Menopause Expert Forum
Bleeding during sex

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Bleeding during sex
I am 43 years old.  I had a hysterectomy 1 1/2 years ago.  They removed my uterus and one ovary.  I had no bleeding after surgery.  Then a few months after, I start some light spotting.  I thought it might be due to some extra activity, trying to get back to normal, so I ignored it.  This happened a few more times around the same time each month, which I found kind of odd, so I made a call to my doctor.  She said it wa very normal that this happens sometimes, that some cells could be left once the uterus is taken, so cause some light bleeding.  Ok I thought, because anything was better than the periods I had before surgery.  But now, a few months will pass and no bleeding, then I'll spot a bit and then again no bleeding for another few months.  It's so infrequent that I can't keep track of when during the month it happens.  One time I have intercorse with my husband and I bleed alot and then the next time I'm fine, then the next I bleed.  I'm at a point now that I don't want to have sex with my own husband because I don't know if I'll bleed on him.  Can you suggest anything I can do?  PLEASE.

Have your doctor do an exam. Sometimes a piece of the fallopian tube can get caught in the top of the vagina where the incision was, or there can be something called granulation tissue which is tissue that comes in the healing process. Either of these can cause bleeding with intercourse. If that is the problem, it can usually be touched with a silver nitrate stick in the office which will cause it to heal over in a short while. If your doctor doesn't see anything or have other suggestions, try getting a second opinion for this. There is usually something that can be done to correct it.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thank you so much for that comment.  It made me feel a whole lot better.  I have scheduled for a second opinion already and feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  

Thank you again
Tammy