MedHelp Social Community
after 18 years and a happy ending

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

after 18 years and a happy ending

Hope everyone saw the news report where the young lady in CA. was found 18 years after being kidnapped.  pray that she can gat back to some sort of a normal life. This poor young lady was kidnapped abused and had 2 children to her kidnapper.
I am not sure and have no way of understanding the trauma this young lady has had put on her life by this sadistic man and his wife. I pray to our God that she and her kids can get the right kind of help that they need. I cannot imagine the nightmares that she had for the last 18 yrs. I also cannot imagine the horror that her parents have gone through. I am sutre they are unbelievely happy knowing that thier aughter is alive and back home.
I am a Christian, and I am torn at what the punshiment should be for the the husband and wife that did this horribal deed. Big part of me feels that old testament judgement should be brought against them... amybe a good stoning..not by drugs but by rocks. Then I wonder what would Jesus do? Not sure what the right answere is, glad I don't have to make that decision.
I am so glad that this young woman made it home alive and is back with her family...God Bless...brian
Tags: happy endings, child, God, Life, family
I saw that as well, it is so shocking and sad! It is hard to believe this goes on right here in America still!  I feel so sorry for her! And her Mom and those poor kids.
I saw that.I think it's wonderful that she was found, just wish it had been sooner! But this can give hope to so many people with missing children!

The one thing I wondered is how this man kept her hidden, and then her two children hidden for 18 years in a back yard and no one ever suspected anything or noticed anything out of the ordinary? How about when the children were little and never went to school? This is why we all have to pay more attention to our surroundings and report anything that seems suspicious. I hope this is a wake up call to everyone to pay more attention to your neighbors!

So glad she was finally found, though. Praise God! This reminds me of the happy ending to Elizabeth Smart. :) Missing children can be found if we all pay pay close attention. Start looking at the posters in the stores of missing children and let's just pay attention to those around us. Watch shows like America's Most Wanted too. People have been found and turned in because of that show! We all need to keep our eyes and ears open.
I hope this guy gets life in the slammer, as I do for all child sex offenders.
Glad this one had a happy ending! :)
You know what really gets me about this? Neighbors complained to the police THREE YEARS AGO that children and people were living in the back yard and what did the police do??? They questioned this man AT HIS DOORSTEP for a half an hour. They NEVER ENTERED THE HOUSE OR LOOKED IN THE BACKYARD!!! WHAT THE HECK???? What is WRONG with our POLICE FORCE?!! I cannot even believe that!!! This poor girl and her children could have been saved YEARS earlier if the police had done a more thorough job of investigating a known registered sex offender. Unbelievable.
April is right. The police messed up big time. It is unbelievable!

We'll see how she copes now. She said she bonded with him. Perhaps that is why she is still alive. But it'd be interesting to know what went through her mind while living in captivity. I don't know what I would have done, to be honest.

See what brain washing and mind control can do. Poor girl. I hope she can recover from this and find a way to live a normal life, both her and the kids.
Can you just imagine! The children have never been to school at all and the oldest is 15? Which means she had her when she was what 13?  I hear there were calls made to the police and nothing was ever done!  What about the people that check up on these guys, I mean he was a sex offender, dont they check on em from time to time? Jessh
The news media has been full of this story and we learn more almost every hour.

According to the neighbors they knew that there were children living in that backyard. Only one called the police to report anything unusual, only one. (God Bless them) Yet according to recent interviews they all knew that children were living in the tents and that this monster was a child molester. Maybe more calls would have moved law enforcement into more action. Are we not our brother's keeper?  What were the neighbors thinking?  It's the "I don't want to get involved" attitude that allows so many criminals to continue their role in disrupting our society. When will we as a whole begin to step forward and look after our fellow man or in this case, our children? When did we go from "live and let live" to this "don't get involved" mentality?

And yes this is a sad commentary about our law enforcement also and even more so our parole system. One call should have been enough but reportedly and unfortunately the officer wasn't armed with any information. He knew less about this monster than the neighbors did.

The parole system should have had continual contact with this pervert over the years, including searching or at least looking at his living quarters which should have including the back yard. It took the mother's instinct of a newer assigned female parole officer to kick in before this monster was finally caught. There's plenty of blame to go around here. Have you or I looked at our neighbor's suspicious activity or responded to a child's or woman's screams....or a man's?  I hope so but I'm afraid not.

I pray this scenario is not being repeated in yet another tent or home somewhere in the USA and we are turning a blind eye to it.
I heard on the news this morning that very definatly this is happening to other abducted children they are not all killed in the 72 hour estimate of time, some are kept hidden, .I think what happens is that after the initial trauma of Kidnap/molestation/abuse the child comes to rely on her captor ,Elizabeth Smart went through the same thing, its the 'Stockholm Syndrome' they also feel guilty as many abuse victims do, think its their fault , imagine being sexually abused and injured, how would you go about getting home and telling it all, I think in their poor little heads they cannot face it, its easier to go along with what you have. Also she had children and that makes a differance to how she felt. I think the Authorities ahve a lot to answer to here, but yes I would check the back yards of any strange folks....