Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
Heating pads for pain relief* FIRE DANGER

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

For about 2 years I use a heating pad almost constantly when my kidneys hurt (which was almost constantly until last month).In November I had an older one start sparking and flaming at the control one morning when I was still half asleep. My 10 year old daughter noticed it and screamed. I thought it was because it was 5 years old.
2 days ago I was using a newer one ,9months old. I woke up and it was not hot, but the controler was very hot and the pastic was starting to bulge out. It smelled like burning plastic.

there are warnings about not sleeping with it, but it was the only way I could get any sleep. I am going to have to find another way to apply heat. I am to afraid of electricity in bed with me now.
Wow, yes, I would be scared too!
If you just had two different ones of various ages do this, in the same electical outlet,
would also suggest, having some check your outlet for problems or at least makes sure the wiring in that outlet is OK?

My personal heating pad is made by subeam and has a shut off.  I do sleep with mine also, using it to warm the bed and drap over my side while I sleep!  I have found it annoying that it will shut itself off in 2 hours etc. now I REALLY appreciate it!!

How have you been doing?
Shelly
I bought some of those water bottles made out of rubber and they had fancy covers for them and the girls use them for "that time of the month" .... would a bottle like that help or not really cause they don't stay hot enough long enough I bet.

WOW .. scary.  

C~
I actually have it plugged into a surge protector! the last one way grey, sunbeam with a "2 hour shut off" and "always on". I am thinking of getting a microwave one or making one of rice that I can microwave.
They are easy to make too, I made a whole bunch for Christmas one year.

You can use rice or even bulk whole wheat.

I personally like the wheat better since it is more dense so hold the heat longer.  If you  need to get out esp. feee                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Way  too late with that post, I think I feel a sleep.

Anyway... the microwave heating pads are easy to make.  I also use insta heat pads on the go too!

Shelly
Heating pads are awesome.  I had one go bad not too long ago also.  Cold pad and hot controller.  Pretty scary. The hot water bottles can be hot enough, but they are really difficult to lie on, because they are full of water.  I would have to say that Shelly probably has the best idea if you are worried about the electrical aspects.  Try using the insta heat pads.

Becky
Try a Thermacare pad.  There is a version for backs which has a velcro closure.  You can buy them at any drugstore or Costco.  The package says they last for 8 hours, but mine last more like 12 hours.  They are activated by air.  They are in a sealed package and when you open it up it immidiately starts warming.
Really good idea .. thanks for bringing up this older thread

C~