Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
Newly Diagnosed and Normal Lab Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

Newly Diagnosed and Normal Lab Results

Hi there....new here and newly diagnosed.  I have had a history of numerous stones for the past 12 yrs.  This most recent one I was sent to a urologist.  He did a blood test and also a 24 hour urine.  The results of both of these tests are "normal".  So none of my levels are showing high to steer me in what dietary changes I should be making.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I am so confused.  I was diagnosed via CT scan with contrast and another without.  So I am left with a diagnosis but no further along to help me with pain or prevention.  I am so glad I found this site as its a wealth of knowledge!  Any advice or similar situations would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
Have you had your water tested to see if it is high in calcium content?  Can you ask the doctor about breaking up the stones and trying to collect a piece that passes to get it analyzed by a lab as to its composition?
I have had one stone that had to be removed ed tested and also my blood and urine.  My stone was removed about 10 years ago and the doctor told me the stone wasn't high in one certain thing bit a mixture of the two main types.  At the time I was told my stone was a mix between two types so they couldn't really advise to lower one thing or another.  Of course this was 10 years ago and my first stone so I didn't really think it of much importance at the time.  Now I wish I'd paid more attention. However my urine and blood test last month he said were normal, nothing was reaaly high.  So he just said I need to see a specialist and mailed me some pamphi. He did however diagnose the msk based on my CT scan with ivp, cray and ultrasound I had done.  I am just confused...I haven't read of anyone else having normal tests. And I have been Googling a lot!  
I wonder if the place you had your first stone removed would still have a medical record available for you to request regarding the composition of that stone?  There is drinking water around where I live very high in calcium, I've heard, which is why I wondered if you had yours tested?  Seeing a nephrologist experienced in kidney stones sounds like a great next step in regards to this problem!