Menopause Expert Forum
10 days with period
About This Forum:

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

10 days with period

I went to see my Dr because I did not get a period for 3 months. I thought it was menopause, for I am 49 years old. She send me to have a ultrasound. It shows that my uterus lining is very thick, like 22mm and I also have a cyst in my left ovary, I am schedule to have a biopsy. Now I have my period but I have been bleedind heavily now for ten days. Is this normal I am gettin worried
Related Discussions
242601_tn?1217000247
The word normal is difficult to define because "normal" can be such a wide range of symptoms. While it is likely that your experience is normal, the testing is needed to answer the question. Often at age 49, estrogen levels are high but because ovulation does not occur, the progesterone level does not increase and a period does not occur. The period is designed to shed the uterine lining. If that doesn't happen, it just builds up which is what happened in your case. After the biopsy, your doctor might place you on some progesterone every 1 to 3 months so this doesn't continue to happen. But your body is in a state of transition and will have changing needs over the next few years.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank