MedHelp Social Community
What is the WORST or Most BIZARRE Christmas Present you have received o...

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

What is the WORST or Most BIZARRE Christmas Present you have received or given?

I know I have gotten and given some real doozies for gifts through the years.  What are some of the most bizarre or odd things you have given or have received through the years (non-gag gift) - come on, keep it clean!

For example, my Mom gave me a toy chest when I was little that looked like a coffin - I swear.   It scared the **** out of me and refused to put my dolls in it.  She is always giving weird things - like last year, she gave me an antique (I love antiques) CHAMBER POT - in other words, a toilet that people used before plumbing.  Just the can part of it that they carried the poo out to dump it.  

Tags: gifts, christmas, bizarre, FUNNY
This is an easy one. 5 years ago we had Christmas with hubby's family. We had a Chinese Christmas because there were over 100 people there. Of all things to choose, I picked up a small box, it was heavy, I figured maybe chocolate. It was a dam 7 in one wrench for working on vehicles!! And of course no one else wanted it and I got stuck with it. So, from that day on we have Christmas at home. Never did find out who bought it............................
An out board for my husbands boat,also some really horrible cheap perfume one year from my brother , Violets or something, mind you he was only 10 years old
My husband gave me a laser pointer so I could play with my cat.  
My oldest son's father gave me HALF of a 2-pack DVD pack one time.  He wanted the Armegedon movie so I got the other one - a shootem up which I never would have wanted, but the wrapper was still on it to see it was half of the package.    Of course, he used to get my son things that he wanted, too, like remote control cars when he was 2.....  
a former co-worker of mine had a husband who would give her the craziest gifts, and she loved the heck out of that man, because she would laugh her head off, whereas it would have made me insane! anyway, one of the gifts i remember he gave her was a SHOWER CAP -- yes, a shower cap! we all laughed about it for months, but if it was my husband, i wouldn't be laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a salad shooter from husband, told him kithen items where a no no for christmas.
My weird sister gave my mother a singing Santa Clause taking a bubble bath one time.  We all just looked at it like ....ok???  that's weird.....
OH and my weird sister also (who is a hair dresser) is famous for giving samples that she gets from the shop - but her most famous and still laughed about was a vibrating hairbrush that she gave to the brothers in law.  It supposedly helped with hair loss.. you should have seen their faces.  It was hilarious.  I told my husband at the time that I was going to use it ..... hmmmmm
a friend gave me some bath beads bath salt stuff once. I guess it would seem like a good gift to give to most people, but since I take showers that stuff would go to waste.  I did deliberatly take some baths just to use it up and since it also claimed to help clean the bath tub along with it.

I don't remember any really off the wall gifts I've gotten lately besides that, but from friends and family I've gotten things like:

Stuffed animals/teddy bears - those get burried in my room or closet since I don't know what to do or where to put them

cheap art sets - Yes I like art supplies but things like Rose Art or Crayola can be left out.  I sometimes will use them for boredom art or practice. Rarely do I use them for serious art. Cheap water color sets are a no-go.

clothes that don't suit my style or fit.  'nuff said...

My MIL gave me an artificial flower bouqet that said "MOM" for a mother's day gift.  I didn't realize it was a grave marker until way later.  I still wonder if she knew what it was for and was trying to tell me something LOL.

And I REALLY hate when people give me cheap gifts from the dollar store!!  I can tell if it came from the dollar store and that's not for gifts. I can understand getting the basket itself from there but not everything in it too :-)  

I guess it started young since I was the kid who always got the cheap coloring book or the hat and scarf set on pollyannas after I bought something really nice like a cool toy or something for my pollyanna partner.....SIGH!!
My then SIL always bought me clothes for Christmas size 18  every year,I think she did it just to annoy me,and it did! So I gave them away every year.She was a real cow.MOO
OH!  I forgot!  When my exhusband and I were getting divorced - it was right at Christmas and my FIL and MIL weren't happy with me, to say the least.  They got me a HUGE sweatshirt (you know the ones with the built in collar on the neck with a kitty kat screenprinted) that said, "Home is Where the Heart Is!"  

I always thought it was a jab of me being heartless.  My 19 year old son still jokes about it - calls it my Big Momma shirt.  If I am frustrated he will say, "Momma, you know HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS!".   Just laughs his tell off!
A female neighbor once gave me panties....I don't even know what to say..man..
I got a package of freezer burnt fish from my ex's grandma.  Guess i mentioned i liked fresh perch at one point.  She must of had them since she was 20 yrs old.  She gave them to me when she was 80!!!!  I just smiled and said thank you.
When I was pregnant with our first child, my grandmother told my husband I needed some panties or "drawers" as she called them. He didn't know what size to get-she said to just get the biggest size they had. At Sears, that;s what he said he told the clerk. I had 3 pair of size 15 "drawers".No, They didn't fit. Too small? NO! That same year, my grandmother gave me a useful gift, she thought and I guess it really was. Cowgirl, mine was not an antique, it was a brand new white pot. Not a cooking pot. My grandmother called it a "slop jar." Don't know if any have ever heard it called that.She was a dear lady. Always giving to others. Lived the sayin, "Better to give than to receive."
Mine pot is a subject my friends love to discuss.  It's actually the inside of a chamber pot where they did their business and took it out in the morning.  When I got it I looked down in to see if there were stains.  It's that cast iron with white metal paint with a red tipped edge on it and a metal handle.  

I have it in my kitchen on a shelf.  My friends are always teasing me about me using the "bedpan" when I get old.

My Mom is the same way.  She LOVES to find odd things and give them to us.  She gave me a jar of marbles one time she found at a flea market.    
Hey cowgirl, My pot pan whatever did not sit on shelf, I used it. It was a blessing I was sooobig could hardly move. I to look for old and unique things. I purchased my grandmother's hose after her death in '87. In a closet, I found a bedpain, cast iron with white paint/ chipped, aand with a black painted edges. The thing I was not used to seeing---to the cack of bedpan a urinal extension extends and curves out. How neat. I love to go searching and finding neat stuff up there. My aunt has told me there is a large bag with new silver dolloars in the attic. Must be 60+ years old or more. Cant't get courage to go look. Afraid of snakes and critters. I'll dream of the wonders that may await should I change my mind and enter.
I have inherited my Mom's unusual outlook on things, too.  She is just the queen of the odd finds.  I bought a house a few years ago that had a big barn and you should see the treasures I found in there.  Junk to others - treasures to me.  The previous owners had lived there until their deaths and she was a home economics teacher.  I found a pressure cooker, canning jars, old ice trays, just tons of stuff.  I loved it.

I think because she knows I like odd things is why she gets me that stuff.  To her, everything is a treasure though and she could really benefit from being on "Clean House" because she throws away NOTHING.  
I am a teacher and I work in a poor community.  Many times the children give us gifts for Christmas from their house, 99 cent store, etc.

Well, one year, I was exchanging gifts with a few teachers..just token gifts...I gave one of the teachers an adorable teacher wreath with her name on it.

I guess she didn't think we were exchanging.  She gave another teacher a beautiful wreath to hang on her front door...you can tell very expensive and this teacher was quite weathy to boot.  .....She gave me this trinket that was from a dollar store that said $1.99  that one of her students most likely gave to her. She told me it was from an "ANTIQUE STORE!"

Well, I was extremely insulted for her to give this to me and say it was from an "antique" store.  She simply could have said she didn't think we were exchanging and I would have completely understood.....but I made sure that she found out that I didn't believe her load of garbage.  She had a friend of hers who owns an antique store write me a letter saying that the ceramic thing was an "antique bought in her store!!!"  SHE JUST WOULDN'T LET IT DIE!!! Well, this thing had a chip in it so I told her to exchange it for a new one.  Of course, the store was "sold out" and then, she proceeds to get me a gift from the "antique store" after it...it was a Green Oval Box....with a gold ribbon....yes, you heard me, a GREEN OVAL BOX with a gold ribbon......NEED I SAY MORE?????
The gift those children woul have chosen, to me, would have meant the most to me. If the teacher was giving, just tobe giving, well that gift would not have meant as much no matter where she got it. But for a teacher or a child to give me a gift, no matter where they got it ( home or $$$ store ), ifit came from their heart---that would say it all, It wouldn't have mattered if it was slightly damaged. BUT on the other had, it damaged and telling the recipient it was an antique..that would have mad me angry. Not sure of what I might have said, ????Not sure I could have received the gift in the spirit that I had given my gift. Where I previously worked, they didn't want to exchange gifts anymore. Why? Well some said we spend x amt dollars on gift we give and then we receive a" llittle cheap gift that is worthless to us." My reply was.. you have made the best choice not participate. We will not miss your prescence. May have ben cruel, but they were more cruel in my opinion. As I have mentioned peviously, not sure if on this forum or not, I live to thrift shop. This Christmas and for special gifts year round I am shopping at many thrift stores. Without a job, this has to take back burner at times. I have foung many expensive gifts, some even with price tags attached. A note is attached with gift telling it came from thrift store and reason for so. Most of the gifts, if bought new, I probably would have felt out of place shopping in the stores they were sold in due to the cost. I take time searching for just the right gift and the recipient is aware of that. 99% of recipients are proud of gifts. The 1%..well if thy don't want I wish they would return to me. Am I wrong for being/feeling like this? If I am please pray for me. In my family I'm knwn as the Thrift Store Santa. I give the gift that keeps on giving. In giving, I give love and shouldn't love keep on giving? Closing. Going to put pride in back pocket. Gooing to DFACS. Hopefully will be able to get some assistance with meds since being out of work.
Of course I love all the gifts my students give me!  They come from the heart and I cherish them all!  To me they are all PRICELESS!  My situation was that another teacher ran to her room and "regifted" a gift from a student that was given to her and tried to play it off like an "antique"...I was upset because I can't believe that she thought I was such a moron!  She was suppose to be my friend...she simply could have said, I am sorry that I do not have anything to exchange with you...or better yet, SAY NOTHING AT ALL and just say thank-you for the gift I gave her....BTW...I didn't want to accept ANYTHING from her after that, but she pretty much left it in my room even after I told her to take it.....what a mess! when a simple THANK YOU would have surficed!
Vacuum cleaner, from my brother the year I moved into the upper half of the duplex we then occupied....
My brother got me a great big picture of satan sitting on a toilet, smoking a reefer. It was Red and black velvet.  I painted my bathroom Red and Black, put it up over the toilet and could not figure out for the life of me why my little one refused to get up at nite to go to the bathroom. Looking back, I cannot believe I was so totally dumb!
Forgive me, I didn't mean anything negative towards you. If anything negative, it was meant for the "antique teacher." Maybe or probably my words were confusing, for I was unable to sleep night before  last and last night. Appology acceptrd?
when me and my husband first gor married we went to his g-parents for christmas. it was our first christmas together and i was imbarresed to death. his g-mom gave me some g-mal panties that was 2x . i was a size 8 at the time and they kept yelling for me to hold them up so everyone could see them,and take my picture.we went to his stepdads aunts for a get together and we got a pack of peanut butter crackers.she had them all wraped up and my husband opened them up and the crackers was for us to share. so not to be rude we ate two a piece lol , we still laugh about that today.

LOL @ brainpain !
No apology accepted!  I figured you meant it towards her, I just wanted to clarify in case I sounded like the one who would be ungrateful for a gift a child gave me!!!!
You win - hands down - a pack of peanut butter crackers wins by a landslide!  

THAT IS HILARIOUS!  I guess on that kind of diet (2 crackers) they didn't expect you to fill up those 2x panties!  

Rach
Hey!  Set the record straight for us Mom's getting a teacher a gift!  I have a friend that is a teacher and she LOVES everything that she gets from her "kids", but told me one time that she has enought apple pencil holders and school house stationery to supply every teacher in the state of Alabama.  

SO, if you could say without abandon or judgement - would you actually WANT that kind of gift from a student or something you could actually use or want?   I really appreciate all our teachers do for my son and would love to get them something good.

Dont' be afraid - tell us what to get our teachers for the holidays!  Please help us!!!

Rach