Memory Loss Community
Difficulty Processing Verbal Information as Opposed to Written Informat...

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Difficulty Processing Verbal Information as Opposed to Written Information?

Yes just wondering if anyone has the same concern I have or know of someone who does where spoken instructions or questions are very difficult to understand or retain memory of. However verbal instructions or writing information a person who requests it (such as a doctor) is relatively unimpaired. I am following up with a neurologist and psychiatrist and the diagnosis and treatment are clinically complex. However was interested in how this can be managed on a daily basis with some pragmatic ideas or suggestions.
Hi! I, obviously, am no doctor (b/c I'm posting questions also-lol), but wanted to throw in my own experience. I have NO idea what's going on with me, no official diagnosis for anything, but I have noticed the same problem. I have memory loss/confusion, but I have noticed that it is almost impossible now for me to remember something if it is TOLD to me...conversations leave my memory almost immediately. Someone can tell me something & within the next few sentences from them, I have forgotten what they said in the beginning. And they get so frustrated when I ask a question & their only response is "I JUST said that". And I have a habit now of saying "I know you did, but it doesn't matter if you just said it, can you say it AGAIN". LOL  I wish I knew more about neurology & how the memory works, but I have ALWAYS had an easier time remembering things when I SEE them (that's why I never forget a face, & never forget directions of how to get somewhere once I've BEEN there.....well, until recently when the memory loss/confusion started). And while my memory is impaired these days in EVERY aspect, I do notice that it's easier to remember things if they're written. If you come across an answer to this question, I would love to know also. :)  I'm sure it has to do with which area of the brain is affected, but I don't know if there are treatments depending on which area of the brain is affected. That is very interesting & depending on what MY diagnosis is, I would be curious to know if there is a way to manage this type of symptom also. :)
Hi!

A friend  of mine was DX'd with Primary Progressive Aphasia (PPA)
and also presented  signs of  Adult Acquired Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), which has similar symptom presentation as what you're posting.
The DX criteria are almost non-existent in CAPD, however, impairment
or damage of the central auditory nervous system seems to be at the root of this. Have you had any  recent brain MRIs showing any abnormalities?
Neuroaudiology is a new emerging field in medicine.
You may want to go to the neuroaudiology website and under patient information look at the 2nd article for more info regarding this.
I will look at Dr.Daniel Amen's book "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life" to see if there's any references to CAPD or similar conditions.
More on this next time. Gotta run!
Blessings.
Niko