Menopause Community
Am I done with menopause?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Am I done with menopause?

I'm 51 years old.  I was on DepoProvera up until a year ago so I haven't had a period in over 15 years.  Since I've been off the depo i have not had a period.  is there some way to tell if i'm menopause, or if i'm done with it?  I am sexually active, and I need to know if I need to use any birth control?
Tags: Menopause
Yes it's very easy. You can either get your doc to do a blood test for FSH which will show you if you are in the menopause or even post menopausal. Or as I've said on a lot of posts today, you can buy a home test online. Just search for home menopause test kit and it will come up with loads of places you can buy one. They're very reliable and cheap and you perform a urine test like a pregnancy test. This will show you if you are menopausal, that is, if your FSH is in the menopausal range over 25, but it will not give a precise figure like a blood test will. So the bet way to see exactly what figure you're at, as the higher the FSH the more post menopausal you are, is to get the blood test. My FSH is currently classed as post menopausal at 60, and my periods have stopped. But you have to go a full yr to be classed as completely menopausal for birth control. With you being on the DepoProvera, you definately need to know your FSH after all this time without a period because of the med, in order to know if you are definately meno or not.
I have been going through menopause for 31/2 years - no period, hot flashes, mood swings, etc.   In the last few months I have been able to wear fleece pjs and socks to bed with no hot flashes. I was taking estrogel and prometrium but stopped at the same time the symptons started to abate.  Am I done meneopause?