Memory Loss Community
Diffuse cortical atrophy

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Diffuse cortical atrophy

I am  having considerable amount of memory loss .  My MRI of brain came with an impression'early diffuse cortical atrophy' also in the report ' note made of rightward deviation of septum pellucidum at anterior aspect? Significance.  I have been given memanine hcl & alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine piracetam tab please advise abt my condition does it mean I am having dementia how can I fight with it I am a 45-year-old male from india
Hi  Pkumarkv.

If you look up "cerebral cortex" you will find out that it'a a layer of neural tissue,
about 2-4 mm thick surrounding  the brain and related to memory, language,
attention, thought, and other functions. Depending where the damage is, as there are up to 6 different layers, each with its own makeup of neurons
and connections, some of these functions will be impaired.
The non-specificity of location of the atrophy from your MRI results-diffuse meaning generalized- only allows for speculation that your memory issues are connected to this.
As far as septum pellucidum deviation-go to gray720.png for a Gray's Anatomy image- there seems to be no specific function associated with this
part of the brain other than blood transfer. So any narrowing of the space may have some constricting effects perhaps contributing to some of your issues.
As I mentioned in my other post the newer SPECT testing shows blood flow
in motion, for more accurate brain diagnostic work.
The Memanine hcl is a drug prescribed for mlid Alzheimer's Disease,
however, there's very little evidence that  it's effective!
The alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine piracetam  is a nutraceutical supplement that theoretically enhances over time brain function.

Please read my replies in this forum and also in the Alzheimer's Community
for more information.

Take care.
Niko

Hi  Pkumarkv.

for more information.

Take care.
Niko

Thanks a lot for sending a detailed reply

I found out at the age of 45 that I have slight cortical atrophy, I was not given any meds for this although I have had problems with my memory. for instance I tend to forget when I  am cooking and leave the stove on. another is that I will go into a room to get something and forget what I went there for, a third example is that when I went into college it took me 3 times longer to retain information. When the doctor explained what cortical atrophy she told me that I was 45 and my brain was 20 years advanced for my age. I am trying different things to help improve this such as diet, giving up smoking , exercise, and trying to work my brain by doing cross word puzzles and sudoku. Is there anyhting else you can suggest?
Thank you.
I was almost the same with loss of memory. I am so glad to have found
Magnesium L Threonate. This is what I use and my memory has improved.
I could memorize credit card nos. telephone, car plates without even trying. What's interesting is that I could do that up until 10 years ago. I got it back now after 6 months of being on this Mg. Its a supplement that needs to be taken daily with Vit D3, B Complex of equal mg and Calcium rich foods ( not pills) You could get Magnesium L Threonate  from Amazon and on line stores.

Magnesium L-Threonate featuring Magtein.™ Developed by MIT researchers, with seven patents pending, Magtein is the only form of supplemental magnesium shown to cross the blood-brain barrier and raise magnesium levels within the brain. By raising the brain's magnesium levels, Magtein promotes healthy neuronal activity for the support of healthy cognitive functions like recall, learning, decision making and spatial recognition.
Magnesium and the Mind
Magnesium is one of the most important minerals in the body. As a cofactor in over 300 different enzymes, it does a lot of things for many organs and tissues. Scientists have been aware of magnesium's role in the brain for decades, but direct evidence of its role in cognitive functioning has been elusive—until now.

In preliminary research published in the prestigious journal Neuron in 2010, MIT researchers screened every available form of supplemental magnesium and demonstrated in an animal model that Magnesium L-Threonate—and only Magnesium L-Threonate—has the ability to cross into the brain and boost magnesium levels. In their experiments, this increase in brain magnesium concentrations resulted in observable benefits in key cognitive measures.

The study was among the most downloaded papers in that year and has led to further studies both here and abroad, in both experimental and human models, to confirm its results and further our understanding of the connection between magnesium and the mind.

How Scientists Think It Works
Conventional brain-supporting supplements work by stimulating neurons that may or may not be a little "worn out." This can lead to a short-term benefit, but the results are fleeting and more servings must be taken to maintain the effects. Furthermore, constant over-stimulation can lead to neuronal burnout, eventually producing the opposite of the intended result.

Magnesium L-Threonate works differently. By boosting magnesium levels within the brain, scientists believe Magnesium L-Threonate helps neurons maintain a state of healthy sustained activity—neither over-stimulated nor under-stimulated. One could say that Magnesium L-Threonate helps keep the brain firing on all cylinders. And, scientists believe, by maintaining this healthy homeostasis, the brain can more easily respond to mental demands and perform cognitive tasks with less stress and fatigue.

For Students, Seniors and Professionals?
Researchers suggest that Magnesium L-Threonate could revolutionize the field of mental nourishment and help everyone achieve and maintain optimum cognitive function at every stage of life. One scientist we spoke to says it helps her perform complex critical thinking and maintain focus while drafting papers during those difficult times of the day when she usually struggles with fatigue and wayward thoughts. Students cramming for exams may find the same support. She also suggests that people whose occupations require prolonged concentration and attention—like executives and professionals, for instance—may benefit from Magnesium L-Threonate. Preliminary studies in aging animal models have shown that Magnesium L-Threonate helps revive cognitive functioning. Follow-up research is focusing on this area, with a variety of planned and in-progress human studies designed to determine if Magnesium L-Threonate might impact specific age-related challenges.
Hope it helps.