Aa
A
A
Close
1886992 tn?1320912487
Mulit/daily vitamins that are safe for those of us with MSK???
Hi there,
I just found out days ago that I have MSK and have since stopped taking any of the vitamins and stuff I was because I'm 27 and am already having some scary symptoms, which is what led to the diagnosis. I had coffee colored urine from blood being in it and have constant pain, was treated for a UTI to be safe, kidney stones being in there somewhere are still a possibility. After much reading about this condition I found that anyone with the disease should only be consuming Calcium through their diet and NOT take it directly in the form of vitamins, etc. there are a number of other things I was told to avoid as they may encourage stones to form, see http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/ eating right some days can be difficult and I don't want to develop problems like Anemia or something because I may not be eating right, trying to adjust and figure out a good routine to care for my new found abnormal kidney. Does anyone who's been living with this condition have any pointers on what I could safely take and where to find them? I appreciate any feed back. Also, would love to know of more MSK groups and such, learning everything I can about this would be ideal for me.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1269456 tn?1318389501
You're right-my urologist advised me to NEVER take calcium supplements but eat a lot of high calcium foods like yogurt and drink milk. I'm not on any vitamins for MSK so I can't help you there.

I am the admin of a group on facebook called Medullary Sponge Kidney (MSK)!
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
I was recently diagnosed as well and am trying to follow a low sodium, low protein, low calcium,  and low oxalate diet.  I too worry about causing anemia, and osteoporosis.  I quit vitamins about ten years ago after having kidney stones during my first pregnancy.  I continue to take folic acid though.  I have a wonderful urologist who has been very knowledgeable about MSK.  I have also been using the Divita kidney website for recipes.  
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community Resources