Memory Loss Community
Memory loss/confusion from complex migraine??

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Hi! I am in the process of having more tests done, but it seems my docs don't even know which direction to LOOK. One doc gave me 10 different "guesses" as to what she thought the cause of my memory loss/confusion is.  I am a 35yr old female, w/ history of migraine w/ aura & several episodes of "complicated migraine". 2-3 months ago, I had an episode that they can only assume was a complicated migraine (MRI & EEGs were normal). The severity of the episode improved over 24-48hrs (I had gotten lost while driving around, in a familiar place, couldn't remember how to use my phone to get help, & was confused by everything...signs, words, conversations, etc)...except some memory loss & confusion. I have a hard time with timelines, what seems like happened 2-3 wks ago, I am told happened only a day ago. I can only remember bits & pieces of things, & what I DO remember, seems like it happened several weeks ago (like trying to recall a dream that you only vaguely remember). My thoughts get "jumbled up" & I don't know what's what sometimes (makes me wonder if it's an actual complicated migraine when that happens). But I don't know if complicated migraines can leave you with ongoing memory loss & confusion like this. I can't "hold on" to information for more than a few seconds before I have to get the info again. I usually can't recall the things I've done earlier in the day...like my brain is just not making a memory of it.
The neurologist I saw after my ER visit told me it could be a vitamin B-12 deficiency (and advised I started taking a B-complex vitamin...which I have been taking every day since then), she also suggested it could be hypothryoidism (which my mom has, & my tests last year were normal...but I plan to ask for a re-test), she also suggested a sleep disorder (but I've had trouble falling asleep since I was a kid, & nothing has changed). My doc is on the verge of calling this an early-onset form of dementia... I am even exploring psychiatric causes (schizophrenia) but I have no family history of that. I just want to know which direction to go in, & hope that it's something that can be TREATED.
I know you can't diagnose on here, I was just hoping for some insight & medical opinions on what possibilities can cause this, b/c right now my docs seems stumped (and so do I), & I haven't yet seen the 2nd neuro (who I hope doesn't play pin-the-tail-on-the-patient w/ her diagnoses like the last one). :)
Thank you for ANY insight/opinions you can share!
~Kim
Hi Kim.
Well well! You're leading quite a challenging life, my dear!
Things to do:

1. Complete Nutritional panel including tissue analysis for minerals.

2. Complete hormonal panel including thyroid function. If the latter
is negative again, checkout type 2 hypothyroid. (thyroid tests are notoriously inaccurate or inadequate!)

3. Neurotransmitter deficiency! You really need to be tested for this.

For now, take extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO), 2T daily to start in place of cooking oils, which are pro-inflammatory.
EVCO is one of tha few things that can cross the blood-brain-barrier to supply your brain with much needed nourishment and energy! You most likely have an impaired glucose uptake.
B12. take only methylcobalamin sublingual drops. (NOT cyanocobalamin!)
D3. take also sublingual drops.
Omega-3 from small cold water fish. Highest quality.
Transdermal magnesium oil daily!
Glutathione. Take Undenatured whey protein 10-20grams x3 daily in your shakes smoothies or yogurt or juice. NO blender-NO heat. Just mix well manually. Your glutathione levels when high, regulate the JNK gene.
The JNK gene when activated, it leads to SERIOUS disease over time.
Dementia, Bi-polar, Alzheimer's, etc.( JNK type 3 is specific for the brain.)
I suspect your glutathione levels are low.

Just curious. Do you have a health coach or somebody helping you with your health issues management?
This must be tough for you under the circumstances.
Please post again for details, questions or to just comment.
You may also pm me if you prefer.
Wish you well.
Niko

Hi Kim.
Things to do:

D3. take also sublingual drops.
Transdermal magnesium oil daily!

You may also pm me if you prefer.
Wish you well.
Niko

Hi Niko!
Thank you for your post. Actually, I am going to research the impaired glucose uptake... b/c when my memory issues first started, with the confusion/etc, I thought it was low blood sugar..had all the symptoms of low blood sugar. But my blood sugar was within normal limits (lower than it SHOULD be, I thought, but still "normal").  You mentioned both vitamins B12 & D3..... my doc put me on 50,000 IUs a week of vitamin D about 6wks ago, & the neuro I saw (who gave me 10 different possibilities for my memory loss), mentioned low B12 as a possible cause. So, I immediately started taking a B-complex vitamin...and have been on that for over a month now. But that's one of the tests I'm asking my doc to do, is a  B12 test... b/c either my B12 was never a problem (since nothing has changed since I've been taking it), or I have a problem absorbing the B12 I AM taking in oral form... since nothing has changed since I started taking it. ;)

I haven't heard of the JNK gene, or glutathione levels, so I want to research that too. Is that something docs would normally check out? And no I don't have a health coach necessarily, I have my regular primary doc. I also plan on having my thyroid checkd again, it's been a year since it was checked last & I'm not sure how quickly things could change with the thyroid, but since my mom is hypothyroid, and I have 75% of the symptoms of THAT, I want to keep on top of it if it DOES go low.

Thank you for your info, & insight... I just hope my doc has an idea of which direction to go, or else I'm afraid her next referral is going to be to a psychiatrist. LOL  Although, I have to admit I have thought about possible psychiatric causes also. But the only thing that comforts me there, is thinking that the very fact I even considered a psychiatric cause means it's probably NOT. ;) OH, & I've never heard anything about EVCO either... I need to research that too. :)

I don't know much about Medhelp yet, so I don't know how to PM people. :) Any pointers you can give in that area? LOL
Thanks again, for the info, & for the help.
~Kim
Hi Kim.
Just go over my name and this will open my profile box.
At the right side it gives you the option to "leave a note"
"send a message" or "add as a friend".  You can try all those 3
while you're at it, if you wish. I will get notified by email shortly afterwords.
When you have a new message, it will also show at the top right side of this page under "inbox", and any recent member activity within this part of the forum will be showing below that.

The glutathione levels, normally do not get checked. There are over 80.000
-not a typo- studies on glutathione!
The jnk gene is something that many MDs don't even know what it is!
Conventional medicine unfortunately leaves out many fundamental wellness
aspects, that could dramatically improve the health condition of most
sufferers. I could write an entire book on this.lol!

I'm sure I must have some reference on my medical record of possible psyche patient, as my Neuro many years ago suggested that all the symptoms were in my head-after his inability to keep my medical records and his notes in order and come up with anything useful to find some answers.
When I confronted him that he had my file mixed up, following some bizarre suggestions that had nothing to do with my case, he almost flipped!
I simply told him that would be the last time we would have any discussion,
as he couldn't even diagnose boiled eggs lol! and walked out!
It all turned out great,at the end and I'm now enjoying excellent health.
More on this another time perhaps.

For details on EVCO visit the coconut research center website.

gtg as I'm the cook tonight!

PM me anytime!
Cheers!
Niko

Wow, thanks for the info on how to navigate MedHelp & pm. :)  I would definitely like to keep in touch, as you seem to have some very good info! I am just getting into holistic medicine, & even going to take classes to become an ayurvedic practitioner (although I am JUST learning about the field). But I DO think traditional western medicine falls short SO much... and so many people I have talked to in my life have experienced this too...doctors just not having answers, & acting like if it doesn't jump up & slap them in the face, then it doesn't exist. It's sad really.

And I laughed out loud when I read your comment on what you said to your neurologist... I wish I had thought of that b/c that sounds like the neuro I saw a month or two ago, & I REALLY wanted to tell her how very little I thought she knew or understood about ANYTHING. Her last advice as I was leaving the room (after she "guessed" at 10 possible causes for my memory loss & confusion), she said "And don't worry, it will get better". Really??? That's her medical treatment plan "it'll get better"??? ;c) Wow, that was a great use of 12 years of her life through medical school, huh? LOL
Thanks so much for the info. I'm sure I will have tons more questions for you, since I am JUST starting my journey in holistic medicine. :)
~kim

Hi there, I have just come across your post and I was wondering if they found an answer for you. Two weeks ago I had the same issue. I was driving to a friends house and just forgot where I was going. Then the next day when I got to work didn't know what I was supposed to be doing or even where I sat. This all started with a migraine with auro. When I lost my memory they took me to the ER and all the tests such as MRI and EEG came back fine but my b12 was also low. Although my headache is gone I still have trouble with my memory such as never knowing what time it is and having to be reminded what day it is.  It's like the words are in my head but u can't get them out. Also my partner sets reminders for me every day a half hour before I need to do something as I never seem to remember. My on doc advised me to just rest and I would get better but I am not sure. I would love to hear if you found a solution. Thanks Paula
My husband has suffered from Migraines since he was 16. He is now 35. Three of his aunts all have similar migraines. When he gets a migraine his hands go numb and some times his vision is affected, he'll have weakness on his left side, difficulty speaking, and thinking clearly. In 2009 the left hand side of his body went numb and he was in the hospital for four days. They did extensive tests including CAT scans, MRI's, blood work, stress tests, and more. All of the tests came back normal. We recently found a neurologist who specializes in Migraines and he said that my husband might have Basilar Migraine. On Saturday my husband had a horrible migraine attack and his symptoms made me worried that he might be having a TIA or stroke so I took him to the hospital. They gave him an MRI, CAT scan, and did blood work while he was experiencing the migraine. His blood pressure was also through the roof. Then, just like in 2009, all of his test's came back normal. His neurologist came and said that since the test results show that nothing is wrong then my husband must be faking the symptoms and asked if there was something in his life causing him enough stress to cause him to fake a TIA.

Honestly, I was furious. I have watched my husband suffer from these migraines for years. With 15-20 migraine dominated days a month, he has learned to simply push through the pain and rarely complains. There is NO WAY in hell he has been faking all the neurological symptoms that I have observed over our 12 years of marriage. I felt like the neurologist was blaming my husband for his inadequacy as a medical professional; that simply because he didn't understand what was causing my husband's symptoms that he must be faking.

After reading your original post, it is somewhat encouraging to know that my husband is not alone.  I wish I had answers for you but we are still looking for them ourselves.  If you have found something that works please let me know.

-Kristin
Hi. I have had migrainnes for 14 years (since I was eleven). Some of them have been very viscious. I have been tested for eveything referenced in this chain multiple times. I always come back fine. Cat scans, and MRI are routine for me just to on the safe side. Recently the headaches have been coming with this confusion thing. I get lost driving(the one thing I am good at is directions so this makes me mad), I couldn't remember my husbands phone number and have a hard time focusing. The only thing I have noticed is that the higher my stress level, the worse the migrainne and the worse the confusion after. I find that relaxing more has helped a lot. I wish they could find something medically wrong with me so I could fix the problem but that does not seem to be an option.
The "rescue" remedy for this is cocnut oil.
Try 2T daily to start. Build up to 3 in week 3 and 4 in week 4.
Buy extra virgin organic, use raw and in your cooking in place of cooking oils that are pro-inflammatory. EVCO does not alter by heating it and it gives you a great sourse of energy for the brain.
Look into Botwellia Serrata Extract for one the best anti-inflammatory agents,
also works well against TNFa (tunor necrosis factor alpha), something associated with neuro-degenaration.
Avoid carbs including synthetic sweeteners, sodas, junk food etc.
Try this for 3 months to experience results.

Best wishes!
Niko
Hi, I went through something similar to yours for a few years though not as bad..
The only thing I would like to add to Niko's post is the use of Magnesium L Threonate. This will be on top of the use of Magnesium Oil.
Mg L Threonate is a new form of Mg that is found to be the only kind that would cross the blood brain barrier.
After 6 months of dally use, my memory has improved. If I fill up forms and have to write account numbers, it stayed in my head,  I finally memorized my credit card number, phone nos. plate nos. sometimes even if I was not trying to. I remember what I did yesterday or day before or long time ago.. Its good for memory recall of the past, though I still need help with speed recall / short term memory.  I like it though. Sleep is so much better, minimal leg cramps, I still need Mg Oil for leg cramps while its happening.
My family- teeth grinding is gone ( unless he did too much physical activity and got really tired, then it comes back) My cousins eye tics was lessened ( She was getting Botox injection to the area cause they were so strong).
She has just been on it a few months.. No more interrupted sleep, and so on.. I am b
My computer interrupts and my post above was not yet done.
To continue,
I just feel  so blessed to find Magnesium finally, it has made a huge difference in our lives. I have put my family relatives and friends on Magnesium :)
I wish you the best of health.
I have had migraine with episodes of confusion twice.  Most recently, I was on the treadmill and an ad came on for Kohl's and I wondered if I had a Kohl's near me.  Meanwhile...I shop there all the time.  Then went downstairs to watch t.v. and the show made no sense and I had blind spots.It took about an hour before I was less confused.  Then had a headache for 2 days.  I didn't bother going to the E.R., since I went last time I had a similar episode and tests came back okay.  I am trying to eat healthier, also started taking Vit. B and Vit. D as I am trying to get my cholesterol down without the meds.
Hi itsme11 and welcome to the forum.

I know you don't have a question, but I have a question for you.

Why are you trying to lower your cholesterol, specially in light

of your recent episodes? Cholesterol might be actually beneficial for you!

The cholesterol myth that we have been told, sounds like a 40 year old

broken record.

“It's not what you don't know that kills you, it's what you know for sure that ain't true.” by Mark Twain

Please let me know if you need more details.

Blessings,