Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
food to avoid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

food to avoid

please could somebody help with why i have been told to avoid drinking tea, coffee, eating chocolate and nuts!!! i really dont see how this all has a link with msk?!!!
I have heard the same and have trouble drinking fruit drinks, too!  Could it be the oxalates?  Do you form calcium oxalate stones?  I've read about it in the past along with the do's and don't of other foods ...

Let me see what I can gather for you ..

C~

WELCOME to the COMMUNITY
Usually doctors are concerned with limiting your oxalate intake in MSK patients since this can increase your risk of stones. Also large amounts of protein are very hard on the kidneys, actually so is coffee etc.  So that could by why they are asking you to watch those things.  I would encourage you to ask your doctor specifically what the goal of the diet is!

Shelly
It took me a long time to realize that diet is HUGE in pain control and overall wellness.  It kills me to give up coffee....even a cup bothers me.  And beer and all the other stuff hurts me too.  Chocolate too.  Sorry, it's high in Oxalates...some botheres more than others....At first you should get rid of all the "bad stuff" then try things out one at a time so you know how sensitive you are.  I read a book "No more kidney stones" and they tell you "you can fool your self but you can't fool your kidneys"
White choclate is ok (i tried it yesterday out of pure desperation) WE WILL SEE!  hollie
Hollie,

Thanks for that great advice.  Chocolate is bad for gastro refllux, too .. so it can play havoc on our body in so many ways!

Thanks for the book's name .. I am going to get it.

Cheryl
Actually with my IC chocolate is a big NO as well and many of the foods also increase pain and muscle spasms so really increase problems in many conditions!  I have had to give up chocolate now for about 4 years.  Now I prefer white chocolate to dark anyway.  I make white chocolate chip cookies, and even get white chocolate hot chocolate from Bass Pro at Christmas time.

There is a book also called the Kidney stone Book I bought about 10 years ago.. I am wondering if it is the same one only revised.  Who is the author of this book Hollie?  Diet is helpful for us, however drinking enough water to keep the stones flushed out is the most important thing for an MSKer!!!

Hollie how are you feeling now>?

Shelly
Years ago I was sent to a dietitian due to MSK and the kidney stones.  I was told to limit salt to 2000mg and avoid purines and oxalates.  The foods you listed were on the oxalate list. Gravies and liver are all I can remember that were on the purine list, but there were a lot more.
I can't drink ANY alcohol anymore without severe kidney pain.  I used to have a couple of wine coolers once or twice a year, but I can't even tolerate one anymore.