Swine Flu
Hello all Alien is here lol... Anyway who is hearing about this flu thing anyone worried or is the CDC trying to scare us all? Me for one I am not going to sit around and worry about it if I get a sniffle oh well I cant assume its the Swine Flu.. Anyone else want to give there input?

I have missed all of you....
Hey-what's up Alien????  Long time, no see!!!  LOL

Anyway, I do think that the Swine flu is legit, but I refuse to get freaked out over it until it hits my state.  I am relieved that the CDC is on top of things right now and that meds will be available, if and when needed.

My gut tells me that everyone is gonna get all paranoid over every sniffle, sneeze and fever now!!!  The ERs will be freaking packed!!!
Swampy has figured out how to be immune -- just convert to either Judaism or Islam.
Well they are now saying they may be confirmed cases here in N.C. but wont release the stats yet....Are what counties so we will see.. Zodiac How is school???
You know, I know right now the pollen is really high in many areas, Allergies can sometimes make you think you seriously have the flu. I just hope there aren't a ton of people freaking out thinking they have this flu when in fact it's just allergies..lol
Hope you are right, it sounds pretty serious where I sit,it has hit my state , I am 70 miles from the San Diego border,several people have it there and are in hospital,  they have asked for the border to be closed but O Bama has said No.Other countries have told theiir citizens not to travel here I spoke to my Daughter she said that UK was one of them. Apparently the flu shot anyone got this year doesnt work on this strain we have to get the Tami-flu vacine.
kachoo.........I was just thinking the pork prices are going to be sky high now so we will have to have steak on the grill Alien........OHHHHHHHHHHHHH another party at Aliens!!!!!
That's ok with me, I'm not that crazy about pork anyway. ;)

My husband kept saying for years we were going to get a pandemic of bird flu. He's even got a book on it. Sigh, now I won't hear the end of it.
Now, if what you heard is right-that there are some cases in NC, then I might start to worry that's hitting too close to home!  I still think that it's a good that we're on top of things and will be prepared.  I feel better about that!  

I hope that you're doing good, Alien!  Great to "see" ya again!!!  You seem happy, and it's great to see!  =D

School is going great for me and the semester is about to end.  Can't wait for a break!!!  =D
Am i the only one showing up for the party at Aliens house!!!!!!
Okay, I'm coming too!!!  How about a Swine flu cookout????

Anyone up for hot dogs????  BBQ pork????  LOL
Now we got a party!!!!  Remember the last one!!!!!  LOL
MedHelp is having a one-hour long free, live health chat on the Swine Flu with Dr. Enoch Choi ---

------>    It's tomorrow (4/29) from 1:00 -2:00 PM.
            http://www.medhelp.org/health_chats/register/17

Register (if you are logged in all you have to do is click on one button) here to attend and you'll get an e-mail.  I've gone to a few of these health chats and they really are great to attend!

C~
I am getting the grills ready Sarah no whip cream this time... Keep the tissue away to lol..
Zodiac great to hear yes I am doing better LOTS!!!!

They are going to annouce here on Wednesday if there are confirmed cases
alien good to hear from you and Im a veggie so no worries here...swampy loved your coverting comment you gave me a good laugh and I needed one this am thank you !!!

seriously we have had worse out breaks of other pathogens, but this is not to be taken lightly Id be more worried if I lived further south west.
you are right about the flu shot and also I wouldnt cross the border for anything !!! heard on news this am Americans are getting outta Mexico ASAP
Well I dont feel like a laugh about it ,living so near, I guess you can if you dont see all the folks running into the US to escape the Flu there and also get ready for their Ilegal families amnesty here.before the census is taken I may add, ,its a pretty picture yes I am giggling aswell .....
ALien,,

i've miss you so,. no one to yell for Jr with me. He looked good on Sunday.  Anyway, about this swine flu, I am not gonna worry about it. I havent heard of any cases in my area yet. I think Obama needs to close the borders. But what are you gonna do?

I want to party with yall too. If we can't have the whip cream what about the chocolate sauce? Hey who's trying Alien up this time? lol
Hey Alien good to see you around....We have five cases here...They will not say what counties either....They say they are not bad....Like thats suppose to make us feel better...I am with margypops close the border.....
Alien:

I want to come to the party!  Count me in!  LOL!!!!  Missed you to!!!!  :)

I do believe this swine flu is going to get worse.  Our health department stated that we do not have one case YET, but WHEN it hits we'll be prepared.  I'm hoping that somehow we'll be able to stop it from spreading more - but it's already in asia and the middle east as well.  

I have to admit I'm feeilng sick today with headache, sneezing, watery eyes and stomachache, but it's probably my allergies, but my first thought was "what if!"  I went out and bought some cold/flu medications and extra santizers and tissues just in case though.  I have my mother who has a weakened immune system and COPD and just can't take the chance of her getting this.  But, they did say it's healthy people between the ages of 20 and 50 who have died from it.  I think that's where the fear comes from.  I'm sure it's just allergies.  However, I think that if we suspect we could have it we should go to the hospitals or urgent cares or our own doctors to find out?  

Anyway, it is frightening, but I'm not allowing myself to freak or anything like that!

I'm so glad to see you posting again my friend!  

Hugs,
Janet
My brother told me today Scotland has a few cases also, so it is spreading I do agree theres no point in panicking I hear that its lighter here than in Mexico, am going to get extra supplies in so I dont need to go the the stores if it gets worse.
Margypop:
That's what our health department suggested.  They said if it does hit and you wait to get the supplies they will not be available. I'm not trying to scare anyone because fear will not help any, but being prepared can't hurt.
Im a bit nervous about this flu. I'm in New York and there has already been an outbreak here (in Queens....which is were I live). So yes I am very concerned about this. I think it is legit as somebody eles has already said on here. I've been trying to stear clear of people coughing and sneezing around me....but unfortantly I really can't stay away from all. I've been washing my hands alot during the day and using purell as well. At work everybody has already been warned that if you have any symptoms to not come to work and go to the doctor. So hopefully people will listen on this and stay home when they are ill. We have enough health issues in my family and we dont need to add the Swine Flu to our list.
Here's the Twitter website from the CDC about the swine flu.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/index.htm?s_cid=tw_epr_79
Nah, I am not nervous. My time has already been destined, so if I get it I get it.  My husband thinks it sounds like someone took and put it in a petree dish.  I am not sure I disagree.  one part pig, one part bird, one part human flu?  I cannot figure out how come so many people in mex are dying yet no one here in the states? Okay, back to the forum about obama being compared to Jesus. Jeesh! My fingers cannot keep up
Teko:
I wondered about this virus being man created as well - it just doesn't make sense, unless the virus mutated somehow.  I agree, when our time is up - it's up.  Not a lot we can do about that!  :)
I did hear they were looking into a bio attack, 2 deaths just reported  in CA and its moving into Arizona now.I cant seem to get to the site April gave me ,
What site was that?

Did you guys see the article boogieman copied and put on the swine flu journal? Something about terrorists. You don't think it could possibly be purposeful, do you?
I am in Fl and am really surprised it is not here yet, cause we get vacationers, visitors from all over the world. Bio attack? Wow, I had not heard that but somehow, I could believe that.
The deaths in CA are being investigated. It has not yet been determined that they were caused by the swine flu. One death was yesterday afternoon. The other was on the 22nd (six days ago). This is according to the LA Times.

Chill.

Or you could just panic and report things as fact when they are not confirmed.
This flu is just another Flu.......
It does sound frightening -- those words -- "Public Health Emergency." And calling swine flu a public health emergency most definitely gets our attention.

Behind those words, though, is the fact that the actual declaration is really a vehicle for making money available and suggesting that local governments begin using their predetermined plans for managing public health problems. It doesn't mean there is a crisis.

Let those words remind you to take precautions yourself. But don't be afraid of them.

Flu is Flu
Swine flu is one more strain of flu. It sounds really scary because it originally came from pigs, and that creates some mystery around it. It also sounds scary because we don't have any vaccine to protect those who are most vulnerable.

But it behaves like other flus. We catch it the same way, and we can protect ourselves the same ways. We can make choices to protect ourselves and our families.

Do you fear the seasonal flu? Probably not. And this flu is really no more frightening than seasonal flu. In fact, to date, no deaths have occurred outside Mexico, whereas thousands die each year from seasonal flu.

Pandemic Describes Geography Only
We hear the word "pandemic" used by the media and that reminds us of history class in high school. It sounds like it means millions of people might die. But that's not what it means at all!

Pandemic simply means it is found large groups of people in many countries around the world. Pan comes from Latin and Greek meaning across or around. Demos means populations or people. Pan-demic. Geography and demographics. Not deaths.

Learn more about the definition of pandemic and how it could affect you in the 21st Century.

What About Those Face Masks?
When I see those masks on the people on TV, it reminds me of SARS and bird flu in China a few years ago. Again, that was scary because so many of the people who contracted those diseases did die.

Masks just keep the wearers from inhaling the water droplets that might be breathed out by someone who has the flu bug. Or when worn by someone who has any upper respiratory disease, they may contain some of the spread of that illness. They aren't a bad idea, but they don't indicate that the flu is any more dangerous than any normal flu. Thousands of people die of seasonal flu each year, but we don't all wear masks.

Why Does It Seem Like We are Unprepared?
Another reason some fear the swine flu is because, unlike seasonal flu, we don't have vaccines available, people are still traveling, and we seem unprepared to stop it.

Again, this fear is unwarranted. Thousands of strains of viruses could potentially cause flu. We have no way of creating vaccines for all of them, nor would anyone ever be willing to be vaccinated against them all.

We do have two drugs available to help with symptoms, which the CDC tells us is in plentiful supply. Relenza and Tamiflu, both of which are used during seasonal flu seasons each year, are also useful for helping swine flu patients, too.

Put Your Fear Efforts Into Protection Efforts Instead
Fear takes a lot of energy. It makes much more sense to put our efforts into protecting ourselves and our loved ones, and protection is not difficult.

There are travel considerations, and prevention steps like hand washing -- listed in Swine Flu FAQs.

If you have upper-respiratory symptoms like coughing or congestion, stay home from work or school so you won't pass the germs to someone else. They may not even be flu! But there is no sense in taking chances, plus rest is an important way to fight those germs.
I heard on the news this morning there has been 1 confirmed death in the USA (Texas). A 23 month old baby died of suspected Swine Flu. They have reason to believe a young boy in Mexico who lives with his family in which they have a pig farm is the culprit of this. The boy became ill about 1 month ago and I beleive he is better now (I was watching on the news this morning).
I did not mean the swine flu was anything to laugh about not by a long shot,,just got a gigle outta swampys converting coment. Its scary real scary I am 4 sure joining the conference today, already signed up..anything could happen this could become a panademic. and I have come to understand its human to human transferable via droplets ie. cough sneeze etc..much like the common cold..so being a vegitarian offers no help. heard on news yesterday there is treatment that could drastically reduce death risks but the ill, young and old are still at very high risk...and OMG I pray this is not bio-terrorism..

heard about the baby boy dying this am...poor sweet baby. I also feel terrible for all the Mexicans ..they already got so many problems with corrupt government etc..how heartbreaking
I heard about the death today too......how sad
God bless that baby's soul and give that family the strength, comfort and peace....what a terrible tragedy...and what a scary world.
The thing that makes this virus scary is that it is made up of human, bird and swine flus.  I was listening to an expert who works on this type of stuff on a radio show and he said that this is definitely going to become a panademic.  The reason is that we have NEVER had this type before.  And, if it peters out, it will most likely come back with a vengence within the next 6 months or so.  This is not just a simple case of the flu - it's much worse.  I will admit that I'm not freaked out, but I am watching things very carefully and listening closely to what the experts have to say.  

Also, a friend here said her son works in a pharmacy and the government has taken 25% of their tamaflu supply.  That's just one (large pharmacy company) and wonder how many others are also asked to give up that much of their supply.  And, the government already had a reserve of 5 million tamaflu available in stockpiles.  So, obviously, they are expecting much more and worse than we have now.
Utah's health department just released that they believe that we have the first case here in Utah now.  They have not released where in Utah just yet until they verify that it is definitely the swine flu.  
all i no is i am scared but glad it is milder to us and also if i am right it hasnt been passed to anyone yet it is only peple who have came back from mexico who has it but they are trating ppl who have been in direct contavt with them it will go to a full panademic as soon as it starts passing this way i have just done my shopping online and am not using public transport also staying away from people with colds and washing my hands all the time i am scared!!!!

btw i am in uk england xxxx
I miss you most of all!!!!!  

the swine flu has hit FL too, but I think its in the lower part of the state. I could really careless...going in the medical field, I have learned to take the same precautions for all germs lol
To clarify something here...Swine Flu did NOT come from pigs! It is the DNA of the Flu virus that spells out P.I.G...so some dumb scientist called it Swine (meaning Pig ) flu..Unlike other flu viruses which actually DO originate from say the Bird, this one did not.
  In Australia we have had at least around 20 confirmed cases. In Melbourne, where I live, our International Airport was the first to use a thermal imaging device to scan people before they get past customs. On the first day (last Thursday) they found two people with high temperatures (often the first sign of the flu) one was a normal virus, the other unconfirmed. Here in Aus we take precautions pretty darn quickly!
  At present we have a different type of flu, it is really bad. But point being..ANY flu can kill you!
I think the problem is the speed of the modern media, the name of it and the panic it then creates. Go back 30 years, it would have taken time to know about these things happening in other parts of the world.
  Everyone should be panicking about that piece of machinery sitting in your garage or drive way..called a motor car. Now THAT is a pandemic! Kills and injures more in one month than any war we have ever had in a year.
I'm not sure where you got your information but that's not quite correct. Swine flu is a mixture of swine, human and avian flu. Just google it or check Wikipedia for more info. Here's one article I found and what the World Health Organization says:

Swine Influenza (swine flu) is a respiratory disease common among pigs that is caused by type A influenza viruses.

Just like humans, pigs can get influenza but swine flu viruses aren’t equal to human flu viruses.  Although this particular virus doesn’t usually infect people, periodic cases do occur in those who have had close contact with pigs.

But the current swine flu outbreak is different.  According to the data released by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the flu seems to involve a new of type of influenza that has taken pieces of flu viruses from pigs, birds, and humans and combined them into a new virus, spreading it from person to person and it is evolving rapidly.

Swine flu is thought to be contracted in the same way as seasonal flu. The virus is spread mainly from person to person through coughing or sneezing by those who are infected. Sometimes people may become infected by touching an object with the virus on it and then touching their eyes, mouth or nose.

Swine flu is not transmitted by food, however.  Humans cannot get the virus from eating pork; pork products; handling of uncooked pork; or consuming fruits and vegetables—as with all influenza viruses, swine flu in not a food-born illness.
Now that the states are able to confirm their own cases of Swine Flu - here are the CDCs new update on how many and where:

U.S. Human Cases of H1N1 Flu Infection
(As of May 8, 2009, 11:00 AM ET)  States* Laboratory
confirmed
cases Deaths
Alabama 4  
Arizona 131  
California 107  
Colorado 25  
Connecticut 4  
Delaware 39  
Florida 6  
Georgia 3  
Hawaii 5  
Idaho 1  
Illinois 392  
Indiana 29  
Iowa 5  
Kansas 12  
Kentucky** 3  
Louisiana 7  
Maine 4  
Maryland 4  
Massachusetts 83  
Michigan 49  
Minnesota 1  
Missouri 9  
Nebraska 4  
Nevada 8  
New Hampshire 3  
New Jersey 7  
New Mexico 8  
New York 174  
North Carolina 7  
Ohio 6  
Oklahoma 4  
Oregon 15  
Pennsylvania 2  
Rhode Island 7  
South Carolina 29  
South Dakota 1  
Tennessee 36  
Texas 93 2
Utah 24  
Virginia 14  
Washington 33  
Washington, D.C. 1  
Wisconsin 240  
TOTAL*(43) 1639 cases 2 deaths