Medical Ethics Community
Ethical dilemas and moral conflicts
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE MEDICAL ETHICS COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Medical Ethics issues such as Abortion; Genetic Engineering; End of Life Issues; Off-Label Prescribing;

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ethical dilemas and moral conflicts

How do healthcare workers deal with these situations? Does moral values ever change as healthcare workers become more experienced and if so, how does their actions to resolve ethical dilemmas change? I am fresh out of nursing school and just recently experienced my first ethical dilemma. I was instructed to give a patient crushed pills with their drink after they refused to take it. I did not and my supervisor seemed a little disappointed.
875426_tn?1325532016
You did the right thing -as long-as that patient has their wits about them, they themselves have the right to refuse medication and expect those in a position of trust, such as yourself, to respect that patient right.   Documenting the refusal of the medication by the patient, of course, is very important for your protection of your license.

Moral values come from God placing them on your heart.  He gave you a conscience and you realized that to give the pills crushed after the patient refused was wrong.  It's not good to sear your conscience by deciding to go along with what you know to be wrong.

Since you are a newby, may I suggest you look for another position as a supervisor without the right scruples could prove a sore trial?  Then, when you go to resign, you could mention why you are leaving.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Medical Ethics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...