Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
Medullary nephrocalcinosis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Medullary nephrocalcinosis

Hi there
I was found to have severe medullary nephrocalcinosis in march of 2008 from a CT scan, after many years of UTI's, back and groin paid.  

My doctor is stating that this is idiopathic, but in my own research online I have yet to find any idiopathic diagnosis of medullary nephrocalcinosis.  I am just finding that this is used as a descriptive term in radiology.  

Can someone give me some advise?  I have had a second opinion and just wondering if I should see a third.

If anyone out there has the same condition or has heard about it or maybe there are other tests that can be done?  Anything at this point would be great

Thanks
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
489228_tn?1291535054
Idiopathic means of unknown origin.  That is true, no one knows what causes MSK
so that could be all he is saying.  Nephrocalinosis, means calcifications with in the kidney.  I believe the term is used when there is a significant amount of calcifications and
mainly describes the calcifications in the Nephron or inner part of the kidney.  My understanding is that these types of calcifications are classic pattern of MSK.  I found it often called Randall's Plaque!

Patti I would encourage to read through the posts and health pages, most of us have the neprocalcinosis.too.  Then post any questions that might have too!
Shelly
Blank
1137575_tn?1265598226
Just to back up Shelly's statement about nephrocalcinosis meaning calcification within the kidney....That's how my MSK diagnosis was found.  I had a CT scan because I went in for blood in my urine and back pain on my left side.  I had nephrocalcinosis in both kidneys.  Just follow what Shelly has stated and read around the message board.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...