Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
MSK or medullary nephrocalcinosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MSK or medullary nephrocalcinosis

I had a kidney ultrasound this morning and the result says "possibilities include medullary nephrocalcinosis or medullary sponge kidneys considered" I have no idea what these are. Can anyone explain these to me? Are these curable? What are the treatment options?
Thanks.
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
Hi, on the MSK it's a managed condition with ups and downs including the production of many kidney stones for many of us.  Here's a link to our health pages with oodles of info to help you.  Not sure on the 2nd possibility, nephrocalcinosis  .. please stop by and let us know what your Dr said and WELCOME!

C~
Blank
Hi! I am a nurse and I am 25 years old and I have Medullary nephrocalcinosis, it was found when i began to urinate blood and they did an x-ray which showed many kidney stones and then a CT which showed the nephrocalcinosis. Labwork - 24 hour urine shows hypercalcuria as well as high sodium levels. I had lithotripsy for the large stone but was warned they were many small ones that will be problematic later. When the symptoms came back i had an IVP done. That is when they put an IV of contrast dye that will light up the kidneys ureters and bladder then take x-rays of it. Thats when i was diagnosed with medullary sponge kidney. I will be on a pill called HCTZ or hydroclorathizide probably forever. The pill has like no side effects other than maybe more frequent urination. The doctor said that, increasing my citric acid intake and period lithotripsy is how its managed. It will never be cured. Different things however can cause meduallry nephrocalcinosis and Things like your thyroid, and parathyroid needs to be tested. I had a complete metabolic work up, 24 hour urine and all my thyroid levels checked.
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
Super info Kelz613 and WELCOME to our community!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...