Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
MSK with calcification

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

MSK with calcification

Does anyone else have MSK with calcification..What does this mean?  Is it more of a worrisum then with out Calcification?  Can anything be done to help the form of the calcification.  

Thanks for the Help
Makao
    I was diagnosed with MSK last month. I have calcium build up on my kidneys too. The doctor said it wasn't because I was getting to much or too little of it. It was just something my body did on it's own and I had no control over it. I still don't know a whole lot about my condition. I've aready had 5 stones in the last 3 months. They were small but still I noticed them when they came out. The doctor told me I could change my diet a bit to help the constant stones be less frequent but I would still have them and the calcium would still form. I hope this was a little helpful, more to tell if you have any questions. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm still looking for more friends with MSK I can talk to.
Calcifications are very common with MSK as are UTI's. The reason is that MSK is a defect in the kidney that we are born with. Basically we tiny cysts in the collecting ducts that never allow the urine to drain properly. This means it stagnates in the kidney forming stones.

It does help to have a 24 hour urine etc. to find any metabolic issues as well to prevent further complications and stones.  

We have another MSK group that has healthpages with link to  m,ore info on MSK too!  I would encourage you to join the other group as well and to go through the health pages.  The healthpages on this site are great and have many good articles as well!
Welcome and I hope this helps some.
Shelly

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/256?personal_page_id=30644