Menopause Community
Bleeding 18 months after menopause & last period!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

My mum who is 54 started the menopause a couple of years ago & hasn't had a period for 18 months.... until NOW! She has been to her GP who said it is not good for that to happen & has referred her to a gynaecologist. She is very worried as too am I as it may be some time before she gets seen to get some answers so I was wondering if you could shed some light on the problem please? What could it possibly mean? Is it serious or life threatening? Thank you. A worried daughter!
Tags: Menopause
Hi - the same thing has just happened to me, not a very heavy period but a bit of a surprise!  Before I hit menopause I was getting bleeding between my periods similar to what I have just had. I got it checked out and found I have a small fibroid and that was causing it so it may be something to do with that - I am seeing my doctor tomorrow for other stuff and I was going to talk to him about it.  I am not too concerned, it is probably just part of the process and I guess your GP was being cautious, I hope she does not have to wait too long to see the gynaecologist.  At least she is doing something about it - that is a good thing even if it is worrying.  She is lucky to have a daughter who worries and cares about her like you do.
I know how worrying this can be as I'm going through the waiting to get in to see a gynecologist for a similar problem myself.  I'm sure that they'll do a uterine biopsy (done in office, quickly and without having to be put under anesthetic) to check but, it seems lots of women have this happen with no real problems.  Could be just a bit of hormonal fluctuations again kicking in.  Did she gain weight recently or lose it?  That can sometimes disrupt balances.