MedHelp Social Community
The win

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

The win

This restores my faith in our country.  I thought they were all idiots when they voted and then re-elected the bone head!!!  Glad to be an American again!
Amen
I feel totally rejuvenated.  Americans should be so proud this morning !
I am scared....very scared....watch your wallets people.....mark my words.........
i really hope you all are right..i also am afraid that the country is going to regret. their decision,i really really hope i am wrong and i am going to suppport our new president.. i just hope as a country we can put all the nasty things that have been going on by both sides in this election cycle..behind us come together and get back to being the best nation on earth... and i really do hope that president obama turns out to be one of the best ever elected the one thing i do like is he is close to most of us on heres age
Don't worry children - everything's going to be fine. Just try to settle down a little. Maybe tale a little nap.
Mike
I am proud & awed and so thankful to all Americans who voted yesterday!

This is a beautiful moment in our history.
I 2 am very scared. I am still dumbfounded how the US has voted for someone with no experience. Who is praised by all nations..even the communist countries. Not looking for a backlash..just saddend for our military as well and the protection of this country. I to wish him well.
snoozies, i agree.
I also wish Obama well...I too am somewhat frightened what is going to happen in the near future.
AMEN....GO OBAMA ..........GO OBAMA..........GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a great time to be an American.  I can't imagine anyone not being moved at the entire event last night.  To watch history unfold in front of your eyes - watching the people moved to tears as we are united as a country.   It's something I will never forget and feel proud to have been a part of it.  
I'm glad.  I'm hoping for change too, but it's going to be a rough ride I feel before things can be fully restored. It's going to take a long time I believe.  But this is encouraging!
Scared????  I'm petrified about what has happened to my retirement fund in the past 90 days....and lets talk about the last 8 years...not only finacially, but the TRAGIC  loss of lives from an ill begotten war against the wrong people.  

Its time to move forward.  Obama doesn't make the laws...yes, now there is a majority, but Obama does not make the laws, and he doesn't set the tax codes.  The US did very well under Clinton.  

Lets stop paying for the financial hemorrahge that is the Iraq War, and put it back into our country to improve the lives of those right here.  Put money in education--it will be paid back tenfold.  Put it into providing healthcare for every citizen..its should be our right to have access to health care.  

Stop pouring it into a war that will seemingly never end, and will kill thousands more of our young men and women.

Scared?  I'm excited about the future.
Anyone taking over the mess the government has made of this country, has their hands more than full and it make reflect badly on them when it is not immediately changed.  These things will take a little tume. No one can easily fix our predicament.  Let's try to look at the progress - not perfection - that the new leadership makes cuz nothing is going to be easy at this point.  No under anyone's leadership.
Bless us all
I was moved to tears last night, tears of joy and of elation. A profound sense of pride in my country, in our citizens, in our electoral process (except for the Prop 8 issue).

I am proud to have had a part in history.

And I second Peek. I have lost some 10% of my retirement in the most recent quarter. Much more than I will pay in taxes in the next 4 years. I will gladly pay taxes to help my fellow citizens, to help develop a foundation for better educational opportunities, access to health care, and a stepping stone for those who have been rocked by the economy as of late.

My concern isn't about the wads of money in my pocket, but rather about helping those who have not had the same opportunities.

What can I say, maybe I am a bleeding heart liberal.
well said Peek!
Is it true that Obama intends to take our 401K and retirement funds and put them into social security instead?  I can't remember where I heard that from - but I'm tempted to take mine out and put it in a savings account instead if that's true!?  I'm not being confrontational - it's an honest question.  
I am not all happy with the outcome at all. I can only hope and pray that he proves me wrong. I think he is a bad man with little to no qualifications. I guess it is time to put feelings aside and come together as nation.    

RDH:  I agree with your sentiments - but we do need to come together as a country and not let this election divide us.  The majority spoke and I will pray for Obama that he will do what's right for this country.  I am fearful of some of his policies, but now is the time to put my feelings aside and support my new President.  
So you heard he is going to steal our money and put it into social security? Doesn't any of that sound, I don't know, maybe a little far-fetched?

So out of curiosity, what are some of these "policies" that have you so "fearful."
I will be honest and say I am not much into politics, I know some, and I can honestly say I felt both mccain and obama had some good points,  however last night a family member ( by marriage) and thank god it was not DH made an extremely racial remark in reference to obama. I thought Oh my God, I cannot believe she just said that.  This is my family.. I had a hard time getting over it, I did not say anything because I was shell shocked, ignorant people I cannot stand, however, I have no choice but to get along with this person, I will say if she ever instills her narrow minded obscene values upon my children I will be writing on these posts from the state pen..
I don't know if it's far-fetched or not because my fears make it possible for me to believe this. That's why I asked if anyone knew if it was true!  I am not going to go into my fears (it does not accomplish anything at this point).  I just wanted to know if anyone knew if this was true.

I am supporting Obama since he won and it's the right thing to do - the majority voted and I respect that and so I don't want to get into an argument.  I am really just asking.  
That's horrible!  I'm so sorry that happened in your family.  My mother used to speak like that until one of my best friend's adopted two African-American children who call her Grandma.  People can change and their hearts can be softened.  I hope over time that will happen in your family too!
Why am I scared?  This is why:

I am scared of what is going to happen to our retirement, IRA's, Annuities, etc.  If it is government controlled like our Social Security it will be bankrupt.

I am scared that the world sees him as a weak leader.

I am scared of his "socialist" ways.

I am scared of his tax plan...because I still insist that it is going to trickle down to the middle class.

I am scared of his radical associations.

I am scared of his national security (or lack thereof) plan.

I am scared of us not using our natural resources and not have off shore drilling and will then increase my gas prices.

I am scared of his health care system...I don't want an emergency doctor visit to be a wait of six months long.

The reason why everything prospered under Clinton was because of Reagan.  He is the one who got us out of the Carter mess.  Clinton inherited an excellent economy brought back by Reagan.  How did Reagan do it?  He lowered the taxes on the weathly to keep corporations here in the USA and not go abroad.  This created jobs, which gave people money, which improved the economy.  He didn't punish those who achieved the American dream.

It was Carter and then Clinton who started the whole sub-prime mortgage mess.  It was the democratic congress that strong armed the banks to give out those mortgages or else be penalized.

Bush saw us through 9-11.  He brought the economy back after our worst tragedy in history.  It was the demoncratic congress that took control approx 2 years ago that plummeted us into this mess.

IMHO....these are the reasons I feel the way I do.

Babyprayers-

I had a similar thing happen as well. It is difficult to be 30 and realize that your own father is a racist, homophobic, bullying jerk. Listening to him rant and curse and go on like a madman over the candidates on Monday night made me thankful he is not a part of my life or my children's.

HelpinUtah-I was not trying to start a fight either, but I am interested when someone uses the terms "fearful" when I honestly have no idea what there is to fear.
I understand.  I just don't feel that now is the time to rehash fears or create a hostile environment.  I have voiced my fears and concerns before and I feel that since Obama won, I should pray for him and support him because we have to have unity and get past all this election hoopla!  

Perhaps I should not have asked the question, but I just heard it listening to PBS last night after the election and I wish I could remember who said it and so I was curious if anyone knew if it was true or not.  Please accept my apology if it seemed like I was trying to create drama - I really wasn't.

Have a great day!!!
When i look at Obama i dont see color.  I wasnt brought up that way thank god.  I too like the idea he is close to our age.  I understand some of the fears people have but i look at this man and i think does he really want bad things to happen to his children??  Would he make this nation unsafe??  I dont think so.  I have been associated with some bad people in my life also and that doesnt make me want bad things happen to this country.  I really dont know what my point is here so i will just hit the submit button!!!!
I am hopeful...but remain skeptical for many reasons. I find it hard to believe that any president can truly wrest away corporate interests' control of our government, and that is really the only way to improve things in America.
Hmm, interesting "fears" Suzi. I think I am finally at peace for my "fears" have all been realized in the last 8 years. War, attacks on my home country, the death of thousands of soldiers and millions of civilians in Iraq at the hands of a conflict manufactured by my government, and it is funny but the quashing of off-shore drilling brought the oil prices down, not the other way around. I do not believe that tapping all of our natural resources benefits anyone. I also see that millions of jobs went overseas during the Bush run, never to return.

Well said Andi.  The last 8 yrs have been rough on all of us. I've known several people who have lost husbands, sons and brothers in that war while Cheney got rich with Halliburton.  This war made money for the rich while it got rid of the young men and women in our country.  Sad, so sad.  I do love the Army and Military and know that those people are the strength of our country but we didn't have to send them into a war that had no end.  

Obama will think before he acts on anything, think about the good of the American people.  I trust him and am so happy he is our new President!

Please do not get me wrong....I am definitely NOT for the war. I think that Bush was very wrong on that.  I am just thinking of how Obama wants to pull back on national security.

We need to do something now about the gas crisis that is going on...looking the other way is not the answer.  And new energy is even farther away than off-shore drilling...

I do not want to start a fight at all...I am just stating my concerns.   Hopefully, Obama will surprise me.
It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation.
Yes we can.
It was whispered by slaves and abolitionists as they blazed a trail toward freedom.
Yes we can.
It was sung by immigrants as they struck out from distant shores and pioneers who pushed westward against an unforgiving wilderness.
Yes we can.
It was the call of workers who organized; women who reached for the ballots; a President who chose the moon as our new frontier; and a King who took us to the mountaintop and pointed the way to the Promised Land.
Yes we can to justice and equality.
Yes we can to opportunity and prosperity.
Yes we can heal this nation.
Yes we can repair this world.
Yes we can.
We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change. (We want change.)
We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics…they will only grow louder and more dissonant ……….. We’ve been asked to pause for a reality check. We’ve been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope.
But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.
Now the hopes of the little girl who goes to a crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of LA; we will remember that there is something happening in America; that we are not as divided as our politics suggests; that we are one people; we are one nation; and together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast; from sea to shining sea: Yes We Can
Still at it I see.
Ya'll....he wasn't appointed sovereign King of the nation, able to remove all of our savings and retirement money ....oops, wait.  Bush did just that.   Bush made a HUGE mistake with the Iraq war...I love how people say he "made a mistake",  implying it is on a par with getting a traffic ticket for speeding.  That war is BLEEDING US DRY, and killing our young men and women.  We've got to have an exit strategy, and soon.  They will revert to the patterns they have lived under for thousands of years before we arrived to "save" the day.

Life will go on under Obama.  He has no magic wand to "fix" everything, and he likewise doesn't have a magic wand to "ruin" our lives.  This is still a democracy, the majority has made their wishes loud and clear, and we will move forward, if the rumor mongering stops and allows us to be reasonable and understand what is necessary.  

Obviously, people on this post want me silenced.  I have more to say, but I will just be considered as being a "mud-slinger"  so I will keep my opinions to myself.

I have true concerns...but of course, people take my concerns so personally that they get very nasty and personal....so I will not say a word.

Obama is president...I do support him..I hope he can help our nation....and only time will tell.
Who is being nasty?
It was evident to me when Barack Obama was mentioned to be a candidate for presidency that he would not be accepted with open arms.   Although the point is being danced around, I know that his ethnicity is playing a role in these "fears" people have about him...Let's be real. But that is absurd being that is partially Caucasian.  I agree that Obama does not have overabundance of experience; however, John McCain has had 20+ years as a Senator and has made no substantial contributions.  If I am wrong, please correct me.  I am not trying to make this a political blog station; however, some of the comments that are being made are unfair...and this post is not to defend him because I am African American.  Ok Obama is 47 and McCain is 72.  Does this make him more qualified because he has been on this Earth longer...that's ludicrous.  Both candidates had pros and cons regarding their history and policy ideas.  The best man won by double the electorial votes.  
I pressed submit before I was done typing by mistake. Like many of you have said, regardless if you voted for Obama or did not, the point still remains that he will be in office in 2009-2012.  We must support him and pray that he makes the right decisions during his term.  Yeah his economic policy is DISASTROUS, but hopefully he will appoint good advisors prior to making the final decisions. I am no political pundit, I admit this.  Point is, give him a chance.  We have been under Bush for 8 years and Obama cannot be any worse than that ignoramus. He has several mistakes to correct from this current president's actions.  Yeah, Bush has done some good, I admit that, but he is no Savior and I do not expect Obama to be one either.  I pray that some of the policies that Obama has proposed he consults with a myriad of logical experts.  Like his economic, energy, and national defense proposals. Ok I am done.  
What a victory. I second Peek!

He can propose policies til the cows come home.  This is still a democracy, and nothing has changed from yesterday until today.  Obama can't do *anything* by himself.  

We vote, we have representatives, we can make our feelings known, we can work for change in our communities, we can get involved...the same optiions that we've always had.

We simply have fresh new blood, a new outlook, and hopefully a new direction.  Its up to us to work to keep it going in the direction we need to keep going.  
Do not FEAR anything.It will only get better.
Bush put USA in jeopardy with the war in Iraq and you think Obama will jeopardize USA? ? Obama has a tremendous JOB to do,  to clean the mess after Bushes (old and young) in the office.  It will be a hard time for OBAMA to fix everything but he will do a great job. He is taking over a broken down country on the virge of bancrouptcy and do not expect  miracles yet. To me he is like a ROBINHOOD...take from way too rich and give to poor. How much is enough to live comfortably????  

He is   socialistic and that's what USA needs right now...you sound like a hard core capitalist and do not care for  low paid workers that carry USA on their shoulders doing the dirtiest jobs so others can make  "clean" money.

I fear for  the environment and offshore drilling that will destroy ecosystems and your children and grandchildren will suffer ... and you are worrying about gas prices....please be realistic...  I see loss of jobs but Obama  pledged to create 5 million jobs in the environment section so this will help a lot. Gas gobblers should go to metal scrapping  and electric cars should emerge.

Healthcare? I watched "SICKO" again and that makes me think....that's what is going on under the BUSH administration rich get help poor have to die.Sounds harsh but true. UNIVERSAL Health Care is a good thing.

Look up   Canadian Health Care system   and see for yourself...you will also find people who complain about Canadian care system..but hey...they are the ones who complain about everything..... everybody is entitled to Health Care in Canada and they pay premiums and have a good care for free....in USA if you do not have insurance and you get seriously ill you are basically doomed.....
SO I think that OBAMA is the greatest thing that happened to USA.
I don't know where you get all this NEWS from...hope is not FOX-News and O"Riley  the heretic. By the way General Electric owns FOX news and many other ones without credible stats and they are the ones to dictate what you should hear. PROPAGANDA.

PS: I wish that Canada had someone like him....not Harper  as Bushes puppydog.

I agree Peek. "We must work to keep it going in the direction we need to keep going"...well put.  
What Peek and Andi said.

"...the only thing we have to fear is fear itself..."
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt
MSNBC is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC, which is a GE company

Fox News Channel (FNC) a United States-based cable and satellite news channel. It is owned by the Fox Entertainment Group and is a subsidiary of News Corporation. As of January 2005, it is available to 85 million households in the U.S. and further to viewers internationally, broadcasting primarily out of its New York City studios.

The channel was created by Australian media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who hired Republican political strategist Roger Ailes as its founding CEO. The channel was launched on October 7, 1996[1] to 17 million cable subscribers. The network slowly rose to prominence in the late 1990s. In the United States, Fox News Channel has been rated as the cable news network with the largest number of regular viewers.[2]

Critics and some observers of the channel say that Fox News Channel promotes conservative political positions. Fox News Channel publicly denies any bias in the channel's reporting.
Who do you think you are coming on here and insulting thousands of people who use Medhelp? Just because you do not like President Bush does not give you the right to insult people.
I am one of the "idiots", so why not have a debate on the issues facing the country with me? And I don't want to hear talking points either or "hope" and "change"

Obama campaigned on one set of ideas, but during the campaign, his tone changed a number of times. As well, the economy changed. So many of his tax and spending proposals would have to be reworked to face the new reality.

Each political party at any given time as a few long overdue ideas, a few interesting new ideas, a bunch of old ideas, and some stinkers. The US political system attempts to push politicians to the middle, and it mostly succeeds.

Swampy was a McCain supporter, but the election is over now. Obama deserves the chance to succeed. He'll need a good cabinet, the best his party has to offer. Those are the people that make the policies everyone talks about. Many people have ideas about what those policies will be, but they are speculating. Although Obama ran on certain changes, he also gave himself plenty of wiggle room. Swampy suspects we will all be surprised. Swampy is willing to be surprised in a good way.
I wonder how much of a mess Obama will have to deal with when he takes office in Jan?, I think. And I also am curious what his stand on Iraq will be too? I'm not sure if he wants to pull the troops out immediately, or not.
Here's my 2 cents......Horray !!!!! I was a Bush voter, always a Republican...Not anymore, not after our beloved Bush almost ran this beautiful country into the ground. After many years, I finally voted Democrat...Hum...how things change...
Please tell me how President Bush almost ran the country into the ground. If you were a republican in values then you would never move to a democrat because those values are far from the republican party.
I will admit that the GOP has lost it's way and needs to return to it's roots, but better times are ahead for the GOP.
Fox TV # 1 ...I can believe that...but what will you say now about how they treated Obamas  as a candidate and all the people who spoke positively about Obama???as a joke....they are a big joke to me. OrIley he was the first one to criticize everyone who was pro OBAMA. It is Sad that lots of people are watching this silly, rude TV network.

After Clinton left He left this beautiful country with "0" deficit and when Bush leaves??  He will leave tremendous amount in debt for Obama to deal with ... trillion of dollars or MORE ..because of his screwed up idea of playing war in Iraq.....I will never get it why!!!
O'Reilly..or whatever his name is from Fox TV....the jerk.
Let me tell you something Vance, I have been a life long republican, but this year I voted Democrat. And my values are just fine Thank You!! I voted for Bubba W both times,( what was I thinking?) But I swore that I would do anything I had to do to keep and republican out of the White House for another 4 years of disaster. Bubba W was determined to get Sadam bevause Bubba Sr. didn't, and look where we are now.
i just want to say THANK GOD FOR OBAMA WINNING :) and amen to you kiddthekatt
I want to add to this that there has been a lot of speculation that he is not simply going within the D party for his cabinet, that he is crossing party lines.

I realize many do not like him for his associations, but the one point that sold me was Colin Powell. Hands down he is the one person in this country I respect more than any other when it comes to their opinion on a candidate. Had he run, he would have had my vote.

I am elated that my children have witnessed history made. I am elated that so many people who's voice was previously unheard, were heard this time. I am elated that the candidate I supported finally won, now I am 2 for 4 ;-)

Cheer up folks, we need to look forward for solutions not wallow in the past.
Everyone seems to be happy just because we elected an African American. I thought this was about the best man for the job, not what color the skin was. Frankly I didn't care what color is shin was/is, he lacks the skills and experience to run our country in this very shaky economic environment with terrorist leaking in every hallway and peeking in our windows.

I lived through a lot of elections. I have never been afraid of stating me political preference. I have never been verbally attacked and threatened during any other presidential race for responding to the question, "Who are you going to vote for?" And because I would not vote for Obama that automatically brought loud hateful accusations that I am a racist. I had no right to vote for a caucasian because an African American was running for president...didn't I get it??? Stupid me, I honest thought it was about who I felt would do the best job????

I will support the man the American ppl elected as our president. I will pray for him every day. Obama is now my president and I will shut up, sit down, close my eyes, buckle up and hang on for dear life.  I sincerely hope I never have to say, "I told you so."
Tucamore NO OFFENCE...but you make me smile...you are sooooooo paranoid alright about terrorists...it never crossed your mind that old Bush created them (in fact trained them-Sadam Hussein and his people against Russian occupants in Afghanistan??? ) and young Bush had a reson: "weapons of mass destruction" hahahaha.....to kill all of them for OIL?????!!!    I am not talking about Sept 11 at all....that it's another  sad story.

OBAMA is the best man for the job.... You will never regret not saying "I told you so"...just accept the fact that he is the BEST man for the job experienced or not....the country picked him and they believe in his strenth to change the mess BUSH created.It will take long time  but strap yourself anfd see...just relax.  
Well I voted for OBama , for my party, I have been a registered democrat since I became a citizen and before that, I do not think any one should come here and call anyone an idiot because they voted for another party, I had big reservations on voting for him ,his past , his wifes views,(let us not forget wives get to whisper a lot in their husbands ear,) I came from Europe (England) originally and I dont want to go the socialism route,I still couldnt vote Republican after what Bush did to us,incidently I was one who wanted him to go in and take Saddam Hussein out I believed we were all doomed if we didnt .I will support him he is my President, but I like others who thought Hillary would have been better,however  think he will take a better middle course than the Media predicts.
and suzi-qu I dont want you silenced ,you are entitiled to your opinion as are we all I come here exactly for that , its called Freedom
'Twas the night before elections
And all through the town
Tempers were flaring
Emotions all up and down!

I, in my bathrobe
With a cat in my lap
Had cut off the TV
Tired of political ****.

When all of a sudden
There arose such a noise
I peered out of my window
Saw Obama and his boys

They had come for my wallet
They wanted my pay
To give to the others
Who had not worked a day!

He snatched up my money
And quick as a wink
Jumped back on his bandwagon
As I gagged from the stink

He then rallied his henchmen
Who were pulling his cart
I could tell they were out
To tear my country apart!

" On Fannie, on Freddie,
On Biden and Ayers!
On Acorn, On Pelosi"
He screamed at the pairs!

They took off for his cause
And as he flew out of sight
I heard him laugh at the nation
Who wouldn't stand up and fight!

So I leave you to think
On this one final note-
IF YOU DONT WANT SOCIALISM
GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!

For those who sat their lazy @ss at home and did not get out and vote, I THANK you for robbing me!
Hummm ,...amusing ..well I and every one I know voted and there was the biggest turnout ever ,even Black friends I have had for many years and never voted, turned out to vote, and I wont say a word about that .
i must have missed something because nothing in tucamore's post talked about being afraid of terrorists???? just that he didn't agree obama was best for the job.  
nobama......................people voted in record numbers this year !
They got off their arses to vote against opinions like yours and it worked.
Go Obama !  
Go AWAY racist's !
I'm assuming your name is "mary" and it's "all about you", right?

Who is being racist?  YOU are by bringing up "race".  This is NOT a black/white thing allaboutmary, HELLOOO did you not realize that NObama is Half WHITE and Half BLACK, wait I think using the word black is racisit now, so let me be more PC and say BROWN.  

I think you people focus too much on color on this site.  DO you even know what race I am?
Well, this "people" focuses on color, yet I am not a racist. Barrack Obama has a long road to hoe in order to get us heading back to a better America. This thread was finally coming together Rep. and Dem. and then here comes nobama trying to win the poetry contest.
   I voted for Barrack Obama, even knowing that he was Bi-racial, but it wouldn't have mattered had he been orange, purple, blue or whatever, he has the ability to change this America for the better. If he robs you, it's your own fault. Do you honestly think that the citizens of this country were blameless for the mess that we're in? It's hard to keep up with the Jones' and not get buried in debt. Unless you make over 250,000 a year you have nothing to b***h about.
I voted and my candidate won by a majority of both popular and electoral votes.  
well kiddthekat, I guess you'll be getting half my paycheck because I do make over $250,000 a year.  You act like there are few people who make that much which is pennies these days.  I bust my *** and work 70 plus hours a week for my pay, how much do you work?  How much are you willing to give up, how much are you willing to sacrifice. Charity should start at home.
and dont forget to spread the wealth guys.
why is it okay to tax the hell out of someone who has worked their *** off to make $250000 year?  i spent $100000 on my law degree and i'm still paying, but now my husband and i will be paying even more out in taxes, i'm sorry i don't see how that is equitable.