Memory Loss Community
Dementia ??

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Dementia ??

At age 53,my now 69 yr old husband had surgery for a benign brain tumor located between the the two frontal lobes of the brain requireing Laser Surgery. At that time he was told because of the heat generated in getting all of the tumor, he might at some later date, have some memory loss.  He has continued to work but in the last two years has noticed problems with memory. The work he  does  /did is detailed and requires concentration and memory. More recently, when in a stressful situation (not job related ) he became confused,unable to get facts straight/sorted out.  He also has a hard time making decisions.  He was abt. this same time  diagnosed with Chronic HBP and is on Lisinopril which is controlling it and seems to be helping. Fearing a return of the Tumor we consulted his Surgeon, had an EEG done, saw a top  Neurologist in our area, were prescribed Ativan &  Resperdal by two different doctors, neither of which he could tolerate. In fact he felt the Resperdal made things worse. From what the Drs. told us , at this time there is no sign of Tumor or Seizures or- they say- Dementia/Alzheimers.  
   Could this spell of confusion have been a TIA ?  About  20 years ago, he had a spell of temporary l loss of sight in one eye, and tests showed his BP extremely high at that time. He was given a shot and sent home. The next day the Dr. told me " I thought he was going to have a Stroke right in the office ". He tried meds to control it at that time but could not tolerate the meds.
   In all of these Dr. appts, he was never given a complete Physical Exam, nor were any tests done to check for blockage in arteries etc. Lab work ruled out Hypoglycemia ..
   He was told that HBP of long standing could affect memory.

I guess my question is--just because Dementia was not found now, does that mean it will not show up in the near future.  From reading I've done it seems that heat generated by Lasix may " seal off " the brain cells causing problems ???
   Since we did not recieve any answers defineing the problem, I would appreciate your comments.
                                                                              thanks,  Junie 37
Hello.

I appreciate the way you have described the symptoms. You have given a clear picture of what your husband is going through. I will try my best to match your query.

First of all, there is nothing in the examination or investigations that rule out dementia in him. I would rather go for at least a Neuropsychological assessment and an MRI of the Brain.

Since your husband is a chronic hypertensive, he may have developed small areas of infarction in the sub-cortical white matter. Again, an MRI is essential. This condition may cause a vascular kind of dementia.

Regarding the doubt about this being a TIA. A TIA is typically a spell of neuronal ischemia which lasts not more than 24 hours. Since the symptoms are longer than this, we can rule out the TIA here.

Since he is having problems in decision making, it looks like some of his frontal lobe functions are affected. It remains to be seen if the laser was responsible.

I would recommend that you schedule an MRI with and without contrast, a Neuropsychological assessment and a Neurologist's visit.

Hope you get your answers soon.

Regards

Dr Abhijeet Deshmukh
Thank YOU !!!
Hello.

You are welcome.

Has any appointment been scheduled for a detailed clinical examination and the investigations mentioned ? I guess, as you mentioned, his complete physical examination was never done.

Regards