Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
Feel like UTI, but no bacteria in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

Feel like UTI, but no bacteria in urine

For the last week or so, I feel like I'm starting to get a UTI. I don't have a constant urge, but after I urinate, I feel pain in my urethra (that's the best to describe it) for about a half hour.  I saw the Neph today and they checked my urine, She said I had protein but no bacteria or blood. She is sending it for a culture to see if anything grows. Could the test if the office be negative but I still have one?  Thanks!
YES!!!  Actually it is very common for those of us with MSK to have infections
that do not show up on standard UA or even cultures.  The reason is that
we have a biofilm infection within the stones, low level bacteria can slough off causing
us pain and infection symptoms but not be in great enough number to be cultured
or tested for,,,
   however they still make us feel sick.

Also only Urea splitting organisms show up on a standard UA, many bacteria that cause infections do not give off the nitrates.  There should be a research article on this in the health pages. If not go to our local website www.moarkic.com and click on the menu item MSK then MSK info.  There is an article which explains this in more detail!

Shelly
I bring first morning urine with me to the doc appt ...best chance of it showing up is in the first AM urine we've found.  But, like you, I can have symptoms and be negative all around and withing 48hrs of starting antibiotics feel better!  The other thing is that you may have passed a stone or getting ready to pass one and the inflammation is causing the symptoms.  It's s double edged sword we don't seem to ever really win.

C~
do any of you guys use Tramadol...Just got on it by accident and it helps with all pain
Tramadol for me did not really help, however I have since been told by an ER nurse
that the injectable one is really good for kidney pain.  I maybe wrong but I believe
tramadol is the one that is for acute pain because it quits working in a few days.