Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
Pain go away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

Pain go away?

Hey im a 21 year old female and after 7 years of extreme nausea i had some test done and finallt found out i had 17 kidney stones 10 in my right kidney and seven in my left. I recently underwent a  flexi litroposy and had a stent inserted (which was the worst pain i have ever felt) for months leading up to the operation i had dull to severe pain in my back and across both kidneys. I was diagnosed after my operation with MSK. For awhile the pain was not as strong and not as often. I was told by the urologist that there would be no reason for pain in the area unless the stones were passing and i feel less mental now knowing that alot of you experience pain wether or not the stones are passing. It has been about 4 months since my operation and the pain is coming back again. i just want to know if anyone has experienced the pain lessoning. Its effected my work as i have to take public transport and walk alot of places which is difficult to do when your never sure how strong the pain is going to kick in.

Also just any tips would be great i have had such a terrible time with the urologist and have been left in the dark alot. I would also like to know if anyone has been experiencing strong almost migraine like headaches?

thanks =)
Hi there, where are you in the world? Here in the uk I've struggled like you. This year has been the worst of my life. You have to take each day at a time and gradually cone to accept this disease. Can you apply for a disability badge to help you get around? Keep strong and remember everyone on here understands and listens really well. X x x
First of all Welcome and you are not alone in your pain or sadly in your frustration.  The hardest part of what we do here is the I KNOW that MSK and chronic pain go hand in hand in many and have the research to back it, along with standard treatment protocols but getting some of the doctors to read the research articles is an up hill battle.  Over all many docs who truly care about their patients and not just there egos have allowed some of us to find a better quality of life and help with the pain.  I will not be at peace until this is true for all of you!!

Please read through the other posts here and check out the health pages;

This article is specifically on some info on treating pain
http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Urology/What-To-do-For-the-Pain/show/577?cid=185

If you live in the US I would be glad to call you and explain everything etc. and I can send you medical articles that might help with your doctor.  I can assure you your not alone sadly, it is not in your head and you kidney does hurt!  Feel free to pm for more info and to contact me directly!

I hope your life is helped by your visit to this message board!

Shelly

thank you both for your help and understanding. I live in Australia and so far have not met any urologists that know much about this diesese other then diagnosing it. Thank you shelley for the article you posted i will take that on board and see how that helps. The only person that has been going out of his way to help is my GP so if you could send some articles that would be great he is interested in finding out more about MSK as am I. i hope soon that someone will find some way to help us all through this at times i have a good qaulity of life other times i am bed ridden in pain and exhausted, I believe the exhaustion must come from the constant pain. It is just nice to have people who understand and who know that pain is associated with MSK wether or not a stone is passing. Thank you for being so kind =)
Sallen have them check your Vit D levels.  The exhaustion can come from that for many of us.  My levels were soo low and keeping the up I can feel a huge difference in my energy levels!  Keep in touch.. if you need any more articles and info just send me your e-mail address in a pm.

Hang in there and feel better soon!

Shelly