Memory Loss Community
memory loss

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

memory loss

My MRI shows chronic ischemic foli in cerebral white matter.Mixed altered signal in pre central gyrus on right side.I forget afew things like names or why I have gone to a room.I am independent.my consultant neurologist says everything is ok.I did very well in cognitive memory assessment .I am still prescribed a tablet which I am to take for life.Please explain to me in simple words what this all means.
Hey dumbo1.
Welcome to the forum.

There's nothing very specific nor significant to your memory issues
according to the info you provided from the MRI.
I personally believe that MRIs are a bit limiting as the imaging is static.
There's very little static about the brain, which is active in astronomical
proportions! The newer SPECT imaging I believe provides for greater Dx , preventive and treatment possibilities. But that's my opinion.

The first part (ischemic folic) indicates some generalized neuronal damage from lack of oxygen stemming probably from blood flow constriction.
Perhaps your tablet for life is a blood thinner.
You should have this explored further to my opinion and find the cause, if possible.

The second observation from the precentral gyrus, seems irrelevant, as this
is the main motor center of the brain which initiates movement by contraction of the muscles. Again I'm not a neuro-radiologist, nor do I have anything to go by, other than the info on your post.
It is your right as a patient to have some clear explanation on this from your Neurologist. So, just for peace of mind, contact his office and find out.

It's great that you did well with the cognitive memory assessment, however,
I urge to get familiar with brain function, brain anatomy and pathology,
as I find more and more, that the medical system is overburdened, doctors don't have much time to be thorough, to follow through with the leads and look into all the possibilities.
Being knowledgeable and proactive makes a huge difference.
A good resource for such information is from some of Dr. Amen's books, like "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life". He's written 28 books about the brain.
Just do a search.

Also have a look at my response to gergneslo earlier today in this forum.
You may find some helpful information.
One thing I personally do for brain health as well as for general health is consume extra virgin organic coconut oil daily!
Hope this helps.

Wish you well.
Niko

hi:
could you please me an answer to my query
thanks a lot
Hi Niko
     Thanks for such  nice useful infor about my report.