Menopause Community
BCP for perimenopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

BCP for perimenopause

I knew I was officiallyin peri since 2011 (45 and skipped close to 3 mos of periods, prior to that, the every 2 or 3 weeks thing, misc spotting, but fine emotionally) I was ok until until Aug 12, when I had a a massive panic attack (never before), and then had some wild mood swings and then the insomnia started. That really freaked me out and it took my another 6 weeks to realize this was hormonal. Once I saw the signs of meno, it seems like I had all of them. Instead of hot flashes, I was just sweating like crazy, knees getting creaky, exhaustion, no drive, and sort of sad a lot (and now, for fun the heart palps). My dr. 1st wanted to put me on low dose bcp pills. I had them when I was younger and don't remember any issues, but I was convinced HRT was the way to go. My sister went through this right about the same age.(she transitioned to HRT w/o any issues) After trying different things for the last few months, I'm not feeling any better, so I think bcp could be a better option. I just have to wait 2 weeks to clean everything out of the system and then the dr (who is very nice and supportive) will retest my blood levels again and if my FSH is still not at the threshhold, she will start me on the pills. I was just looking to see if people have had success on these assisting with the various symptoms and especially the insomnia?. I realize that the ones who have done well probably aren't out here looking, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I have 2 more weeks of trying various things that give me some much needed rest (it's really hard when you are someone who could sleep so good) Much like others during this hormonal phase, I would just like to feel like myself again.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hormonal treatment will help with the hot flashes, night sweats and prevent osteoporosis and joint pains. However it cannot be said how much it will help with mood swings, panic attacks and insomnia. It would be best to see a counsellor for any psychological issues. Regular exercise, relaxation techniques and some form of meditation should help.
Take care and good luck.