Bleeding 18 months after menopause & last period!
My mum who is 54 started the menopause a couple of years ago & hasn't had a period for 18 months.... until NOW! She has been to her GP who said it is not good for that to happen & has referred her to a gynaecologist. She is very worried as too am I as it may be some time before she gets seen to get some answers so I was wondering if you could shed some light on the problem please? What could it possibly mean? Is it serious or life threatening? Thank you. A worried daughter!
Hi - the same thing has just happened to me, not a very heavy period but a bit of a surprise!  Before I hit menopause I was getting bleeding between my periods similar to what I have just had. I got it checked out and found I have a small fibroid and that was causing it so it may be something to do with that - I am seeing my doctor tomorrow for other stuff and I was going to talk to him about it.  I am not too concerned, it is probably just part of the process and I guess your GP was being cautious, I hope she does not have to wait too long to see the gynaecologist.  At least she is doing something about it - that is a good thing even if it is worrying.  She is lucky to have a daughter who worries and cares about her like you do.
I know how worrying this can be as I'm going through the waiting to get in to see a gynecologist for a similar problem myself.  I'm sure that they'll do a uterine biopsy (done in office, quickly and without having to be put under anesthetic) to check but, it seems lots of women have this happen with no real problems.  Could be just a bit of hormonal fluctuations again kicking in.  Did she gain weight recently or lose it?  That can sometimes disrupt balances.  
I am going through the same thing 18 months since my last period and then out of the blue I start bleeding and have been bleeding for 4 days my gp has referred me for a two week appointment and said cancer needs to be ruled out I am worried to death
I must raise my hand. Exactly 18 months since last period, here I go again. And I just had my annual gyn checkup 6 weeks ago! Doctor will see me in 1.5 weeks.

Weird was I never had weight gain/swelling before periods, but the night before this began, I had SUDDEN 4 lb.gain and feet swelled so that I could not get my shoes on (not legs, lung sounds were clear).  
I suspect ultrasound, endometrial biopsy and bloodwork at minimum are in my near-future.