What Annoys You About Society?
Hi All,

What annoys you about society as a whole?What would you do to change it? Please stay some what civil but please be honest...Remember these are personal opinions there is no right or wrong here.

well they have to pay for those fake tans somehow Stormy! I must admit i have only seen the advert & that was enough to put me off!!
Another pet peeve that i forgot yesterday, Horation Caine in CSI Miami, i love these shows, its good escapism but how is that bloke still employed on a 'prime time' tv show? he cant bloody well act, talk about wooden!!

I dont think my comment above was sexist, its just that if you come to work in a DOCKYARD you must expect it to be a little more rough around the edges, if you cant take the occasional dirty joke, go & work in accountants or solicitors!
I agree with you completely .I worked at several car dealerships in my younger days. Which I can imagine is pretty simular to a Dockyard. Sometimes you just have to let stuff roll off your shoulders....Also if you give the men crap right back it sometimes scares and surprises them. They will tuck their tail and run....

Who are we kidding ladies..We can be just as raunchy as men at times. LOL
i grew up in house & family of mechanics & now live with one, i can say, pretty honestly that dockers are worse, but only a bit!! & yes, there are benefits to working with a lot of men, there are a few 'pretty' ones!! Window shopping! LOL

Oxygen Thieves (look it up its a real term on wikipedia!)

Oxygen Thieves are best characterized by their innate ability to sit around serving absolutely no purpose except to steal oxygen from those who are actually working.

there lots more to this but go & have a look, its hysterical!!
I am annoyed by ostentatious piety and ostentatious so-called "patriotism"
Wow, I hope that wasn't a shot at me since I said I was proud to be an American, especially since I don't really know you and you don't know me. I try very hard not to be judgemental. I just speak my thoughts and how I feel and try to be honest but I thought we could be free here to speak our minds.
If it wasn't directed at me then my apologies. I just wanted to clarify, don't want to be overly sensitive or anything. I hope I'm wrong and it wasn't directed at me or anyone in particular. I know how easy it is to misunderstand things online like this, especially when we don't really know each other.
No, I was not thinking of you at all.  I do not find you ostentatious at all.  I was speaking in general terms.  

jd
Ok, just checking! Didn't want any bad feelings for no reason at all. That's why I always try to make sure I understand things correctly and clear the air of any misunderstandings. Thanks! :)
I have seen them "olive bars" or whatever they are called in the HEB's in TX where i live and i have always REFUSED  to go near them for that reason you say LOL! I remember when i worked at a fast food place that had a salsa bar well one day a grandmother came in with like 3 grandkids and EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM ran to that salsa bar and stuck their lil grubby fingers in EVERY container! and i got to be the one to clean them out and refill them I was VERY mad about that! At any rate after that i cant get that thought out of my head every time i see one of them "bar" things i think EEWWW gross god knows who put their hands in that thing!!
Oh oh.  And another thing!  Here is something else that really bothers me . . .  when someone doesn't agree with you on a point that you (as in the proverbial you and no one in particular) immediately call them stupid, ignorant, racist, uninformed and a myriad of other unfavorable names.  One should always remember that others of equal intelligence can have a different and just as valuable an opinion.  
specialmom,
Right On! I could not agree more!

jdwithhcv,
What do you consider an Ostentagious show of Patriotism?
Piety? In what terms do you mean piety? Reference to god/religion?
Or are you refering to Piety as having dutiful respect  and regaurd for ones parents, homeland and beliefs?
I am not a religious person by any means.But I do respect others rights and beliefs. I  Love My Parents, My Country, and I Stand Behind My Beliefs. I also would die for those things! So If those things make me one of those Ostentagious Pious people that annoy you, I am proud to be one and would not have it any other way!
The same people who you condemn are the same people who have fought to give you the freedoms we have today.

Love it when someone else makes my point for me.  
specialmom....lol.
Maybe I am missing somthing here...???? I have asked this before .Are healthy debaters really welcome like it says in the forum discription?
Yes these are personal opinions . Everyone has the right to have an opinion and to voice their beliefs. I gave my own personal opinion just like the person did that I was commenting about.
It is my opinion to condemn patriotism is to condemn everything this country was founded on.
Whether wrong/right, agree/disagree I will never apoligize for my beliefs or for who I am.Nor should any one else.
I did not once call names or anything even remotly close to that.I did not say that I was better or more intelligent. All I did was voice my opinion...I am not condesending nor am I self important. I do not repremand people for speaking their minds.
If the initial poster took offense to my response then they should be the ones calling me out on it. No one else.

No point in getting mad about it Stormy, some people like to stir the pot.  You have a right to your opinion and your beliefs and frankly, she was being very civil.
They sure did make your point for you ..I was also wondering what is considered an Ostentatious show of Patriotism ..is there such a thing, Patriotism speaks for itself .If it is ostentatious isnt that a good thing .
I only get mad sometimes because I think some folks take my directness for meaness. Which I am not a mean person at all....I thought I was actually quite civil in my comment..

I too was asking what exactly was meant by the ostentatious piety thing. Because those words have several differnt meanings....
clarification for stormyrenee------  not talking of you!  Sometimes I can hear your passion but hear your kindness as well.  My original comment was more general to all.  
I knew what you meant and that it was not directed towards me.... ..... :0)
Why does it bother you what I think?  
One thing that really annoys me about society (and this is from personal experience) is when people stop and stare at people cause they are different!! My little brother has Downs Syndrome and also alopichia so he is totally bald!!! That was a hard thing for us as a family to accpet and get on with! As if hes life is not hard enough, he now has no hair which makes people stare even more!!! Even adults, and then when they see we notice they are looking, they give that pathertic smile thats says "Im so sorry" ..

Some people are so ignorant, it sickens me!
Jennifer that would bother me to.  I never stare and you do feel bad but I bet your brother is happy and that's all that matters.
He is very happy! He'd laugh at anything!!!! It doesnt bother him at all.. Its me it bothers lol..... But Im the type of person who just stays quiet, if they wana stare they can!!!!! Just shows their ingorance!!!
I am annoyed by bad manners.  Take that as you will.  There will always be some that can work on this.

Jennifer, people are sometimes obvlivious to what they are doing.  They stare and aren't even aware of it.  I'm sorry that your brother is on the receiving end of it.  I have little boys that are checking the world out each and every day-------  and I look at those moments as a teachable one.  Your brother does sound like such a happy boy and I love to hear you speak of him as you do so with such love.  
That would bother me also.  I'm glad to hear your brother is happy, but I also understand how much you want to protect him from ignorant people.  You're exactly right, that's what it is, ignorance!

I lost my hair while taking chemotherapy.  I thought it would bother me more than it did.  It sure did bother other people though.  I got a lot of stares.  Usually I would just put on a scarf or a bandana, gypsy style, more for other people than for myself.

You sound like a good sister.  

jd
Oh, its the adults that annoy me, kids well they dont understand!!!! And ya im mad about him!!! Hes adorable and very funny and smart!
My father was out one day and an adult asked him did my brother go through treatment cause he lost his hair!!! the person was so up front about it my dad was left in a state of shock!!!  Some people dont understand cause they dont go through it!!!
Jennifer, I mean this sincerely.  Some people ask questions like that out of caring.  My dear friend has a 3 year old that was born severely physically impaired.  He has a rare syndrome that results in his looking very different.  People ask her questions about it and she looks at it as they care enough to ask.  She is a very posative person and has found a smile on her face and a good attitude about her son's special needs makes others ask even more questions.  And she is happy to answer as she can slip in how great her boy is doing and how loved he is.  Now if it were my child, I don't know how I would feel.  But I admire her attitude and outlook on human nature.  

None the less, I'm sure it brings out a very protective side which is also human nature.  You are so right that others don't understand until they go through it and would possibly not appreciate some of the things they themselves do if it were them.  
I am very protective of him but I also feel he needs things to toughen him up!! We have so many good people here that just love him to bits, my friends and neighbours and well the locals of where I live. Anytime they ask questions its out of the good of their heart!!! They truely want to know how he is and everything. I love talking about him cause Im so proud of him, he has been through more than me! Open heart surgery at 8 months old, as he was close to dying, many theray sessions, both speack and physical!!!  

Its when the strangers ask the arrogant questions, and say that they are sorry for the fact that he has Downs that tics me off.. We're not sorry, we wouldn't have him any other way!! I guess its just a personal thing for me!!
No, Jennifer. I'd feel the same way.  He's a wonderful thing in your life and in this world and those strangers who comment, stare or whatever have no business classifying it as anything but that.  I get it. Peace for you, brother and family!
Aww, thank you!
Yes, thats exactly it. We are the most cruel animals of all!!

I have studied the past five years for a degree in Health and Leisure, and within this course we worked with different people with different disabilities! And we have learned that we should not look at their disability, its thier ABILITY we should look at!!!! Its what they can do that we need to focus on, not what they cant do!! thats why it annoys me.. I thought so many kids with DS to swim, and Im telling you they can swim better than you or me!!! It was a plaesure to do and a thing I will contune to do!! just a smile from the kids i taught was enough to make me happy!
I mey someone who had a son who had Downs I thought he was a great guy he was kind and helpful it would not occur to ask what it was like I knwo hpo wthat must have felt but I dont think folks do it on purpose sometimes they dont know what to say, instead of accepting him simply as a great young man and talk to him the way you would to any oither.I have felt very sorry for the nasty flak Sarah Palin has had about her Downs child and the young Daughter who got pregnant ,it has been too much and very unkind.,the holier than thou attitude some folks have. I have heard you chat before about him I am sure you will miss him whilst you are in Alaska ..
oh crumbs that keyboard again I am sorry , for my typo's ,I have got a new one with further spaced apart keys, just got to connect it .
Oh, il miss him so so much!!! He is just a joy to be around and always puts a smile on my face!!! So ys, when I go to Alaska Il miss him like crazy!!!!!
The thing that bothers me most is bigotry of all types - any time a person doesn't like someone because in some way they perceive them to be different. Religion, nationality, ethnicity, more intelligent or less intelligent, vegas vs. meat eaters - any time someone just jumps in and hates because of one of those reasons I hate them back.

I guess that makes me just as guilty in a way in fact (but I've never claimed to be superior or anything quite the opposite in fact).

I think what JD was disliking was people who are fake and put on a show thinking it will impress others somehow, like someone who writes a whole long post and you can just tell they are trying to 'sound' so wonderful and heartfelt and perfect that it crosses the line into lala land if that makes any sense. Usually most people can see the untruth in them too, fortunately. It doesn't matter to me if it's about patriotism or medicine or religion or whatever - it's all the same.
Honestly, pretty sure it runs deeper than that and not worth anyone's time.  Let's move on.  Patriotism is a beautiful thing and I think we can all agree to that.  
Patriotism is indeed a beautiful thing.  I object to the ostentation, though.
Why is passion ostentatious?
Its not.
My response to jdwithhcv's question got deleted.... ???

Really Moving on.....

I have mentioned how I feel about animal cuelity before.
This morning on the news theres a story about a woman who got angry at her 2 puppies and put them in a large metal trash can and set them on fire. It made me just sick! This woman said that she was afraid that the puppies would bite her and thats why she did it.I dont know about all of you but I dont really care what a dog did my first respons would not be to set them on fire.Her family said she had no history of mental illness...Which is hard for me to believe. You do not go from being normal one minute to burning dogs the next.Whats wrong with people?
This is somthing that I am very passionate about and I volunteer with animal groups.I protest  and try to educate the public on proper animal care and treatment. I do whatevers necessary and am committed to the cause.I back up what I say and believe.

I think ones idea of Fakeness/honesty is relative to ones existing beliefs. If we already are leaning towards a certain direction we are prone to believe that one truth. An example would be how I feel about people who abuse animals. To me they are all horrible people and they cannot be rehabilitated. There is nothing that anyone could ever say to me to convince me otherwise. So in that situation my truth already exists.
If some one were to write a post on the rehabilitation of animal abusers I would already have my mind made up that it was complete B.S.. We as humans are open minded to a point.

See . . . passionate.  I like it.  I think you have to really know someone to declare them a fake/dishonest.  Anyhoo---------  what I do really like is that you can feel completely this way Stormyrenee but at the same time the person who wrote the post about rehabbing those who torture animals can also be speaking the truth for them.  And they are entitled to their opinion on it as well.  Right?  We don't have to buy into what another is saying for outselves but can respect their right to believe as they wish.  
Thats exactly what I am saying.
Wow!
Now that I have went back through the posts there seems to be quite a few missing...
The great and powerful Medhelp has spoken...LOL...
I have another one.  Given the news on Sandra Bullock and Jesse James.  Cheaters is what annoys me.  How infidelity has just taken over every relationship.  That's what annoys me.  That it's ok to be the other woman/man in a relationship, without thinking about the people who will be hurt along the way.  Maybe affairs have always been around, it was just never talked about or flaunted.  It just disgusts me.
Agreed Mami---------  cheating is such a destructive thing and hurts many people in the process.  I value loyalty and take pride in being honest in my relationships.  I don't like how what is okay in this society keeps getting pushed past a certain line and hope that cheating will always disgust the masses and be frowned upon.
I agree, I have been through it with my ex. And I must say it makes me feel sick every single time I think about it!! It has affected me worse than i thought it would. I have not been in a relationship since, and thats like 8/9 months now.. Im to afraid!! That what annoys me, they can get on with life, we cant!!!! I am not the cheating type and as much as i would have loved to hurt him, I would not stoop to that level!!!!!!
Totally....I'm just now realizing that the people who go along with the cheating spouse are just as bad.  What happened to moral values?  It's disturbing.
Unfortunatly the act of cheating usually doesnt have anything to do with the relationship itself. If a person is going to cheat they will do it no matter how  their marriage/relation is going.The cheater is the problem .You could be the most perfect person in the world and the cheater will never be satisfied.I have never understood why people cheat.If you want to be single then be single. People always want their cake and to eat it too.
It must be very difficult to be a celebrity and to try to maintain a healthy relationship.Your always in the public eye being probed and photographed...It must be terrible.....
Ya, look at Ashley Cole and Cheryl (not sure if ye know them in America). She is the most stunning person ever and he cheated many times.... Most hated man in England and Ireland now!!!

But ya when the person who they cheat with knows that they are in a relationship, well thats just as bad.... Its cruel and horrible!! And its not just the act of cheating that is the problem. its what people are left with, emotional stress, heartache, trust is broken and many people can become paranoid that everyone is out to get them!! Thats my personal experience and not something I liked!!!