MSK and pregnancy
Hey Everyone,

I was diagnosed with MSK about three years ago.  We recently found out that I was pregnant.  Now it seems that my Urologist is scared to treat me and my OB is not concerned if it is not effecting the baby.  I have had extreme pain on my right side for about a day now and I am sure its a stone because there is also blood in my urine.  What can I do to get rid of the pain?  If it is causing me stress, isnt it also causing the baby stress?  I am sure my blood pressure is sky hi!
Hi there,

I would press your urologist or find a new one. Doctors have a tendency to shove pregnant women off on OBs just because they're pregnant. I don't think an OB would have as much knowledge about MSK as a urologist or a nephrologist. Try to relax as much as you can and tell your OB and urologist that you are in pain and need help as well as that you're stressed and it's affecting your pregnancy. That might make them jump and do something. I'm pregnant too with a bladder infection though I'm only 4 weeks. I'm calling my OB and Cardiologist (weirdly the cardiologist stepped up more than my urologist) tomorrow to tell them the news and how to go about the bladder infection. I work with my doctors, I've learned not to just ask questions but to be really proactive about my health care.

I've never had a kidney stone yet that I've known of though I have had severe pain from time to time. From what I've heard, I don't think a kidney stone can cause problems in a pregnancy. I've heard that the calcium in the prenatals doesn't help. Please try not to stress just make it clear to your doctors that something has to be done, no ifs ands or buts.

Let me know how it goes!
If the stones are small enough to poass then u need a little help with that.....ie:pain. Ask your OBGYN about Fioricet which has caffene,acetomenophen (tylenol) and condene which if I am remembering correctly are all safe during pregnancy! Good look & Let me know what they say & what happens!Good Luck! DooDleBUG!
Hi there,
I had kidney stones with 2 of my 3 pregnancies...the last one pain was so bad I was really scared and went to ER...well they gave me meds safe for pregnancy and I was o.k...I didn't know I had MSK then.  Just try to relax as best you can and take what pain meds are safe (your doc should tell you) and drink alot of water.  I would try to find a  urologist to help you with stones if possible....just try to rest if you can. Also I found that a heating pad was helpful for pain you could try that as well.
Goodluck and keep us posted!
Kim
hi,
i have medullary sponge kidneys. i was diagnosed after the birth of my son. now that i am pregnant again they are keeping a good eye on me. there is medication that you can take that is completly safe for you and the baby. so if your in alot of pain ask your doctor for it. i actually see my family dr, my ob and a specialist for my kidneys.

after you have your baby they will probably put you on a diet to help prevent having anymore stones. there is no reason to worry. its very common, you just dont hear about it till it happens to you.  in the mean time you should be drinking LOTS of water to flush out your kidneys.

good luck. and try to to worry so much. i know exactly how you feel.

Nicole
I also was not diagnosed till after the birth of my children but stones and infections were an issue in every pregnancy.  FOR ME taking any prenatals formed large stones.  One suggestion an Uro/gyn might be more comforatble treating you during your pregnancy?  Just a thought.
There some save things to do for the chronic pain issues, esp, now have your Vit D levels and your Potassium checked, we often run low on these and that care really make you tired and increase pain.  Off coarse lots of water etc.  But if you have a lot of UTI'S they often want to put you on a low dose antibiotic.  This can help both issues.  Honestly one thing I would recommend to any MSK mom, would be to take things to prevent infections etc. like Silverbiotics, cranberry if you can tolerate it D-mannose if you can't, garlic can help as well...and avoid as much soda and caffeine as you can etc. too.

Good luck and please keep us posted on the birth of your new little one!!

Shelly