Medical Ethics Community
Ethics Regarding Automatic Dialysis Coverage?

WELCOME TO THE MEDICAL ETHICS COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Medical Ethics issues such as Abortion; Genetic Engineering; End of Life Issues; Off-Label Prescribing;

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/health/01dialysis.html?ref=todayspaper
This article raises some specific concerns as regards dialysis coverage. Should this coverage continue to be unlimited? Or should the concerns that are being noted be addressed in some other manner? If people have direct experience with this or know people who do what has their direct experience been?
I know this is an old post but I just stumbled across it. Dialysis is an interesting discussion point as it illustrates some issues of limited resources. First thing to understand is that patients with renal failure will die without the treatment. in the early days of hemodialysis there were committees to decide who would be allowed to get these life saving treatments because there weren't enough dialysis machines to treat everyone. If the committee did not feel that you had a significant contribution to make to society, you died from the lethal disease that you had. Peritoneal dialysis was then developed which was low tech and could be done in the home. Meanwhile, laws were passed that, as you have pointed out, pretty much guarantee hemodialysis to anyone with renal failure. It is now very common that I see octo- and nonogenerians undergoing dialysis access procedures so they can be placed on long term hemodialysis. I can't imagine having a loved one being deemed "unworthy" of life saving treatments but we have clearly gone overboard in the other direction. The difficult thing is trying to establish some reasonable guidelines when human lives are involved. The hard reality is that people with lethal diseases are going to die. Temporizing therapies have some impact on the timing but not the final outcome.