Medical Ethics Community
Marajuana...To legalize or Not?

WELCOME TO THE MEDICAL ETHICS COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Medical Ethics issues such as Abortion; Genetic Engineering; End of Life Issues; Off-Label Prescribing;

Marajuana...To legalize or Not?

My state is voting whether or not to legalize pot for medicinal use soon....

Do you feel it should be legalized? Why?Why not?

Is it already legal in your state?
not legal here....

i would say yes legalize it, they will make a TON of money and they would just issue tickets instead of taking people to jail over a small bag of pot, the jails here are seriously over crowded and the real criminals are still roaming the streets cause the jails are filled with pot smokers and dealers...seriously....

but im a pot smoker so of course  i want it legal......it would just make things easier i think.....could really mess thigns up too tho i guess
I would say yes. My family has known people with cancer that had reached the stages where it was untreatable and required large doses of chemotherapy which of course induces  nausea and they found a way to obtain marijuana and it actually did help them from what they said. There should of course be regulatory means established so that it is used for specific approved purposes and even if it were legalized in general the same would be true in the same manner alcohol and tobacco use is regulated. But it has shown to helpful for specific medical reasons when supervised by a doctor and if they were allowed to do so that would be beneficial. Outside of that one mentioned I believe drug abuse should be medicalized not criminalized but they have taken efforts towards that direction in my state and offered more opportunities towards rehabilitation and treatment and as substance abuse is often a form of self medication I believe that is the correct thing to do.
I was going to write something in response to your question but all you have to do now is read ILADVOCATE's writing on the matter and it's pretty much the same thing I would of said.  I especially agree with sending people to treatment for substance abuse instead of to jail and eventually prison.
It is already legal in New Jersey, but highly restricted. For instance you cannot get it for asthma, even if it is severe, so I am out of luck. (Well not really, because you can obtain it illegally. And it works.) Vote yes.
It is legal here I believe...

I think it should be legal all around! Not only have they determined it has medical use but you don't see people that smoke pot out commiting vecious crimes, such as rape, murder, and you also don't see a lot of pot smokers stealing either. If they packed up marijuana the way they do cigarrettes the tax alone could take us out of national debt! Also, they could regulate it more like they do with alcohol. The effects are the same between alcohol and marijuana so if you are going to legalize one why not the other?

Plus I have to agree with it empting out the jails!