MedHelp Social Community
What Annoys You About Society?

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

What Annoys You About Society?

Hi All,

What annoys you about society as a whole?What would you do to change it? Please stay some what civil but please be honest...Remember these are personal opinions there is no right or wrong here.

It is nice to see that everyone thinks the world is just peachy.. Maybe I should have phrased the question differently.

But I do have a question.

Are healthy debaters actually welcome here if their opinions differ from the masses in this forum? After all debates have a pro and con side . I actually enjoy hearing other peoples opinions on things...I look at it as a learning opportunity...You never know when you might actually learn somthing or get a different perspective  from some one else....But to each his or her own.....
Well we are not allowed to talk politics here but other than that, cell phones to me are more of a nuisance than they are worth, and all the rude people have one no matter if it is in a grocery store, restaurant or even if your visiting with someone it seems they cannot turn it off. I even heard one go off in the court house. People need to learn phone etiquette. And why does a 6 year old need one anyway? lol  One of my pet peeves in society.
The MedHelp membership is global so societal issues can be quite different between countries and even within.  I would say my pet peeve about society is that too many people don't make themselves aware the realities of their world.  Elections have too small of turnouts.  I think this is mostly because people don't learn the issues of the day.  We need to learn, research, listen, debate!  The more knowledge we have the better decisions we can make in our lives and other's lives.  I truly think this lack of knowledge leads to many problems within our governments.  We can't make the right things happen without knowing the history and realities.
What annoys me about society is it's herd mentality.

And, I agree with you on the debate issue.
Right On! Great issues...

Here is my main issue and I think this is the reason behind some of the major issues today.

Entitlement or a 'Sense of Entitlement' is an unrealistic, unmerited or inappropriate expectation of favorable living conditions and favorable treatment at the hands of others.They may appear at times to care only about their own desires and needs at the expense of other people around them or they may habitually prioritize their own needs above those of others.

Bah Bah Bah...Said the sheep....
I completely agree about the herd mentallity...

I do not understand close mindedness.... There are so many different ways to look at things...There are many different way to achieve the same goal...

Please keep em comming....

Yes, the 'Sense of Entitlement'  and anti-intellectualism is a problem. I'm seeing so many of the youth feeling entitled to whatever they want without working for it in any way. I also see a growing trend towards "the good ole boy/girl" attitude, where intelligence is looked down on and called elitist, where setting the bar very low is acceptable, even desired, especially in our future leaders.
Has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? It is about the dumbing down of America.Yes it is a comedy but it may be showing us a glimps of our future..

"Idiocracy"... I love the title; but I never heard of the movie... it sounds intriguing.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check it out!
I dont know about dumbing down I find you all very clever you have a lot of knowledge , I do find that sometimes eyes are not wide open as they should be its easy to let stuff go instead of being involved ,kind of turning a blind eye .I feel sometimes the need to start to yell, wake up people ...
My biggest annoyance is people with no common sense or courtesy.  Like as if they are the only ones who exist in the world...I guess that could fall under the sense of entitlement category as well.  
i dont think the cell phones are a nuisance i think they are quite handy if you have an emergency or need to find some1 quickly or ask an important question but the kids thing i ABSOLUTELY  agree children do NOT need cell phones! some of my lil cousins and my DH's have way nicer ones that we can afford and i dont see why they need them at all!!  I also hate when people are walking through a store screaming at the top of their lungs on one drives me nuts you just wanna say shut up!!
Great points!

I think that sometimes people are not aware that they are actually being discourtious and rude. Some people have become so narcissistic they do not look outside their own little worlds  nor do the really even care. It is very sad....
People are nasty because they have been allowed to get away with it. Just because they are self important does not mean that they are important to me . I absolutely will not allow some one to be rude or nasty to me. I will call them out without a second thought. We do not have to put up with rudeness! Stand up for yourself!
People screaming at the top of their lungs while on the phone is ridiculous! I do not care about them nor do I want to actually even hear them. I will tell them to shut up.

Honestly, what bothers me is overgeneralizations and negativity.  I also find people who fly off the handle easily very difficult to deal with.  

Some how I feel that the last comment was directed towards me.LOL..
As passionate as I am about what annoys me I am that passionate about what I love aswell. I am loyal to my family ,friends and I am loyal to myself.My circle of trust so to speak....

Hypocrites are an interesting annoyance.Unfortuantly we all have them in our lives... They are normally the first to cast a stone. They judge you when infact they are doing the same thing and more than likely much worse. But these people will not hear such blasphemy...They are too busy trying to prove how pure they are by condemning others...To me they lead one of the saddest forms of existence ...
I do not throw rocks at others while living in my own glass house.  I always give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise....Unfortunatly in my experience they always have proven the latter.

Stormy you sound like my mother.  I thought I was bad, I just get annoyed and possible mutter something under my breath but she's the one who will tell them to shut up or point out that they are wrong.  The total lawyer in her.  But if I'm with her I'm hanging my head out of embarrassment.  But yes I agree, people do disregard other people so much that they do rude things without realizing it is rude.  I was just taught to be aware of my surroundings.  Like if I'm carrying a big bag, I know I have it on my shoulder, why do I have to twirl and hit people and then not even know I hit them?  This is an example because I don't do that, I know I have a big bag on my shoulder.
I do not just go around yelling at people....LOL  But if some one does somthing that affects myself or a loved one  then I will call them out. My mother is handicaped and it is amazing the utter disregaurd for handicapped people. If some one almost knocks my mom down your d*mned  right I am going to say somthing to them.

What would you all do in a case like this?

My husband and I are in the grocery store. There is somthing like an olive bar and it is self serve. There are containers and large ladle/spoons . There are also little sampling cups and spoons so you can take a little bit and try it first. My husband and I are at the deli counter which is located directly infront of this olive bar thing. There is a couple looking at whats there and trying to decide what to get. The wife looks at the containers,sampling cups and the other stuff. She proceeds to STICK HER FINGER  IN THE HUMMUS and put it in her mouth. I was in absolutle horror and disgust. I could not contain myself .I have eaten stuff from it before.
I said  I saw you  just stick your finger in the hummus? Thats absolutly disgusting and unsanitary.I told her that was one of the most disgusting and vile things I have ever seen some one do. She was embarrassed and should have been.I mean she had no defense to her action.She was 100% wrong.She proceeded to pretty much run out of the store. I was not the only person who witnessed this and I was not the only person who said somthing to her. This was not a child this was a grown a$$ woman who knew better. I mean was this B**ch serious? Who would do that?

A store employee rushed and did away with the hummus thank goodness. Needless to say I have not eaten anything from the olive bar to this day.....LOL

I too am aware of my surroundings. I go out of my way to be polite and curtious. Thats the way I was brought up.... If everyone in the world was like that the world would be a much better place.  :0)
Since you asked the quesiton . . . I will answer.  That IS disgusting regarding the hummus.  Yuck and double yuck.  But it is that old reality check----------  you never know what is happening with a "bar" or those free samples, for that matter.  Someone trying to dip their cracker into the dip and their finger gets in the way . . .  gross!  I've got to be really dying to try it to tempt fate like that.  

I think everyone has to handle things their own way.  We are all people trying to live our lives.  So I am not going to tell you that you are right or wrong in how you handle it.  I think some people do dumb or rude things out of ignorance------  I really do.  That can help me with my response to them.  But as the therapist in me always said to others . . . anger is a choice.  Some people use those trivial things in life as their opportunity to let the fury inside of them out.  (my husband . . . watch out if you get in his way while he's driving!  Someone may very well do something wrong---------  but he has such a response, I know it is the angry beast within vs. the actual event . . .  in his wife's humble opinion. And I do exagerate a bit to illustrate.)  

As I don't think it is my place to tell someone when and how to be angry------  I also don't think it is my place to be angry at everything other people do in the world.  Yep, I think it is rude to go around talking on your cell phone loudly . . . but I really don't care that much.  Why waste my energy with that?  I've got world's problems to solve. LOL

So what I would have really done in the instance with the olive bar was stop and watch.  (be totally grossed out) and gone and told a manager that they need to remove the hummus, point out the woman if she was still there and gone over to the refrigerator case and bought my prepackaged hummus.  Smiled to myself that I dodged a hummus bullet and gone home and enjoyed my day.  Not that that is right or wrong.

Everyone does dumb, rude and obnoxious things.  I do try to cut people some slack.  That is my approach.  Not saying it has to be everyone's.  But I do watch for those that make telling others off a habit as it is often indicative of other things.  (again, therapist talking in me.)  Please do not take that personally as I am not talking about you.  I don't  know you.  And even if I did, you are entitled to handle things any way that you wish.  

Sorry about your mother, stormyrenee.  I have a child with a developmental delay and I am fully aware of the insensitive things others can do. It is hard.  From another post, I know you love her deeply.  So rudeness is even harder to handle when it happens to our dear ones.  
ps:  I do not like hypocrites either.  That is why I always try not to be one.  (smile)
Oh specialmom, you sound just like the therapist we had.  My fiance and I have anger issues beyond belief.  I guess I get it from my ahem....mother and he gets it from his father.  So us together, well watch out.  I wish I was like you and I totally hear you and agree 100% with you.  Wish I could be that tolerant.  It takes so much strength out of me just to walk down one block here in NYC, without getting irritated.  People here, definitely self absorbed and it's infuriating.  I get home exhausted because dealing with people on the subways is no joke...lol.  It's like a free for all on rudeness.  I do expend too much energy on getting annoyed.  Don't think I can change that much, I've tried, but still can't...ugh!  Oh well...lol.

Stormy, I'm sorry about your mom and I know how you feel, I don't have any handicapped family members but I do have a 2 year old in a stroller and I can't tell you how many times people just cut directly in front of it and nearly fall onto my son.  Either I have to stop short but most of the times I clip their ankles by accident...lol.  Don't get in front of my stroller if you don't want to get run over.
Specialmom,

I completely get what you are saying...Believe me I do just let some stuff roll off my shoulders. Some things I just laugh about.
I am going to be completely honest here and possibly a bit sappy. Becomming ill has actually given me a different perspective on life. Things that were once important have become almost trivial. So it may not seem like it in my posts(rantings lol) but I have really mellowed out. But I feel that because I have lost control of my body so to speak that I try to find controll in other areas..I also suffer from a somewhat mild form of OCD. So feeling out of control is very hard to deal with... Enough of the sappy opening up stuff...LOL I was speaking to the therapist in you so what do I owe you? LOL

When I see a person that is handicaped I always have the thought "There for the grace of god go I"...You never know whats going to happen.So I go out of my way to be polite. I try to put myself in others shoes sometimes... I find it humbling....

Theresa....
Rude, selfish people.
I know what you mean guys I go out of my way now to speak or to help them its for me as much as them, I see the elderly getting the same short shrift...even in the stores by some caregivers usually the paid ones not family I may add.One instance I was in the store  looking for coffee and along came a younger woman and an elderly man , he was obviously out for an afternoons shopping and enjoying him self looking at the cans and foods on the shelves, she was rushing him along , no time , you could see and hear the impatience and the disappointment in his eyes ,,I felt like speaking up, but didnt.... what could I say that would help this woman be what she should have been , caring, patient and mostly Kind ..kindness is the most imprtant attribute a human can have in my opinion ...
margy I know how you feel, I think to myself why do they do this job if they are going to behave that way?  Karma is a bi tch and one day they will find themselves in that very same position and they better hope they have a nicer caregiver than they were.  
stormyrenee, sorry about your health problems.  And those things in life really do give us a new perspective, don't they?  My heart goes out to you.  Anyway, we are all human and we all get annoyed.  We all are also a work in progress.  Knowing ourselves well and why we do the things we do is helpful in being the best we can be.  And if everyone strives for that . . .  then the world will be a LOT less annoying.

And I agree about caregivers . . .  they don't know what we know.  That time is precious and someday they might be sorry they didn't appreciate the fleeting time they had with their loved one.  

And yeah, not a fan of the rude and selfish.  I guess we all have our moments but those that make it their day job are not fun to be around.  
How to achieve happiness by His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

For a start, it is possible to divide every kind of happiness and suffering into two main categories: mental and physical.  Of the two, it is the mind that exerts the greatest influence on most of us.  Unless we are either gravely ill or deprived of basic necessities, our physical condition plays a secondary role in life.  If the body is content, we virtually ignore it. The mind, however, registers every event, no matter how small. Hence we should devote our most serious efforts to bringing about mental peace.

From my own limited experience I have found that the greatest degree of inner tranquility comes from the development of love and compassion.

The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater our own sense of well-being becomes. Cultivating a close, warm-hearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. This helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the ultimate source of success in life.

As long as we live in this world we are bound to encounter problems. If, at such times, we lose hope and become discouraged, we diminish our ability to face difficulties. If, on the other hand, we remember that it is not just ourselves but every one who has to undergo suffering, this more realistic perspective will increase our determination and capacity to overcome troubles. Indeed, with this attitude, each new obstacle can be seen as yet another valuable opportunity to improve our mind!

Thus we can strive gradually to become more compassionate, that is we can develop both genuine sympathy for others' suffering and the will to help remove their pain. As a result, our own serenity and inner strength will increase.

This is one of my favorite messages and thought it fit the turn the thread has taken.
rude people, people who take things for granted, like health, a roof over their heads food to eat, and water from a faucet,,,a lot of people in the world dont have these things.

I also dont like lack of manners..holding a door, letting some one in in traffic, a simple thankyou !
People who are cruel to animals and children earn themselves a special place in hell .
These are the lowest of the low in my book. How can someone hurt the most defensless of beings? If ever an eye for an eye needed to be used it would be in these cases.
Micheal Vick is disgusting to me. Whats even worse though is the NFL for welcoming such a monster back with open arms. Also the support he recieved from the puplic with the he did his time B.S. or it was just dogs.No he got caught and thats the only reason he is sorry. This monster now even has a television show where he is protrayed as a mentor/role model. There is so much wrong with this I dont even really know where to begin.

Also I believe there is a very twisted sense of reality and priorities. I'll use  Madoff for a perfect example. Ok yes this man took alot of money from people and he should be punished. But there are murderers and child molesters that recieve a fraction of the sentence that Madoff got. There is something very wrong with that. So what is being said is that Money is more important than human life. This ideology just makes me sick.

Just wanted to say that yesturday was a tough day for me and the quote you left for us regarding happiness was helpful.  thanks
I agree that it does seem like we're getting dumbed down. Look at all the labels they now have to put on everything (like don't put your pet in the microwave) just to avoid lawsuits. We have cars that will talk to us, give us directions and soon will practically drive for us, I'm sure! Computers and other electronics do just about everything for us so we don't even have to think anymore! I don't know how many times I've gone to a fast food chain and had to tell them how much change to give me because if they didn't have the machine tell them they freeze. Once I worked at a retail store and when the electricity went out we had to close down. It makes me wonder what would happen to this world if we didn't have computers controlling things so much.

Other than that I guess what especially bothers me about society as a whole is manners seem to have gone out the window. People will shout out curse words for all to hear with no qualms, cut you off in traffic or slam doors in your face. I am so glad when I do see good manners anymore because it seems to be getting more and more rare.
I also hate seeing fakeness, whether it would be in politics or just regular people, I just wish people would be real and honest. If I go to a mechanic I have to trust that they won't cheat me. I tend to be too trusting so it's hard for me to see dishonesty and such. Yet I still like to see the best in people! We're all human, after all.

And I loved that quote you gave, StormyRenee. It was so right on the mark on everything. Very wise man and very wise words. Thanks for sharing!
I do agree about that horrible Michael Vick I actually didnt dare read any details its too disturbing I have also never understood how these judges can give a few years for child mollestors  and people like Madoff go in for life for fraud ,I think he was made an example of. As for the cursing ask any Brit thats what they do , it will get worse for a while I think unless we can turn it back again ,,morality will become a thing of the past if we let it,already' Pot' use is up, drinking will go the same way .,fighting at ball games and drunkenness outside pubs ...Hold onto your hats ...
Speaking of fighting at games, I think the worst is the parents fighting at their children's sports events! Now that is disgusting. What a terrible example they are showing their kids.
I am glad that you all enjoyed the quote....  :0)

Oh the lable thing... One of my personal favs is on coffee containers from coffee shops..."Warning contents my be very hot" ...Really ?

Since Pot use is up you would think folks would be more mellow..

Parents can set such bad examples for their kids...Fighting at childrens sporting events  is just ridiculous...My husband coached football for a while and some of the parents were banned from the games for acting stupid....

I think some parents take things too seriously.  It's about fun for the kids.  Who cares who wins or loses...that's how kids grow up with the pressures and stress of being number 1.  With the thoughts that they can't disappoint their parents and the unrealistic view of the world.  They need to learn rejection so that when it does happen, they don't take it so hard.
I agree with the idea that parents put unrealistic expectations on their children.  How many kids grow up feeling like they never pleased mom and dad?  That is sad and creates insecurity and resentment down the road.  Not every child will be a straight A student or a star athlete.  I think all kids learn naturally about rejection and disappointment.  Parents can guide them through coping with it affectively but there is no way around it, they will feel it.  My son has had the experience already at 6 when someone doesn't want to play with him.  That crestfallen face hurts a mother's heart but it is the reality of the world that not everything is to our liking.  My goal with my kids is to promote doing the best that you can and that even though you don't win the game . . . you can still be proud of your effort.  My husband coaches a lot of teams (my kids for their age have done lots of sports activities . . .  they are busy guys and we need outlets!) and he travels a good deal so then I step in his place (those poor kids!!! LOL) and it is a tough lesson to teach kids that you are a winner even when you don't win.  It is that inner strength of knowing that winning the game is awesome but trying your best is a close second to that.  My husband and I look at it like a character lesson.  I am protective as a mother of my children's feelings and do my best to soothe and help them when they are disappointed.  At the same time I am trying to help them learn how to deal with it as it is a part of everyone's life.  
I hate that people are continuesly trying to "keep up with the jones" !   This causes people to go into debt they don't need just to out door their neighbor. Also the fact that people look down on you for not doing it yourself...
HA my post was deleted. guess i'm not allowed an opinion. nice.
What did you write penswriter?
Penswriter I am curious aswell .What did you write?
I am not a fan of censorship!

I hate the fact that it seems greed is taking over...I have to hope it can be turned around, but we see it in business, in politics and in every day life.  People that will sell their soul for the almighty dollar, no matter who it hurts or how...

Has anyone checked out the coffee party?  I can't talk about it here, but go check it out.  very interesting stuff....
the current economy annoys me, and the lack of jobs thus very high unemployement rate...in Detroit 50% are w/o a job.
I think it's sad that we cannot talk about politics on here...
I have looked into both Tea and Coffee parties.....I agree it is very interesting.....

Things have definatly "Changed" havent they folks and not for the better.....
See if this gets deleted.....
that there isn't a whole lot that i like and i want to move to canada.

i'm tired of society accepting teenage pregnancy as okay...as normal. it's not normal. (which i know the us isn't the only country with out of control teenagers), the rude, selfish greedy people, and not to start anything political but the government. of obama. (that's NOT to start anything. it's MY own personal opinion.) this country is going to h*ll in a hand basket. just from listening to some of my friends and younger cousins...the future is screwed.
Tell you what guys you can talk about it there is a Current events group, its not private, there are also private groups that talk politics you can join you just ask the member who started the private group,you can say what you like MH leave them alone within reason, check them out..The way to change things is to fight for them, not leave ,you dont like something you dive in with others to stop it,  ....We the People' remember ......
Hey I still think this country is the best most exceptional country of the face of the Planet ..the future is only screwed if we allow it to be.....
I know the grass always looks greener on the other side but there really is no perfect utopia anywhere, no heaven on earth. Every country has it's own problems. I'm proud to be an American, always will be. Yes, I see changes that I don't like but I believe and see that there are still a lot of good people and good oportunities here in America.
As for the teenage pregnancy issue, I'm not sure it's anymore out of control than it's ever been, nor do I believe all pregnant teens are rude and greedy. I do agree that many of them are probably left alone too much (to get in to trouble) while their parents work but unfortunately in this day and age most parents have to have  two incomes to survive.
Sometimes things just happen, though, and teens make bad decisions. It doesn't mean they're bad kids, just that they made a bad decision and need us adults to help guide them more than ever. We need to try to help and have compassion on these teens and guide them in the right direction. I'm sure we've all done dumb things as teens. Maybe not getting pregnant but maybe trying alcohol, driving too fast, etc. It's a wonder most of us grow up just fine after doing some of the dumb things we do! It helps when we have adults in their lives who believe in them and encourage them to reach for the stars and follow their dreams, even if they may get side tracked. It doesn't mean the end of the world.
I still believe in my country and even though I'd love to visit Canada or other countries, I would never want to trade my citizenship for any other country. We all have to stand strong, be alert, help each other, support each other, get involved in what's going on around us and stick together. We can't just give up because that's when things will fall apart, when we give up in defeat. Our country is still one of the greatest countries there is, I believe. We have so many opportunities that other countries don't. That's why so many risk losing their lives trying to come to our country. They know they have better opportunities here.
As a woman, I thank God I live here and not in one of those countries where women have no rights. They are property of their husbands and can be beaten or even killed legally. They cannot vote, drive, talk to another man or show their faces. If there husband divorces them he gets the kids and she has abosoloutly no rights to them or anything else. I thank God that I live in America where I still have freedom and I will fight for that freedom. I pray God will continue to bless not only America but everyone on here and all across the world. Peace!
Good post.  :)
i agree with april2 on what she had to say bout everything! but my pet peiev is raciest people omg i cant stand when people automatically think your from mex n dont speak english because ur latino. it is the worst for me. racisim.
The Uk also suffers with this problem Stormy, our immigration laws are so slack (not political just a fact) I have no problem with people moving here from other countries but all i do ask is learn our language, dont expect handouts & dont ram your religion down our throats, we accept you but try to be accepted??!!

another pet peeve, people who come to work in a mostly male work place when they cant handle a bit of banter or bad language?? I work in a dock yard but women who come to work here expect to be treated like royalty, no swearing, no sexist jokes.
the boys here are really well behaved but still?? what planet??
oh i forgot to add, they wear short skirts & skimpy tops to work, not suitable, you wouldn't wear it to school to teach children, so why wear it to a dock yard???
I think no matter where they work the men could still be respectful of the women there and knock off the sexist jokes and remarks. That's never ok no matter where you are. But I agree, they shouldn't be wearing skimpy skirts and tops either!
Ha Ha not in England as honesty will attest , come from bawdy saxon /viking roots ..The men in Britain are a lot more chauvanistic than here ..LOL
The rich snobs. The men & women of the world that act like they are superior and better than everyone else because of their money, because they have a nice car/house/clothes etc.  & the fact that society makes many women, especially young girls feel they need to be as skinny or pretty as the celebs.

I do expect to be treated with respect in the workplace. But I also like a dirty joke now and then too. It does not bother me if a male coworker compliments me in a positive way. Something like your hair looks nice today or nice outfit .Not hey nice boobies....LOL....
I think it is classless in any situation to wear a skirt so short that your hoo hoo is  almost showing....Leave somthing to the imagination girls....I worked in the beauty industry for years. I always kept it fun but professional.I never understood why fellow female stylists dressed so slutty.

I am sooooo tired of reality shows.....They seem so scripted to me.  Has any one seen Jersey Shore? Are these people for real? I read that they now get 10 grand per episode to act and look ridiculous...What the heck is this world comming to....

well they have to pay for those fake tans somehow Stormy! I must admit i have only seen the advert & that was enough to put me off!!
Another pet peeve that i forgot yesterday, Horation Caine in CSI Miami, i love these shows, its good escapism but how is that bloke still employed on a 'prime time' tv show? he cant bloody well act, talk about wooden!!

I dont think my comment above was sexist, its just that if you come to work in a DOCKYARD you must expect it to be a little more rough around the edges, if you cant take the occasional dirty joke, go & work in accountants or solicitors!
I agree with you completely .I worked at several car dealerships in my younger days. Which I can imagine is pretty simular to a Dockyard. Sometimes you just have to let stuff roll off your shoulders....Also if you give the men crap right back it sometimes scares and surprises them. They will tuck their tail and run....

Who are we kidding ladies..We can be just as raunchy as men at times. LOL
i grew up in house & family of mechanics & now live with one, i can say, pretty honestly that dockers are worse, but only a bit!! & yes, there are benefits to working with a lot of men, there are a few 'pretty' ones!! Window shopping! LOL

Oxygen Thieves (look it up its a real term on wikipedia!)

Oxygen Thieves are best characterized by their innate ability to sit around serving absolutely no purpose except to steal oxygen from those who are actually working.

there lots more to this but go & have a look, its hysterical!!
I am annoyed by ostentatious piety and ostentatious so-called "patriotism"
Wow, I hope that wasn't a shot at me since I said I was proud to be an American, especially since I don't really know you and you don't know me. I try very hard not to be judgemental. I just speak my thoughts and how I feel and try to be honest but I thought we could be free here to speak our minds.
If it wasn't directed at me then my apologies. I just wanted to clarify, don't want to be overly sensitive or anything. I hope I'm wrong and it wasn't directed at me or anyone in particular. I know how easy it is to misunderstand things online like this, especially when we don't really know each other.
No, I was not thinking of you at all.  I do not find you ostentatious at all.  I was speaking in general terms.  

jd
Ok, just checking! Didn't want any bad feelings for no reason at all. That's why I always try to make sure I understand things correctly and clear the air of any misunderstandings. Thanks! :)
I have seen them "olive bars" or whatever they are called in the HEB's in TX where i live and i have always REFUSED  to go near them for that reason you say LOL! I remember when i worked at a fast food place that had a salsa bar well one day a grandmother came in with like 3 grandkids and EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM ran to that salsa bar and stuck their lil grubby fingers in EVERY container! and i got to be the one to clean them out and refill them I was VERY mad about that! At any rate after that i cant get that thought out of my head every time i see one of them "bar" things i think EEWWW gross god knows who put their hands in that thing!!
Oh oh.  And another thing!  Here is something else that really bothers me . . .  when someone doesn't agree with you on a point that you (as in the proverbial you and no one in particular) immediately call them stupid, ignorant, racist, uninformed and a myriad of other unfavorable names.  One should always remember that others of equal intelligence can have a different and just as valuable an opinion.  
specialmom,
Right On! I could not agree more!

jdwithhcv,
What do you consider an Ostentagious show of Patriotism?
Piety? In what terms do you mean piety? Reference to god/religion?
Or are you refering to Piety as having dutiful respect  and regaurd for ones parents, homeland and beliefs?
I am not a religious person by any means.But I do respect others rights and beliefs. I  Love My Parents, My Country, and I Stand Behind My Beliefs. I also would die for those things! So If those things make me one of those Ostentagious Pious people that annoy you, I am proud to be one and would not have it any other way!
The same people who you condemn are the same people who have fought to give you the freedoms we have today.

Love it when someone else makes my point for me.  
specialmom....lol.
Maybe I am missing somthing here...???? I have asked this before .Are healthy debaters really welcome like it says in the forum discription?
Yes these are personal opinions . Everyone has the right to have an opinion and to voice their beliefs. I gave my own personal opinion just like the person did that I was commenting about.
It is my opinion to condemn patriotism is to condemn everything this country was founded on.
Whether wrong/right, agree/disagree I will never apoligize for my beliefs or for who I am.Nor should any one else.
I did not once call names or anything even remotly close to that.I did not say that I was better or more intelligent. All I did was voice my opinion...I am not condesending nor am I self important. I do not repremand people for speaking their minds.
If the initial poster took offense to my response then they should be the ones calling me out on it. No one else.

No point in getting mad about it Stormy, some people like to stir the pot.  You have a right to your opinion and your beliefs and frankly, she was being very civil.
They sure did make your point for you ..I was also wondering what is considered an Ostentatious show of Patriotism ..is there such a thing, Patriotism speaks for itself .If it is ostentatious isnt that a good thing .
I only get mad sometimes because I think some folks take my directness for meaness. Which I am not a mean person at all....I thought I was actually quite civil in my comment..

I too was asking what exactly was meant by the ostentatious piety thing. Because those words have several differnt meanings....
clarification for stormyrenee------  not talking of you!  Sometimes I can hear your passion but hear your kindness as well.  My original comment was more general to all.  
I knew what you meant and that it was not directed towards me.... ..... :0)
Why does it bother you what I think?  
One thing that really annoys me about society (and this is from personal experience) is when people stop and stare at people cause they are different!! My little brother has Downs Syndrome and also alopichia so he is totally bald!!! That was a hard thing for us as a family to accpet and get on with! As if hes life is not hard enough, he now has no hair which makes people stare even more!!! Even adults, and then when they see we notice they are looking, they give that pathertic smile thats says "Im so sorry" ..

Some people are so ignorant, it sickens me!
Jennifer that would bother me to.  I never stare and you do feel bad but I bet your brother is happy and that's all that matters.
He is very happy! He'd laugh at anything!!!! It doesnt bother him at all.. Its me it bothers lol..... But Im the type of person who just stays quiet, if they wana stare they can!!!!! Just shows their ingorance!!!
I am annoyed by bad manners.  Take that as you will.  There will always be some that can work on this.

Jennifer, people are sometimes obvlivious to what they are doing.  They stare and aren't even aware of it.  I'm sorry that your brother is on the receiving end of it.  I have little boys that are checking the world out each and every day-------  and I look at those moments as a teachable one.  Your brother does sound like such a happy boy and I love to hear you speak of him as you do so with such love.  
That would bother me also.  I'm glad to hear your brother is happy, but I also understand how much you want to protect him from ignorant people.  You're exactly right, that's what it is, ignorance!

I lost my hair while taking chemotherapy.  I thought it would bother me more than it did.  It sure did bother other people though.  I got a lot of stares.  Usually I would just put on a scarf or a bandana, gypsy style, more for other people than for myself.

You sound like a good sister.  

jd
Oh, its the adults that annoy me, kids well they dont understand!!!! And ya im mad about him!!! Hes adorable and very funny and smart!
My father was out one day and an adult asked him did my brother go through treatment cause he lost his hair!!! the person was so up front about it my dad was left in a state of shock!!!  Some people dont understand cause they dont go through it!!!
Jennifer, I mean this sincerely.  Some people ask questions like that out of caring.  My dear friend has a 3 year old that was born severely physically impaired.  He has a rare syndrome that results in his looking very different.  People ask her questions about it and she looks at it as they care enough to ask.  She is a very posative person and has found a smile on her face and a good attitude about her son's special needs makes others ask even more questions.  And she is happy to answer as she can slip in how great her boy is doing and how loved he is.  Now if it were my child, I don't know how I would feel.  But I admire her attitude and outlook on human nature.  

None the less, I'm sure it brings out a very protective side which is also human nature.  You are so right that others don't understand until they go through it and would possibly not appreciate some of the things they themselves do if it were them.  
I am very protective of him but I also feel he needs things to toughen him up!! We have so many good people here that just love him to bits, my friends and neighbours and well the locals of where I live. Anytime they ask questions its out of the good of their heart!!! They truely want to know how he is and everything. I love talking about him cause Im so proud of him, he has been through more than me! Open heart surgery at 8 months old, as he was close to dying, many theray sessions, both speack and physical!!!  

Its when the strangers ask the arrogant questions, and say that they are sorry for the fact that he has Downs that tics me off.. We're not sorry, we wouldn't have him any other way!! I guess its just a personal thing for me!!
No, Jennifer. I'd feel the same way.  He's a wonderful thing in your life and in this world and those strangers who comment, stare or whatever have no business classifying it as anything but that.  I get it. Peace for you, brother and family!
Aww, thank you!
Yes, thats exactly it. We are the most cruel animals of all!!

I have studied the past five years for a degree in Health and Leisure, and within this course we worked with different people with different disabilities! And we have learned that we should not look at their disability, its thier ABILITY we should look at!!!! Its what they can do that we need to focus on, not what they cant do!! thats why it annoys me.. I thought so many kids with DS to swim, and Im telling you they can swim better than you or me!!! It was a plaesure to do and a thing I will contune to do!! just a smile from the kids i taught was enough to make me happy!
I mey someone who had a son who had Downs I thought he was a great guy he was kind and helpful it would not occur to ask what it was like I knwo hpo wthat must have felt but I dont think folks do it on purpose sometimes they dont know what to say, instead of accepting him simply as a great young man and talk to him the way you would to any oither.I have felt very sorry for the nasty flak Sarah Palin has had about her Downs child and the young Daughter who got pregnant ,it has been too much and very unkind.,the holier than thou attitude some folks have. I have heard you chat before about him I am sure you will miss him whilst you are in Alaska ..
oh crumbs that keyboard again I am sorry , for my typo's ,I have got a new one with further spaced apart keys, just got to connect it .
Oh, il miss him so so much!!! He is just a joy to be around and always puts a smile on my face!!! So ys, when I go to Alaska Il miss him like crazy!!!!!
The thing that bothers me most is bigotry of all types - any time a person doesn't like someone because in some way they perceive them to be different. Religion, nationality, ethnicity, more intelligent or less intelligent, vegas vs. meat eaters - any time someone just jumps in and hates because of one of those reasons I hate them back.

I guess that makes me just as guilty in a way in fact (but I've never claimed to be superior or anything quite the opposite in fact).

I think what JD was disliking was people who are fake and put on a show thinking it will impress others somehow, like someone who writes a whole long post and you can just tell they are trying to 'sound' so wonderful and heartfelt and perfect that it crosses the line into lala land if that makes any sense. Usually most people can see the untruth in them too, fortunately. It doesn't matter to me if it's about patriotism or medicine or religion or whatever - it's all the same.
Honestly, pretty sure it runs deeper than that and not worth anyone's time.  Let's move on.  Patriotism is a beautiful thing and I think we can all agree to that.  
Patriotism is indeed a beautiful thing.  I object to the ostentation, though.
Why is passion ostentatious?
Its not.
My response to jdwithhcv's question got deleted.... ???

Really Moving on.....

I have mentioned how I feel about animal cuelity before.
This morning on the news theres a story about a woman who got angry at her 2 puppies and put them in a large metal trash can and set them on fire. It made me just sick! This woman said that she was afraid that the puppies would bite her and thats why she did it.I dont know about all of you but I dont really care what a dog did my first respons would not be to set them on fire.Her family said she had no history of mental illness...Which is hard for me to believe. You do not go from being normal one minute to burning dogs the next.Whats wrong with people?
This is somthing that I am very passionate about and I volunteer with animal groups.I protest  and try to educate the public on proper animal care and treatment. I do whatevers necessary and am committed to the cause.I back up what I say and believe.

I think ones idea of Fakeness/honesty is relative to ones existing beliefs. If we already are leaning towards a certain direction we are prone to believe that one truth. An example would be how I feel about people who abuse animals. To me they are all horrible people and they cannot be rehabilitated. There is nothing that anyone could ever say to me to convince me otherwise. So in that situation my truth already exists.
If some one were to write a post on the rehabilitation of animal abusers I would already have my mind made up that it was complete B.S.. We as humans are open minded to a point.

See . . . passionate.  I like it.  I think you have to really know someone to declare them a fake/dishonest.  Anyhoo---------  what I do really like is that you can feel completely this way Stormyrenee but at the same time the person who wrote the post about rehabbing those who torture animals can also be speaking the truth for them.  And they are entitled to their opinion on it as well.  Right?  We don't have to buy into what another is saying for outselves but can respect their right to believe as they wish.  
Thats exactly what I am saying.
Wow!
Now that I have went back through the posts there seems to be quite a few missing...
The great and powerful Medhelp has spoken...LOL...
I have another one.  Given the news on Sandra Bullock and Jesse James.  Cheaters is what annoys me.  How infidelity has just taken over every relationship.  That's what annoys me.  That it's ok to be the other woman/man in a relationship, without thinking about the people who will be hurt along the way.  Maybe affairs have always been around, it was just never talked about or flaunted.  It just disgusts me.
Agreed Mami---------  cheating is such a destructive thing and hurts many people in the process.  I value loyalty and take pride in being honest in my relationships.  I don't like how what is okay in this society keeps getting pushed past a certain line and hope that cheating will always disgust the masses and be frowned upon.
I agree, I have been through it with my ex. And I must say it makes me feel sick every single time I think about it!! It has affected me worse than i thought it would. I have not been in a relationship since, and thats like 8/9 months now.. Im to afraid!! That what annoys me, they can get on with life, we cant!!!! I am not the cheating type and as much as i would have loved to hurt him, I would not stoop to that level!!!!!!
Totally....I'm just now realizing that the people who go along with the cheating spouse are just as bad.  What happened to moral values?  It's disturbing.
Unfortunatly the act of cheating usually doesnt have anything to do with the relationship itself. If a person is going to cheat they will do it no matter how  their marriage/relation is going.The cheater is the problem .You could be the most perfect person in the world and the cheater will never be satisfied.I have never understood why people cheat.If you want to be single then be single. People always want their cake and to eat it too.
It must be very difficult to be a celebrity and to try to maintain a healthy relationship.Your always in the public eye being probed and photographed...It must be terrible.....
Ya, look at Ashley Cole and Cheryl (not sure if ye know them in America). She is the most stunning person ever and he cheated many times.... Most hated man in England and Ireland now!!!

But ya when the person who they cheat with knows that they are in a relationship, well thats just as bad.... Its cruel and horrible!! And its not just the act of cheating that is the problem. its what people are left with, emotional stress, heartache, trust is broken and many people can become paranoid that everyone is out to get them!! Thats my personal experience and not something I liked!!!