Menopause Expert Forum
Bleeding Mid Cycle

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Bleeding Mid Cycle

I am almost 51 and have some been missing occasional periods. My Dr. said I am entering menopause as my FSH has started to increase.

Yesterday I started seeing dark blood on Day 12. I am still bleeding today and it has turned bright red. It's more like a period than just spotting. I even have some period-like cramps. I've never before had mid-cycle bleeding, so I'm worrying that something is horribly wrong - i.e.some type of cancer. I had a normal PAP in February.

I remember my Dr. once saying that shorter periods are a normal part of menopause (i.e.18 days), but mid cycle bleeding was reason for concern...So now I'm worried that something horrible is going on.

Seeking reassurance.
There are many types of abnormal bleeding patterns as menopause approaches. Most of them are not due to cancer. We have women get checked to be sure they don't have a bad problem. That involves taking a small sample of the uterine lining out of the uterus with a thin catheter. This is called an endometrial biopsy. It causes a mild cramp and gives very good information on the health of the uterine lining. Pap smears don't usually tell what is going on inside the uterus. Just on the cervix or "neck of the uterus".

While it is unlikely that anything is going to be horribly wrong, it is a good idea to talk with your doctor and get to the bottom of the problem.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD