MedHelp Social Community
Swine Flu "PANDEMIC IMMINENT:

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Swine Flu "PANDEMIC IMMINENT:

World Health Org raises Alert level to "5". Things seem to be changing by the moment. It is time to take this thing seriously and to take precautions to protect our children and our old and infirmed.  I will stock up on grocerys and stay away from large crowds. How about you?
Teko:
I've already stocked up on cold/flu medicines, tissues, toilet paper, water, and the necessities - just in case.  I agree we need to be very careful.  I can't imagine them raising the threat to a leval "5" if it wasn't going to get worse.  I've even stocked up on antibacterial hand soap and anitbacterial gels that I have in every room right now.  I'm trying to protect my mother who has COPD.  
I too have copd.  I think it is important for people to stay out of public if they are sick. I wonder if they raise it to 6 if they will close our borders.  I also heard a cruise ship thinks its passengers have been infected. They expect this to start mild and then get ugly as time goes on.  I still do not understand why Miexico have so many deaths unless, they do not get flu shots and the like over there.  hmm
Teko:
I don't know why they have so many deaths either.  But, the doctors and experts say our flu shots will not have helped us with this flu bug.  It's nothing like we've had before.  I wonder if it's because in Mexico perhaps they don't have the nutrition we do here.  Just an idea.  But, what I heard from the head of the CDC is they expect a lot of deaths here too.  Another expert said if it peters out - not to think it's gone because it mutates and will come back stronger.  So, everyone really needs to be careful and wash and wash their hands and not touch their nose, mouth or eyes!  

Honey, be careful with the COPD that you don't get it!  

Hugs,
Janet
As a pregnant teacher this is just freaking me out. Everytime my students sneeze I GermX the cr@p at out of them!!!! I teach first graders, so I know their hygiene is not top-notch. And it only makes it more frightening being pregnant!!!!!! I hate to be one to freak about something but man this is all happening so fast!!!!
I take some comfort in the knowledge that the medical community in the US is seeing mild cases of this flu.  I believe that in Mexico the death rate is elevated because many poor people there have had little or no medical care, and many are coinfected with respiratory illnesses like TB.  Hygene is substandard in the poorer neighborhoods in Mexico and poor people who seldom see doctors are less likely to understand the hygenic practice necessary to prevent the spread of the flu.

I'm going to keep on washing my hands, and try to be careful not to touch my eyes and face unless my hands are freshly washed.  I'm hoping that will be enough.  For those with compromised immune systems (chemo patients, for example) its probably best to take more serious precautions.  

I hope we can avoid widespread panic.
rdh

I would be concerned too if I were pregnant.  They will probably end up closing the schools before long.  Personally, I think they ought to do it now. This is gonna suck for the whole econemy situation tho. I called my kids and told em to keep them little ones at home and avoid places like restaurants where crowds gather. I am still Mom and I dont care how old they are or whether they like it or they dont.  No sense being silly and puttin your family out there. IMO
The thing that bothers me is this is a new bug. It will take months to develop a vaccine for it and by that time it will have mutated into something stronger.  There is literally nothing we can do except wash our hands and stay out of public places.
teko- the already closed one school here in my hometown. I actually live on the same street as the school.  A student has  been severely sick and they took  a swab test and sent it to Baton Rouge for further testing. The student went to Mexico over the spring break and they are not taking any chances. They did not say how long the school will be closed for yet.

This is just way to close too home!, literally!! I say close down the schools now to! Because, students and teachers are all brain dead anyway!!!!

Anyone have any GermX???????????????
I don't think it's time to panic yet..... I'm not a teacher, but I do work for a school district and spend my days in any one of 67 schools.  The important thing is make sure that you hygiene is top notch.  Even if you have to be around school children, you can protect yourself with reasonable measures, like washing your hands often, making things you touch are as clean as you can make them, etc.  

Take precautions and be safe.  
I agree Barb and that is what I do!!! I have plenty of GermX and Clorox Wipes on hand at all times in my classroom. I always GermX my hands after I collect anything from my students. They also know that everytime the sneeze, cough or blow their nose, the will be GermX'd!!!  I am sure by the end of the year we will all have dry hands, but that is better then being sick!!!!  
More of a problem here because the borders are still open, and the poor folks ill are coming to our hospitals here The downtown big LA medical county hospital has a lot coming for treatment from Mexico, so I guess we will get a lot of cases ,just hope it stays pretty light.
Temecula is pretty far from LA.  Just stay home.
Although I do believe it would be futile to panic, I do think it is time to exercise good judgement and I also believe it is we the people, each doing our part that will decide if this thing gets out of hand. The government can do some things like close the borders if necessary, but if each of us assumes it cannot happen to us, we will ensure this thing goes rampant.  I dont think this is something the government can control, it is up to each of us. What say you?
Teko:
I completely agree with you!  Take responsibility and try to keep this thing from passing to others.  Our company just sent out a company-wide email (from the president of the company) telling us if we are sick to NOT come to work.  He is also making sure that all our clinics have Germ-X and take other precautions.  The office staff are to wear masks at all times.  And, if patients call saying they are sick - to tell them to reschedule.
I just wanted to clarify our clinics are dental not medical and that's why we are not seeing sick patients.  I just read that and thought hmmm that might not make a lot of sense to people if they think we're a regular medical office.  
Thats what I am talking about. I myself am self employed and clean for people who live in Fl for the winter. They are going north slowly but while they are here I will also wear a mask. I will not eat in restaurants while this is going on, nor go to a busy beach. This is for my own protection as well as my clients. We can do this but we all have to do our part. IMO
Teko:
I have a silly question?  I have seen IMO a lot on here and I have no idea what it means!  LOL!!! Can you tell me!?  I feel silly asking, but I guess I don't know the computer lingo yet!
IMO = in my opinion
It means "In My Opinion", lol dont feel bad, My six year old told me! Talk about feeling silly! "LOL" is a belly laugh and lol is a chuckle. If you learn any more, share them with me. :D
all i no is i am scared but glad it is milder to us and also if i am right it hasnt been passed to anyone yet it is only peple who have came back from mexico who has it but they are trating ppl who have been in direct contavt with them it will go to a full panademic as soon as it starts passing this way i have just done my shopping online and am not using public transport also staying away from people with colds and washing my hands all the time i am scared!!!!

btw i am in uk england xxxx
Thanks for the IMO explanation!  LOL!!!!!  Big belly laugh!  I know several others, but never knew IMO.  I know IDK (I don't know) and a few others.  LOL!!!!

Have a great night everyone and please take precautions and be safe!
I'm frightened....  I heard from my mom, they found a couple cases in Wisconsin and I heard from grandma that on the news, they found a case in MN...

Just when I was thankful for getting through the year without getting the flu and without taking the shot...this... Oh and my grandma's worried because she had a lot of stock in Hormel and well......let's just say they aren't doing very well at this time, so there goes our assets and some of our money....

I'm worried about getting sick, because lately colds and flu bugs get me really bad....

I think I'll just lock myself up somewhere or go to a distant island where I can live by myself until this pandemic blows over....
lol im agreeing with you x
We now have one suspected but unconfirmed case in Florida. I gotta go to work but will check in later this eve.
We have 4 suspected cases in Utah.  In Park City, they have closed the schools since 3 children are suspected of having it.  I wouldn't have expected Park City to get hit first here in Utah.  But, that's what it looks like.  
I posted a whole separate thread the swine flu has one confirmed case at Woodhaven High school where my two oldest boys attend my Robbie has gym class with the effected kid,,CDC has closed school until at least monday OMG watching my kids ;like a hawk..I am just in shock
My son is in college in Milwaukee, where there are 2 confirmed cases.

Also, I drive a school bus.  One of my kids had moved to Mexico about 6 weeks ago.  I guess his parents changed their minds, because he showed back up this week...!
I know this is all scary but from my understanding it's very treatable if you get in to the doctor right away. The only deaths that I know of were in Mexico among the poor who may not have insurance or access to a hospital? Other than the 23 month old baby in Texas who came from Mexico. That's the only death here in the states as of yet.

Let's all try not to panic. Just be cautious, use good hygiene, wash your hands often and try to stay away from public transportation, etc., where you'd be in close contact with others. I think that's about all we can do. Of course, it's a good idea to go ahead and stock up on water, medication and enough food for two weeks.

I believe they will be having another live discussion on this Wednesday with the doctor on here.

Take care everybody.
Sound advice.  

I haven't felt good since Saturday night and yesterday started having some breathing difficulties, but we have had a wet year for Utah and allergies are really bad.  I used to suffer from seasonal asthma and because of that I have a rescue inhaler.  I used it last night and it helped and again today.  So, I think it's allergies, but it really makes you wonder or worry when normally you wouldn't think twice.  But, we do need to be careful and take precautions.  Besides, worry won't accomplish anything, it'll just cause anxiety when we can't do anything about it other than take care of ourselves.  It will be what it will be.  I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that, but that's just my opinion.  If God wants me, he'll take me!  :)  

Hugs,
Janet
I heard about the Milwaukee cases from my mom...and I heard from both mom and grandma there's a case in MN...  This all is getting too close for comfort.

I'm so moving to an island...tropical and far away from people and pigs...there...maybe I'll be safe.
can I come with you that sounds lovely !!
Hmmm, maybe, as long as you don't have the flu.
National Gaurd have been appointed to guard the TamiFlu shots in Ohio and three other states. Thats Wild!
Our Governor (John Huntsman) gave a press conference and said we now have a total of 5 suspected cases.  3 are in Park City and 2 along the Wasatch front (could be anywhere from Ogden down to Provo [spans about 100 miles]).  I might stop at the urgent care in my neighborhood and be tested just to make sure.  I don't know?  Hmmm.