MedHelp Social Community
Your thoughts and opinions

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Your thoughts and opinions

Pinch Me ...a message from Michael Moore

Friends,

Who among us is not at a loss for words? Tears pour out. Tears of joy. Tears of relief. A stunning, whopping landslide of hope in a time of deep despair.

In a nation that was founded on genocide and then built on the backs of slaves, it was an unexpected moment, shocking in its simplicity: Barack Obama, a good man, a black man, said he would bring change to Washington, and the majority of the country liked that idea. The racists were present throughout the campaign and in the voting booth. But they are no longer the majority, and we will see their flame of hate fizzle out in our lifetime.

There was another important "first" last night. Never before in our history has an avowed anti-war candidate been elected president during a time of war. I hope President-elect Obama remembers that as he considers expanding the war in Afghanistan. The faith we now have will be lost if he forgets the main issue on which he beat his fellow Dems in the primaries and then a great war hero in the general election: The people of America are tired of war. Sick and tired. And their voice was loud and clear yesterday.

It's been an inexcusable 44 years since a Democrat running for president has received even just 51% of the vote. That's because most Americans haven't really liked the Democrats. They see them as rarely having the guts to get the job done or stand up for the working people they say they support. Well, here's their chance. It has been handed to them, via the voting public, in the form of a man who is not a party hack, not a set-for-life Beltway bureaucrat. Will he now become one of them, or will he force them to be more like him? We pray for the latter.

But today we celebrate this triumph of decency over personal attack, of peace over war, of intelligence over a belief that Adam and Eve rode around on dinosaurs just 6,000 years ago. What will it be like to have a smart president? Science, banished for eight years, will return. Imagine supporting our country's greatest minds as they seek to cure illness, discover new forms of energy, and work to save the planet. I know, pinch me.

We may, just possibly, also see a time of refreshing openness, enlightenment and creativity. The arts and the artists will not be seen as the enemy. Perhaps art will be explored in order to discover the greater truths. When FDR was ushered in with his landslide in 1932, what followed was Frank Capra and Preston Sturgis, Woody Guthrie and John Steinbeck, Dorothea Lange and Orson Welles. All week long I have been inundated with media asking me, "gee, Mike, what will you do now that Bush is gone?" Are they kidding? What will it be like to work and create in an environment that nurtures and supports film and the arts, science and invention, and the freedom to be whatever you want to be? Watch a thousand flowers bloom! We've entered a new era, and if I could sum up our collective first thought of this new era, it is this: Anything Is Possible.

An African American has been elected President of the United States! Anything is possible! We can wrestle our economy out of the hands of the reckless rich and return it to the people. Anything is possible! Every citizen can be guaranteed health care. Anything is possible! We can stop melting the polar ice caps. Anything is possible! Those who have committed war crimes will be brought to justice. Anything is possible.

We really don't have much time. There is big work to do. But this is the week for all of us to revel in this great moment. Be humble about it. Do not treat the Republicans in your life the way they have treated you the past eight years. Show them the grace and goodness that Barack Obama exuded throughout the campaign. Though called every name in the book, he refused to lower himself to the gutter and sling the mud back. Can we follow his example? I know, it will be hard.

I want to thank everyone who gave of their time and resources to make this victory happen. It's been a long road, and huge damage has been done to this great country, not to mention to many of you who have lost your jobs, gone bankrupt from medical bills, or suffered through a loved one being shipped off to Iraq. We will now work to repair this damage, and it won't be easy.

But what a way to start! Barack Hussein Obama, the 44th President of the United States. Wow. Seriously, wow.

Yours,
Michael Moore
Sorry...cannot comment on anything that comes out of his mouth.....
But what if I had posted the same message but not told you who the author had been?  Try reading it as if you didn't know who had written it.
I can understand why you feel that way Suzi-q - I can't stand Michael Moore personally.  I do not agree with everything he said, but I am proud that our country has voted in an African-American and believe it's a great accomplishment in this country!  And, I will support Obama.
:OX
michael moore even though just a hollywood whatever is a very very dangerous man
Jollyman:
I agree!!!
Why is it that anytime a person steps up and over a line, and goes against the grain, , they are labeled dangerous. Michael Moore isn' dangerous, he brought to the surface the evil and backstabbing going on in this last administration, he brought to the public  glimps of the Iraq war. I don't always agree with what he does, but as an American citizen he has the right.
just wondering why everyone calls Obama a African american in fact hes 1/2 black and 1/2 white, Im not racist I just dont understand his moms white, his dads black, so how does that make him black, he infact is as much white as he is black.
I do believe his father is from Africa and his mother from Hawaii...And I believe I had heard Obama use African American himself.
Man I've been asking the same question!!!  Obama is as much white as black.  I guess it just goes back to if your skin is darker than pink,,,,, but I have indian and black blood in me.  My family on both sides settled here before the Revolutionary War.  However I am blonde haired (for now untill I loose my hair) and light blue eyed.  But I know at least one of my great grandmothers was definately of african origins.  

I like to think that Obama is very much an example of what America is made up of.  A "mutt".  I'm so very proud to be a "mutt" and hope that the issue of race will die with our generation.  We are all Americans regardless of our eye color or skin color.  An I personally am very very proud that our generation has been able to overcome the discrimination of our parents generation.  The next generation will have hopefully evolved to not ever judge and condem a person because of the color of their skin.
I think we are real close to being a non racial society, and you hit the nail on the head most of us americans are mutts, and proud of it !! Im  german, swedish american Indian and god only knows what else,
I live in a very diverse neighborhood, and I love it is a wonderful way to bring up kids, my kids dont see color they just see a friend.
mirabella,
Yes, Obama is half white and half black, but the color of his skin is brown.  If he would have said I'm a white man, people would have attacked. So, it's kind of obvious why he refers to himself as African American. All prejudices that are heaped on black people have also been heaped on Obama. It had to be a difficult for him having been raised by white grandparents and mother.   All this only makes me respect him more. He's seen racism at its worst and also known the love of his white family.  It makes him the MUTT I am so very proud to call our PRESIDENT.
Obama's father is from Africa.  So he is correct when he calls him self an African-American.  In fact he is closer to be an "African American" than someone who can trace their roots back too slavery.

His mother was born in Kansas, and his grandparents moved to Hawaii, and Obama lived with them from Grade school until he left for college in California.