Menopause Community
Body odor changes in Menopause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Body odor changes in Menopause

I am actually trying to respond to the existing forum on this subject, because I seem to have tripped over a solution to this problem that's working for me.

For the past year I have been suffering severe hot flashes, night sweats, etc.  I cannot take hormone treatments due to fibroid cysts in my breasts.  A few months ago I noticed a strange, acrid odor coming from my skin.  It's not like underarm odor or foot odor, and it's not terribly strong, but it's terribly annoying to me.  I've tried everything from new soaps, lotions, deodorants, showering 2-3 times a day--but I couldn't get rid of it.

Then, out of desperation, I remembered by sister-in-law telling me about a fiber product she used for improving her general health--as we get older we don't digest our food as well and a lot of us need extra help with digestion.  I had tried it, but stopped using it because you have to dissolve it in water and it gets thick, and I didn't really like it.  But she also claimed that after using it, her bowel movements did not have any odor!  Well, I didn't believe that, but it occurred to me that if it worked on bowel movements, perhaps it would remove the odor coming from my skin.  Like I said, I was desperate.

So, I tried it in the morning.  That day I didn't have any odor.  I skipped it the next day, and the odor came back. The third day I tried it again--no odor that day. I'm now using it regularly, although I still don't really like it. The brand name of the product I'm using is called FiberSmart--but probably any good bran product would work--Metamucil, etc.  It contains lactobacillus acidophilus, bifidobacteria, FOS and L-Glutamine and a list of other things.  So far, it's been working.  I'm hoping to find the same thing in a pill, but for now I'm using it. Hope that helps!
I have had a change in the past 6 months with feminine odor.... It is VERY bad after my cycle and I've tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it.  I've never had this issue before, but it is very bothersome and I cannot use feminine wash three or four times a week, which is the only thing that seems to temporarily take care of it.  Anyone else with that issue, or with a suggestion?
Help--I too have had a body odor that is driving me crazy.  It's on my hands in my female area.  Sometimes I can smell it in the house.  It almost smells like our liquid dishwashing soap.
I am 54 soon to be 55 and have gone through menopause naturally.
I had a colonoscopy 6 months ago.