Medical Ethics Community
Forceful Catheterization

WELCOME TO THE MEDICAL ETHICS COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Medical Ethics issues such as Abortion; Genetic Engineering; End of Life Issues; Off-Label Prescribing;

Forceful Catheterization

Hi my name is Jared and a best friend of mine, who I promised to leave anonymous, has been angry, rude, irritable, and depressed for the past five years. He has been my good friend for almost my entire life and he is like a brother to me. Throughout his childhood he has been kind and more or less happy, however, he changed almost over night. We thought it was just hormones or a weird phase he was going through but it didn't go away for years. It wasn't until a fight between him and his father, that he revealed what was bothering him and why he was so angry. My friend has always been the type of person that hides his emotions and never talked about his problems.

My friend's story: A few years ago a friend of mine, who was then 17 and now 22, was at his brothers 21st birthday party. He had to much to drink, went to sleep, and his sensitive brother called 911 because he was having a difficult time waking him up. Once the ambulance came my friend was fully awake and alert however they had to take him to the hospital because he was underage. While my friend was at the hospital the doctor told him that it was state law to preform a drug test. My friend, despite trying as hard as he could, couldn't urinate and with in an hour the nurses forcefully catheterized him without explaining what they were doing or even asking for his permission. When the results of the drug test came back all they found in his urine was alcohol. My question is, A. Was there any medication the doctor could have given my friend to help him urinate? b. Was it ethical to catheterize him, being that he was fully conscious and wasn't refusing to urinate? C. Was he allowed, legally, to refuse the catheter considering that the AMA states that patients are allowed to refuse treatment? D. If my friend was considered an adult would he have been able to refuse the catheter? E. What is a considerable amount of time a patient is allowed before having the catheter forcefully inserted? F. Is the doctor supposed to explain the catheter procedure to the patient before it is preformed, and warn them of the amount of pain that is to be expected?

After the incident my friend gained 30 pounds and stopped going out with his friends. He failed out of school of the university he attended for the following two years. He had flash backs and nightmares of the incident and is now seeing a psychiatrist.