Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
medullary sponge kidneys

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

medullary sponge kidneys

WHY DOE'S IT HURT SO BAD AND I HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING AND MY KIDNEY'S ALWAYS HURT WELL WHEN I WENT TO THE ER THEY TOLD ME THAT SENCE THEY TOOK AN EXRAY 7 MONTHS AGO THE WERE NOT GOING TO DO ANOTHER ONE SO WHAT SHOULD I DO FOR THIS SEVERE PAIN ? thank u heidi ***@****
Tags: important question, important questin
WELCOME to the Community!  Did you have any stones then?  Unfortunately, the ER can be ruthless when it comes to MSK and the pain we oftentimes endure.

Cheryl
Unfortunately doctors believe wrongly that if you don't have a stone in the ureter you can have pain...."Your kidneys don't hurt!"!

Which is completely wrong!  Many of us have this unexplainable pain....my doctor and I believe it is connected to a biofilm infection that actually set up with in the calcifications!  Because the bacteria are basically encased with the stones in the biofilm material they are unpenetrateable by antibiotics and almost impossible to culture out!
I have a research article I put together on it and I will try to post it too... I know I have a word limit on this post!

*http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1413.htm* This is a good article:in it it states that MSK can have the chronic unexplainable pain etc.  

I just recently found this articlebelow!  I am to have the surgery done on Aug. 4th for chronic kidney pain with no stones in the ureter!  Afterward I will post more info. on the procedure and how it works to solve this!

Shelly

Urology. 2006 Apr;67(4):683-7. Epub 2006 Mar 29. Links
Ureteroscopic laser papillotomy to treat papillary calcifications associated with chronic flank pain.
Taub DA, Suh RS, Faerber GJ, Wolf JS Jr.
Department of Urology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-0330, USA.

OBJECTIVES: To evaluate retrospectively the efficacy and durability of a novel approach using ureteroscopic laser papillotomy for the treatment of painful papillary calcifications. Chronic pain due to renal papillary calcifications has not been addressed by current techniques. METHODS: Ureteroscopic holmium laser lithotripsy and papillotomy were performed on patients with chronic pain and radiographically visible papillary calcifications without free collecting system calculi. The papillary urothelium overlying all cystic dilations and intraductal calcifications was vaporized. Treated patients answered a telephone survey to assess pain scores, duration of response, use of narcotics, and patient satisfaction. We reviewed the medical records to evaluate for procedure-related complications and serum creatinine measurements. RESULTS: Of 20 patients who underwent laser papillotomy and responded to the telephone survey, 7 had bilateral procedures, yielding 27 renal units available for analysis. "Much less pain" was reported after 85% of the procedures, with a durable improvement reported after 59% of the procedures, at a median follow-up of 14.5 months. Significant improvements in the median pain scores were seen at 1 month (1.0, P <0.001), 6 months (2.0, P <0.001), and 1 year (1.5, P <0.001) compared with a median preoperative pain score of 9.0. The mean serum creatinine was unchanged after the procedure. CONCLUSIONS: Ureteroscopic laser papillotomy appears to be an effective treatment option for the chronic pain associated with papillary calcifications. Laser papillotomy offers hope to patients who would otherwise have been denied an attempt at treatment because of a lack of free calculi within the collecting system.

PMID: 16566982 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]