MedHelp Social Community
What does everyone think about President Obama always being late for pr...

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

What does everyone think about President Obama always being late for press conferences?

I do understand that he is busy but doesn't this show disrespect.  I feel that if you are President of the United States then you should be responsible enough to be on time for all events, since you are running the Country and all.

I am late for everything but I am also not planning on running or being President.  I do know that this is something that I need to improve on and shows others that I am irresponsible when it comes to time management.  

President Obama knew that this would be a tough job to take on but he should at least be respectful and make sure that he is ready for anything that comes up.  Also, is he going to handle terrorism by not making it a timely issue.  What will happen if someone decided to attack the U.S. again?  Will he say that he is sorry for not handling this problem in a timely manner?  I don't know but I just do not feel comfortable with the way he runs this country.  I guess that is why I did not vote for him.   And, I know that all of you that voted for him think he does no wrong, but at least acknowledge the fact that him being late is not such a good thing.

It is a power play.  I know many of my colleagues (I am an attorney) intentionally keep their clients waiting 10 mins or so before appointments.  I don't like it.  Especially in the pres, I would never never be late to court, and I think we deserve that same respect, since the public in this case is the "judge".  I do find it a disrespectful purposeful show of power.  
I wouldn't say he does no wrong. A total honest person who doesn't have some games to play doesn't become a politician to begin with. There are always pork barrel politics and special interest groups to pander to or you don't win. For any politician. As for press conferences its understandable because the president is the leader of our country. Press conferences tend to be something where a president has to make a good impression and meanwhile they are taking care of speaking to the legislature and signing bills into law and coordinating the whole politicial affairs of our country. As regards terrorism though I find it very depressing that when George Bush was president that at the exact time of 9-11, he was reading "My Pet Goat" to a group of school children. That whole day was completely uncoordinated and so many American lives were lost. Clearly much more could have been done to prevent it. I am not assuming Obama will do the right thing. I just happen to respect more of his policies. That doesn't mean he'll live up to them.
Yeah a lot more could have been done to prevent 9/11 and it started with President Clinton.
Not one to disagree. As I said I don't agree with all the actions of presidents straight down the board. As I've said though the support for the Mujahadeen (who later became the Taliban) started under President Reagan though. I'm not a big suppporter of interventionism and any war (such as the current war) or group we offer military aid to should be to protect America otherwise we need to keep out of harm's way.
I agree with alicat it is a matter of control he is telling the press and the World, I am the Boss ....so what about the fact today he has said our Warriors ,who are injured will pay for their own health care!!
he is the president so he can do whatever he wants to do and being late to a conference is nothing you people should look at the important stuff he is doing like putting money into the states or trying to help you keep a job and thats the important thing.
He is totally out of line stating that the veterans of the War will pay for their own Health care.  Does he forget that they kept America safe from attack for the past eight years?  No, the only thing that he thinks about is changing all the policies from the current administration and getting back at them for what he says they have done to us.  When is he going to realize that if we did not have the military or war we would have been overthrown a long time ago.  America would be dead..................................

I would also like to know what he would have done instead of War to protect this country after 9/11.  Remember he was a supporter of the War.
First of all, putting money into the states, for What?  The states make the decision what to do with this money they are given and trust me this is not used the right way.  Second of all, if you think that he is helping to bring jobs, then you are soarly mistaken.  The economy is not doing better because of Obama.   You know what Obama and the democrats are doing?  They are using fear as a catalyst to lose jobs and cause panic in our banks so that they can save the economy from failure and come out as heros in the end.  They have done this so many times.  The economy is not good, but remember who caused the problem with the housing crisis, Barney Frank and his buddy who worked with Fannie Mae.  He should be held responsible for his actions, but of course we cannot do this since the democrats are head of the congress and Senate.  Why would they want to hold their own people accountable.  Also, there are several Republicans that need to go down along with some Democrats for the economy being the way it is.  

He is arrogant and pompous, that is why he feel that he can be late and do whatever he wants.  One day, people will realize that he is not equipped to run the country.  
Honey you must dont have a clue do you? You must be mad because you have to come out of your pockets to pay more for taxes, your fault!! And second of all if he didnt dish out that money I'm pretty sure your state would start to sink and eventually you would too!! And whats wrong with the veterans paying for their own insurance they get it cheap as hell anyway so its not going to hurt them, I'm pretty sure they pay less than you do so lets get with the program sweety!! And kept us free from attack yeah they did that for us true enough but they went over their to find weapons of mass destruction or at least thats what we were told. The only thing they did was get our soildiers killed because cheney had a motive but I bet you dont even know what that is do you MS. REPUBLICAN. And thats not OBAMA'S fault that BARNEY FRANK and HIS BUDDY made the housing crisis, He's just trying to help. And far as causing fear as a catalysts to cause fear @ the banks HONEY they were screwed a longtime before the democrats won the house so get over it and deal with it we won and you didnt : )
Excuse me..... I would still like to know why our wounded in action and severly injured Warriors have to pay for their own health care, I dont mind  contributing... as a daughter of a veteran, a grandaughter of a veteran ,a wife of a veteran , a sister of a veteran, especially as Mrs Obama has been doing the rounds speaking to the wives of our Military and has made the Military Families her "cause Celebe"
Yes and I agree with you. I am for some form of national health care with a graduated premium but that is one group that should be automatically included considering that they served our country. It is a departure from his origin take on the issue. That's why I wouldn't say I am one of the people who believes Obama can "do no wrong" even though I voted for him. This is a disappointment.
Oh, I have a clue alright.  I know that you are so blind to see what is really going on.  As far as Obama helping anyone.  I am sorry to say that he is only out to help himself and his cronies.  I never said that I liked Cheney.  I think Cheney is a moron.  I am struggling just like the rest and I certainly do not make anything near what you think and I am self employed as a residential cleaner.  So, you can think that I may not understand but you are so so wrong.  Our veterans deserve only the best and I would hope that all americans would contribute to this or you are not AMERICAN.

I understand that you all are out to screw anyone else that does not share your views.  I have morals and that is all I have to say.  You all may have won, but you will not succeed in many of the issues that you will try to change for your benefit.  I am not a Republican, I choose the best person for the job.  I can tell when someone is trying to deceive people and be dishonest.  

So, you can have your power for now but eventually God will handle it.  He always does.............................
And what cronies are you talking about the Democrats! I guess there is a problem when you have good people trying to save the economy and help the needy people (you) that need it. And explain to me how is he out for his self? SWEETHEART HE MADE HISTORY HE DOESNT NEED A PENNY OR ANYTHING FROM THE GOVERNMENT OR THE PEOPLE he's set for life and not including the 400,000 he's  gonna make every yr for the next four yrs ( OH YEAH I MEAN THE NEXT EIGHT, THATS WHEN WE GET HIM REELECTED). And oh yeah succeeding is winning and thats what we did. SWEET VICTORY : )
Cronies are not just Democrats, they are Republicans as well.  If you think Good People are politicians then you are very misguided.  You are right, he did make history and I just hope that he does not make history regret it.  Hey, if you voted for him and you think he is wonderful and almighty, more power to you.  Needy! I am definitely not needy.  I work for myself but I also take care of families and individuals with special needs, cancer, and various other problems.  I do just fine on my own.  Making alot of money is not the only thing in life and if that is the only important thing then I guess I will fail.  I make enough money along with my husband but helping and caring for others is much more rewarding.  He only made history because he talked the talk but alot of people can talk it's the walk that counts.  I would not expect you to understand or to actually admit if Obama is wrong.  

I respect your opinion but I just do not agree.  So lets just agree to disagree.  I have respect for people for having their own views and opinions.  Debating a subject is not a bad thing it is very healthy.  

I did read that you were trying to get pregnant and I really do wish you the best of luck.  Having a child is one of the most rewarding things in life.  I have one who is 11, and of course my husband who is 36, lol.  I just hope and pray that Obama does do the right thing and that he does not dissapoint his supporters.  
Do me a favor and open your eyes and ears and stop follwing the "chosen one" for every word he speaks. You want something real...what did he campaign on...no ear marks. Guess what is loaded into the 1st two major bills he signs ear makrs. Didn't he also say no lobbiests in his administration? He did but shhhh he already has some in his administration.
So to take a play from the liberals the last 8 years...he's a liar. he lied to everyone. impeach him for lying. liar liar. See how stupid that sounds? But it sounded so golden to people like you for the past 8 years.
Well you know what Melissa I thought of the same thing before I went to bed last night, people do have different views on everything. And I never said that I was defending everything he does because I'm sure he will probably make a decision that I dont agreement with, but its o.k he's only human and he's gonna make mistakes so of course I dont think he is wonderful and almighty. And as far helping others I'am a very compassionate person who has to deal with sick people every day in a hospital setting. I just wish people would give the guy a chance to at least see what he can do, he hasnt even been president for a good six mths yet and people are complaining. So this is not a badge the republican or democrats fest I just felt that I needed to say that at that moment.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    p.s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Having a baby is such a joy and I hope I will have the chance of getting to have that joy, so thanks for the comment.
Get over yourself!! That subject was so yesterday, so you can push your chest back in and quit the rapid breathing now were moving on to a new subject cronie!!
Hummm         hes on Jay Leno show tomorrow , another first for the President of the United States..wonder if he;ll be late .......
should the president really be on jay leno?  should he have time for a late night entertainment show?  it seems a little, i don't know the word....
I don't really care if he's late, my day is not planned around that 10 minutes, if it is a power play, it doesn't work for me.

A thought I have though, is that a single person is not to blame, the guy was a smooth talker from the start, guys like that just make me nervous. I personally wouldn't want to be handed the house of cards he has to deal with. I'd have to have a bottle of sleeping pills as big as I am to sleep at night. I've got my fingers crossed.

Veterans and health care?

This story is minor compared to what many of the veterans go through, but please bare with me.

At a very high end restaurant near me a party of people entered for a night of fine dining. One of them however didn't meet the stringent dress code. He had a fine suit with all of the proper items included, in short, dressed very well. The problem, he was wearing sneakers. Without an explanation for his attire, he was turned away and of course the rest of the party followed. His choice for not offering an explanation is of course his choice, as I understand, possibly a feeling of shame, or just not wanting to make it an issue, period. As it turned out, he was a returning veteran, returning from Iraq, returning from a hospital and a prolonged recovery, attempting a recovery from emotional and physical trauma that no one should have to endure. It was a celebration evening, and had there been an explanation, they would have found that this gentleman had left his leg in Iraq. He had not yet been fitted with a pair of dress shoes for his prosthetic leg.

Had this man lost his leg in an industrial accident, auto accident, anywhere where a private company is involved, an attorney would be seeking millions of dollars for his loss, he probably would have received it. But he didn't he lose it in an accident, he was told to go to war and defend his country. Whether or not there is any debate over our country needing to be there, or if it was right, is beside the point. As far as this man goes, he did what he was told to do, he was defending his country and our freedom.

There are lot's of veterans out there in the prime of life, without body parts to fully enjoy the rest of it, not to mention the increase of suicides, and emotional damage that will haunt most of them forever.

Insurance for veterans will be expensive, maybe some of our crooked representatives in Washington could give up a couple of pet projects that cost millions upon millions of dollars to help pay for it.

Just a thought.  

health care for vets should be a given, done deal, no questions asked.  
Guessagain:      Well said.   We all have to remember that no matter if you agree with the war or not, they volunteered to give their life for us.   I know one other person who did this for us, JESUS....................

All:  As far as Obama being on Jay Leno, he is the only President to do this while in office.  I find this very disturbing.  What is he still campaigning?  Of course he is.  He wants everyone to fall for the tricks that he has up his sleeve.  He is not a celebrity, he is the President of USA, which is held to much higher standards.  This is what I mean about his arrogance.  His walk and talk and being as smooth as he is, is very disturbing to me.  I hope he does the right things but he sure is on the wrong track.

you got it, i couldn't put my finger on why i didn't like it -- yes, he is NOT a celebrity, that's it.  
I just wanted to say that we do remember that Obama is human and does make mistakes.  But, then why does everyone seem to think that Bush is not aloud to make mistakes.  Why is Bush held on higher standard?  He is human as well.

Although he is not a celebrity, he is a good actor.  He has definitely fooled alot of people.....................................................LOL
I dont think he makes mistakes for good or bad hes clever and he likes being in control ,hes calling the shots, remember his words..CHANGE" thats what he is doing with all our bessings , changing America.......
He'll be on time......it's the spotlight. I would just like his feet held to fire and explain the whole deal with AIG again, and again, and again, until him and his team come up with the right results. I suppose they did a thorough screening of questions.

They all make mistakes, big and small, it's how they cover them up that counts. Myself, I know that anyone of them, either party, is more intelligent and knowledgeable than I am, but maybe if I knew what they know, I'd be scared half to death.
Is that what America really wants.. I dont think so .. health care ..they wait in lines for months /years for operations , you have no idea,
OMG people, give the guy a chance! He hasn't been in office long enough to do anything that proves out to be right or wrong yet. You people would have had Jesus hung on the cross long before he actually was.
Much depends on a person's position in society, some can't get one at all, or they will never be done paying for it.
Obama being late?
I see we have another inane thread made up primarily of thoughtless, baseless and rather inarticulate posts. You guys really are too much but I will say one thing - you're getting funnier and funnier with each passing day.
Such silly outrage.
Are you guys skipping school perhaps - grade school?
I am surprised that we haven't yet had one of these in depth discussions about Obama not insisting that everyone who enters the Oval Office wear a coat and tie. Bush did and he always looked quite dapper in my opinion.
Mike
I personally don't care if he's late for press conferences.  Personally, I think he's doing too many right now!  But, that's my opinion.  I also agree our war veterans deserve their medical care paid for 100%!

I honestly think that there is too much disrespect going on on both sides of the aisle.  Personally, it's time WE THE PEOPLE spoke up for what we believe and argue these points with our congressmen/women and our senators!  They are the ones that need to hear what we think!  Fighting among each other is exactly what they want - then we are distracted on what they are doing on the side!  And, this goes to both parties who think they are above the law and should not be held to a higher standard!  
I wish we would all go back to the day after 9/11 and remember how we pulled together as a nation and stopped fighting over whether you were a liberal or conservative - we should never forget we are AMERICANS first!  The parties have gotten out of control with their own agendas!  

(Just want to state I never want that to happen to us again, but I do wish we'd get back to respecting each other and helping each other no matter what we believe!  
Then in all of your mighty why not construct a thread that is meant to worship Obama since that is what you are looking for.
Or construct a thread that will speak on something that you deem has merit instead of  just bashing other people?
Well I certainly can see Obama has made some errors myself. As I said that issue about health care coverage for the veterans makes me have less respect for him. One thing though that disappoints me is that Obama from the beginning seemed to take a stance that he would unite people around basic common causes that were good for all Americans, some form of affordable healthcare, providing jobs for people who were out of work because of the reccession, trying to end racial divides. And in including some of the former Bush administration in his cabinet to not have a continuous conflict between the two parties. If the name of the president alone and a discussion about him brings out this much diviseness than perhaps he has failed at this. And this diviseness during a time when the United States is trying to finalize a war to stop the casualties in America and keep America safe as well as end a major reccesion would be a set back for all of America. I myself although I have my own positions on certain issues would not want to be a part of this but its been a long time since there's been a presidential candidate who fullfilled their campaign promises from Clinton's promise of universal health care to Bush' "Read my lips. No new taxes". Regardless of stance integrity is something expected in any politician but its rare to find.
Check that!!!  Amendment to my previous post, smooth talkers AND articulate educated people make me nervous.
Any politician who is playing games with people in general makes me nervous. Its just hard to get elected without doing that. Frankly I would like to see an end to Political Action Committees and advertisements and go back to the time when politicians weren't elected by how much they got in politicial contributions. In any recent presidential election there have been polls comparing how much each candidate recieved. That should not be a measure of intregrity or support. Quite the opposite. Education is a complex thing. It depends whether someone uses their knowledge against people or for them. Any issue that is going to deprive the average American of basic freedoms is not in any manner a good thing. Its just hard to figure out how to balance out the economy in a way that doesn't burden taxpayers. But the bailout of the banking industry which started under Bush and continued with Obama seems more to benefit the top level executives in the banking industry than anyone else. I doubt any of them will have to worry about a pay cut, let alone losing their job and yet a lot of their financial malingering is what caused the reccession to begin with.
you don't like articulate educated people?  that really seems odd to me?
You could' not have said it anybetter mike! I totally agree with you. And for those who are supposed to be neither Democrat or Republican ( you know who you are ) you are seeming to be very defensive these days about Bush and the bashing of Democrats only makes you sound like a republican, So if I was niether I would not only bash obama but I would bash bush ( OH BUT YOUR NOT NEITHER SO I GUESS IT DOESNT MATTER HUHH!! ) Such hypocrites!!
I'm starting to see why this country is so NOT united!  Very sad indeed!
I stand corrected, it's the ones who imply their level of education makes them superior to the less fortunate because of their inability to be articulate. Sorry, I'm just one of the less fortunate.

I've done work on a regular basis for 30 or more professors at a major university in past years. Not one of them did that to insult anyone.
Cheney said in a recent interview (if you can call tossing softball questions with no follow up an interview) that he didn't think Bush was responsible for our economic troubles. He said Bush inherited a recession. So after 8 years as President Bush is not responsible but Obama after less than 3 months is.
Oh yeah, Cheney also said that we achieved our goal in Iraq. And what was our goal? According to **** Cheney it was the democratization of Iraq. That was the first I heard of that. I foolishly believed our goal was to protect us from weapons of mass destruction. Well, I really never believed that but that was what Bush and Cheney were selling.
This crazy revisionist history gets no play in the liberal media. John king of CNN never challenged Cheney. It was shocking.
Incidentally, I have several issues with Obama so far. I have been disappointed to be sure. But, I feel far safer with him in office than I would if McCain were President. The problems we face are way beyond him in my opinion.
I haven't indicted Obama's economic plan yet. If I have learned one thing it is that trickle down or supply side economics is unsustainable. Real wages in the middle class have been stagnant since the early 80s. First we tried 2 wage earner families and that didn't work. Then we abused credit cards and finally we mortgaged our homes just to keep up. And during that time the disparity between the rich and the middle class increased exponentially until we are about where we were in 1929. Without wages we have no demand for good and services - it just isn't trickling down and it really hasn't since the Reagan era. Yes, in fact, our national debt skyrocketed during his rein - didn't it go from about 3 to 5 billion to 3 trillion? I could be wrong about that but I think I'm close.
Mike
Mike:
I'm not sure we ever had 3 trillion in national debt.  I think the worst of our debt is during our times, right now.  But, if it's true, it's probably because Jimmy Carter chose to forgive the loans that were made by us to other countries while he was in office.  I love Jimmy Carter, but that was one huge mistake. Nobody is telling us to not worry about what we owe them.  I personally believe in trickle down economics, but the problem is we have greedy politicians who have allowed some companies to get away with virtually anything as long as it lined their pockets.  I believe this is everyones problem, not just democrats or republicans!  They are all to blame!  Just my two cents!
No those statistics about the national debt are correct as is the fact that the debt increased markedly during the Reagan administration and continued throughout the first Bush administration and was markedly reduced during the Clinton administration and went up again during the second Bush administration. I'm sure there are many complicating factors but what was difficult during the Reagan era where there was much talk about "no big government" there was much wasteful spending and misdirected funds on a governmental level and that may have been one of the causes. Jimmy Carter was an idealist and like anyone who thinks in this manner his ideals may very well not work in the real world but his committment to develop alternative fuels and not be dependent on foreign oil should never have been abandoned and are only now are being looked into again. If the countries in the middle east could not manipulate the global economy by raising the price of oil and if we had clean energy sources that could be developed in the United Sates their importance politically would drop and we would not have to rely on countries that are complete dictatorships for our energy which powers our economy.
Here is the issue, It does not matter who we chose or why we don't like or do like the new President.  The only reason I wanted to know about him being late was just out of respect and to get your opinion.  I did not want everyone to attack each other personally.  That was not my intent.

We all are Americans here and we need to respect each other's views and not be attacking each other personally.  We each do not really know what your life is like, if you are poor or wealthy, Republican, Democrat, or articulat.  WE THE CITIZENS OF THE US NEED TO HELP EACH OTHER SO THAT GOVERNMENT DOES NOT THINK THAT THEY HAVE TO DO IT.  THE REASON WHY WE ARE IN THE POSITION WE ARE IS OUT OF OUR OWN GREED AND SELFISHNESS.  GOD WANTED US TO BE RESPECTFUL NOT ARGUE AND ATTACK PERSONALITIES.  EVERYONE IS UNIQUE IN THEIR OWN SPECIAL WAY, AND THAT IS WHAT GOD INTENDED.  WE ALL SEEM TO FORGET THAT THE WORLD WAS NOT BUILT BY POLITICIANS OR GOVERNMENT.  IT WAS BUILT BY GOD AND GOD ONLY.  LETS START BY AGREEING TO DISAGREE BUT NOT FORGET THAT WE ARE ALL AMERICANS AND OUR COUNTRY NEEDS EACH AND EVERYONE OF US.  IF WE DO NOT LIKE WHO ARE LEADER IS, THAT IS OK, BUT WE STILL NEED TO GIVE HIM OUR SUPPORT.  GOD WOULD WANT US TO GIVE HIM THAT.  THAT STILL DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH HIM.  WE ALL WANT AMERICA TO SUCCEED SO LET'S START BY RESPECTING EACH OTHER.  

I AM SORRY THAT MY POST CAUSED SO MANY PROBLEMS.  I WISH THAT THOSE THAT ATTACKED ME PERSONALLY WOULD REALIZE THAT I AM A HUMAN BEING WITH FEELINGS JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND IF YOU DISAGREE WITH MY POLITICS THAT IS OK BUT PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THAT I AM STUPID, UNEDUCATED, WANTED JESUS TO DIE SOONER, LAZY AND POOR.  i AM NONE OF THESE THINGS AND I DO NOT APPRECIATE THE PERSON ATTACK ON ME OR ANYONE ELSE.  PLEASE LEARN TO RESPECT EACH OTHER AND THEIR OPINIONS..................I LOVE YOU ALL NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR ARE.  
It just got to be a heated debate. I don't think people have issues with each other so much as President Obama for good or for bad. Its not a pleasent time in American history. We have to find a solution to a war that's been ongoing and is hard to resolve and there is a complete economic crisis. People are somewhat panic stricken. I would be the first to say there are people far worse off than me. By far. And that I can't help many people. There are many people out there in the community who do far more than I or other people do. Technically under the Constitution the goverment is there to serve the people. People can't govern themselves. There are many decisions regarding the war, the economy and overall legislation that need to be made on a larger level. People just feel the government shouldn't interfere in their lives. What's going on does not have an easy or obvious solution and frankly if as I've seen on a local level there were community meetings where people can address the local councilmembers in my neighborhood and people could propose things it would be better. But America is too large and complex. I don't really see any hatred or antagonism. All of us come from different walks of life and have different opinions but ultimately I think we would respect each other if we met each other and have more in common than me thought.
  As for press conferences they really a briefing where the public and the media are informed of the government's decisions and can sometimes be a media circus so it all depends.
Well I saw it as an interesting debate more than anything.....Thanks guys some good input .