Menopause Community
Anyone know how long it takes HRT to work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for HRT to start working? I have been taking estradiol and norethindrone acetate for almost two weeks and so far I don't feel very much better. It has helped the hot flashes somewhat but the other symptoms are about the same. Isn't it supposed to help with sleep. This is so miserable. I still cry everyday and the shaking is still bad. This menopause is the worst. I wish I could have been one of those who breezed through it. I wish we all could have been that lucky.
Hi VondaSP, I feel your pain. I am 13 weeks post-op after having my ovaries removed, and was thrown into surgical menopause. When I left hospital I was not given any HRT or real advice about what to expect. After the first 2 weeks of mainly recovering from surgery, my body was thrown into a very brutal menopause. For another 2 weeks, I completely fell apart, then 4 weeks after surgery I started on anti depressants, which took 8 weeks to fine tune. I also started 5 weeks ago on estrogel,which covered the hot flashes and alot of the insomnia. I am not normally a depressive person, but without hormones it all became to much. Don't be a matyr, obviously they haven't got your mix right. Antidepressants take about 4-6 weeks to really see the benefits, but I'm 200% compared to 4 weeks ago,you will get there, I promise.
Im right there with you. I started HRT just a week ago. My syptoms (symptoms) seem the same if not worse than when I started HRT. I am anxious, cant sleep, very irritable, hot flashes, seem depressed and disconnected, and my ears ring constantly. Thinking maybe need an antidepressant on top of this. Its all a little too much to handle but I do go to see my OBGYN on March 29th. Hope he has some answers. Menopause is just not fair.
Menopause is not fair. You sound a lot like me. I went on HRT because I was so anxious all the time, wasn't sleeping, kind of depressed and had hot flashes. The HRT helped with the hot flashes and I don't have mood swings very much anymore but the anxiety and depressed feelings are still there. My gynecologist put me on the generic for Zoloft 25mg but I only take half that. I have only been on it for about a week but I am still anxious, shaky, and don't sleep. I have Ativan .5mg for when the anxiety gets too much. I have this anxiety most all day long everyday. I would love it if someone could tell us how long this will last. On top of all this, when I started the HRT, I got my period again, even though my gyn said I wouldn't(I take Activella). It seemed my symptoms got worse also. I get so stressed somedays, I feel like I am losing my mind.  Why can't someone invent a medication to stop all the misery of menopause!!!
I've only been on Prempro since March 13, 2010 and didnt take it for 3 days because I got scared about being on it and my ears seemed to ring longer. Well, Im back on it.  I didnt take it on March 21st, 22nd, and 23rd.  I decided to give it a fair trial and went back on it on the 24th. Even went to my GP yesterday to discuss maybe just using an antidepressant. She said many women are on it, and she felt it wouldnt hurt to try it for 6 months and if I dont want to stay on it then they could wean me off of it while introducing an antidepressant at the same time so that when I came off HRT I would be on an antidepressant fully. I keep being tempted to just not take anything, deal with whatever symptoms I might have, at least knowing that those are my symptoms and not side effects of HRT or any other medication such as an anti-depressant. I know for some though that menopause can be a hard time, very difficult to cope with, and just plain miserable, so I give Kudos to women who no matter what they do to get through it that at least they got through :)