Memory Loss Community
Dementia

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Dementia

My 78 year old Dad visited a neurologist who suggested we have an EEG and an MRI performed.  She listed his condition as "memory loss and slowness in thinking".  What will we learn from the EEG and MRI as it relates to Dad's condition?  And from whatever we learn, what are the possible treatments?

She also recommended we investigate Ariceipt and Razadyne. Why reasons are there not to proceed with the med treatment without the tests?

I don't understand the 'value-add' of the tests if the treatment will be the same.

Thanks in advance for your perspective.

I
Hello.

I understand your concern. But it is always better to have a clear diagnosis before we start treatment. This prevents any complications in the future.

The EEG and MRI will be able to tell if he has signs of Dementia. If the memory loss is recent, he may have what is called as 'Mild Cognitive Impairment' (MCI), which is an early stage of dementia. The possible treatments do include Aricept and Razadyne among other non-drug treatments.

The tests are being done to help us diagnose Dementia or MCI. If the tests do not indicate these, we have to think of other possibilities, and the treatment line will change.

Regards