Menopause Expert Forum
25 year old, FSH ~10-12

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

25 year old, FSH ~10-12

Hello. I am a 25 year old who recently inquired about becoming an egg donor. At the time of my visit I was given a blood test on the 3rd day of my period and I was informed that my FSH level was too high to be an egg donor (approximately 11). I went to my OB/GYN and told her this information and had the FSH retested, again it was between 10-12 (I forget the exact number). My other hormone levels were normal and my thyroid hormones were also normal. I was told that I may have trouble conceiving if I waited to long to have children (my doctor gave me 2 reasons: premature ovarian failure or a pituitary tumor). I have been on birth control pills since I was 16, and then switched to Nuvaring when I was 22. Does Nuvaring have an effect on FSH levels?
One of the unspoken risks of being an egg donor is that sometimes a woman gets information she does not want from the screening testing. While an FSH value of 11 might be higher than the program cut off, it does not absolutely mean you will have trouble conceiving. Many women would be very happy to have that level.

It does mean that with this knowledge you will now likely worry. It also means that when the time comes for you to have your own children, it is worth trying to do so sooner than later just to be on the safe side. The Nuvaring should not increase FSH. If anything, it might lower it while you are using it.  There is not a lot one can do to change FSH levels or prevent them from going up. You can check your day 3 level each year or two just to see if it is changing.  
Machelle M. Seibel, MD