Memory Loss Community
Memory

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Memory

Every place I look it is all about Altzeimers. I do not think I have early Altzeimers. I do not know. I have been hit many times in the head. The last time was about four years ago. It felt as if my brain moved. It felt as if it slooshed into the back of my skull. Since then I have been experiencing problems with my memory and retention. More than usual. And I am now starting to have problems with remembering simple words. I will try to say something like " where is their house?" and will not remember the word house. It can take minutes of me stumbling and grasping through my mind before I can remember. Even though it is a common word. Can the being hit all my life & memory issues be related? Or is it because I am older (almost 40)? Or is it something else?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Memory loss can be triggered by sleep disorders. Please consult a sleep specialist to start with. Certain types of epilepsies and seizures too cause short term memory loss along with tiredness or fatigue. Chronic infections too are known to precipitate memory loss. Disorders of the hypothalamus, chronic fatigue syndrome and psychiatric disorders like depression too cause similar symptoms. The possibility of premenopause causing this too will have to be looked into. The enumerated the possibilities should be ruled out one by one. Hope this helps. Take care!
Hey MamaEarth,.
I like the name!

It makes me sad to hear about your situation.
It must be hard to deal with all this.

Look also into TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury.
Aphasia ( speech impairment with difficulty expressing and finding the right words), memory loss and other cognitive symptoms are common with TBI,
some of them arising later with prolonged or permanent effects.
My mom, who passed on in May, suffered from TBI following a nasty accident, involving a drunken driver, about 6 years ago. She developed the same symptoms you are mentioning.
Definitely not age related though, if indeed it is TBI.
You should have this evaluated, as there are many things that can be done to alleviate the symptoms.
I wish you the best and please let me know if you need any details, as I have studied the various aspects of TBI and I also do Therapy dealing with the emotional components of other related conditions as mentioned by Dr. Mathur (depression, CFS, FMS, etc.)
Niko

PS.
     Feel free to pm me directly if you wish.
      Your emotional pain and now your distress may be as great or greater        than your  cognitive issues.
You are NOT older at 40! You are still young and you can have many healthy and good years ahead of you. There's a lot that can be done.