser appeared before reporters asking his wife to come home "so we can decide as a family what Danny's treatment should be."

Hoffmann did not say where the pair have been since they missed a court hearing last Tuesday, but authorities had focused the search on Southern California and its proximity to a number of alternative cancer clinics in northern Mexico.

The sheriff didn't say whether Daniel received medical treatment for his Hodgkin's lymphoma while they were gone. "It is a good day as Daniel and Colleen Hauser have been safely returned to Minnesota," Hoffmann said.

Brown County Attorney James Olson said he likely would dismiss the felony complaint against Colleen Hauser because she returned voluntarily. Minneapolis FBI spokesman E.K. Wilson said the federal charge of unauthorized flight also likely would be dropped.

Daniel Hauser was evaluated at a hospital in the Twin Cities on Monday and his parents were with him, according to Tom Hagen, an attorney at the law office representing the parents.

Daniel was expected to spend Monday night at his family's farm in Sleepy Eye, about 100 miles southwest of the Twin Cities. A court order placed Daniel in protective custody last week, but Olson said family services was comfortable allowing Daniel to stay with his parents. A deputy was posted at the farm Monday night, Olson added.

Olson doesn't anticipate additional charges being filed, but said he hadn't seen all the police reports and he'd have to see what happens at a court hearing, expected Tuesday.

"A lot depends upon the attitude of the parents, their willingness to get on board with a treatment plan," said Olson. "If they are going to continue with this, 'We don't want chemo,' ... We'll see what happens tomorrow."

Dr. Bruce Bostrom, the pediatric oncologist at Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota who diagnosed Daniel's cancer in January, said he was happy to hear of the boy's return.

"I'm delighted," Bostrom said. "I've been so worried that he was going to die in Mexico. I've been praying for his safe return, so I think my prayers will be answered."

Bostrom was not working Monday and didn't know if Daniel had gone to Children's Hospitals to be examined.

Hoffmann said Jennifer Keller, an attorney from Orange County, Calif., contacted the sheriff's office Sunday and said Colleen Hauser wanted to bring Daniel home. Keller did not return a message left at her office.

The voice message system at Asgaard Media of Corona, Calif., was full and a message could not be left. The film and television production company did not immediately return an e-mail request for comment.

___

Associated Press Writer Amy Forliti contributed to this report from Minneapolis.

This is really good new for all involved.
Yes this was good news and the child is getting the help he deserves, Thank you guys for your input and thank you to the avid game players who allowed my thread to get the airing that I wanted to see,I considered it an important topic I am glad it ended well.

It is an important topic and one that really made me think. I have mixed feelings on this, simply because I know a beautiful young woman who had cancer and who was successfully treated with alternative medicine. I also met a man who had brain cancer and was given 4-6 months to live. He lived years longer... due to alternative medicine. He fell in love with his alternative medicine practitioner too !

Because there has been some discussion about the government making the Gardasil vaccination mandatory, I am very concerned. There have been at least 29 deaths and 9,000 woman who claimed that they now have CFS/Guillian Barre Syndrome symptoms, thanks to this vaccination.

So where do we draw the line ? Also.... is it fair that a judge denied a life saving blood transfusion to a child whose parent's are Jehovah's Witness ?
My personal take on Alternative Medicine is that I have felt better and been far less stressed  without the side effects that I have had on so many of the prescribed drugs,through the years to say nothing of misdiagnosis a few times,a relative is having a very hard time deciding what to do about this Gardasil, she is concerned so much so she may do home schooling for her twins.She is faced with a dilemma and having the control of a Mother possibly take away...
as far as making Gardisil madatory sounds a bit like "big brother" to me a little crepy what is happening to freedom of choice? I asked the question today in my PT class at what age does a child have the right to refuse medical treatment , the answer was "it depends on the circumstanes" my kid threw a fir once for an IV at 8 years old they said he had the right to refuse Im like hes a baby this is crazy ....a 8 year old can refuse simple treatment but a 13 year old can not refuse serious treatment, dont get me wrong personally Im glad hes getting it as he will likely live,,,but wow USA free???
fir should be fit,,he did not thow a fir in the er room lol
About 5 years ago, I would have said that conventional medicine is the way to go but As I researched and also from my own experiences with ADD and depression have really gained alot of knowledge about natural medicine/alternative medicine.  I also started cleaning homes and work for a 52 year old woman that many have heard the story of in some of my posts.  So I will make it short.  She has breast cancer(masectomy and chemo now completely gone) and also has ovarian cancer (hysterectomy and chemo but seedlings still exist and needs localized chemo).  She is a homeopathic woman as well as does not eat red meat and sticks to all natural and organic foods.  She had not taken any medications in her life except two times took antibiotics to get rid of infections.  She took tylenol for the first time when chemo started and has gotten through all this wonderfully.  The doctor is astonished as to how well she is doing.  So, I am all for alternative treatments.  I am so happy that their are many others out there that help and give advice on what alternative meds or treatments can be used for specific diseases or health issues.  I know since I started using a juicer instead of buying those prepacked juices;  I feel so much better.  It also really tastes better too.

Plateletgal,  It is totally unconstitutional as well as just morally wrong to deny anyone treatment based on background or religious belief.  This is just wrong.  No matter what your religious beliefs or none at all.  

We still need to keep this in mind no matter if you believe their is a God or if Jesus exists or not:

Luke 22:7  Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.