Memory Loss Community
Memory Loss

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Memory Loss

My mother had an incident yesterday where she lost her memory for an hour.  She doesnt remember what happened but she was walking around and scared and confused.  She knew at the time she needed to call for help and called my father but she cannot remember calling him.  An hour later my father came to pick her up and she recognized him and started to feel normal again.   What do you think caused her memory loss?
Hi.

How old is your mother now? Has she recently experienced emotional distress or very strenuous physical activity? Does she have a history of migraines? What about cardiovascular disease?

There is a condition called transient global amnesia wherein there is a sudden onset of loss of memory with retention of one's personal identity in spite of the amnesia. The person suffering from transient global amnesia has no symptoms that can be attributed to brain damage, no seizures, and has normal cognition. TGA lasts for less than 24 hours with gradual memory return.

Aside from strenuous physical activity and emotional distress, it can also be caused by sudden immersion in cold water, sexual intercourse, as well as some medical procedures. It usually affects people above 50 and the risk appears to increase in older people with a history of migraines.

It is difficult to distinguish immediately whether the sudden memory loss is due to TGA or a serious condition such as stroke, TIA or seizure. Because of this, prompt medical attention should be immediately given for persons experiencing sudden memory loss and confusion.

It would be advisable to have your mother consult a physician at the earliest possible time to assess her medical status.

Good luck.
This happened to me one day and my doctor diagnosed it as TGA. HE said short memory loss like that is TGA and it will usually happen one in a lifetime and that it isn't really anything to worry about.