Menopause Expert Forum
Brown discharge following period

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Brown discharge following period

I'm 51 years old, and continue to have regular periods.  For several months now, at the end of my 7- day long period, I will go several days with a brown discharge, which includes what looks to be the sloughed lining of the uterus. Is this part of perimenopause, or should it be something I should have checked out?  I know I have a couple of uterine fibroids as seen on a vaginal ultrasound about 2-3 years ago.  I also have alot of abdominal tenderness throughout the month.  I've never really considered endometriosis at this "late stage" of the game, but am beginning to wonder if it may be causing the tenderness and additional discharge.  

Thank you, in advance, for your comments/advice.
At 51, the most likely cause of the problem is perimenopause. But since you do have abdominal tenderness, it is a good idea to be seen by your gyn to be sure  you do not have a problem such as an abnormal uterine lining or endometritis (an inflammation of the uterine lining). For droddy, it might also be a good idea to have a blood count done and check for low iron as well. Iron deficiency is a common cause of staining in younger women and it is treated by taking iron tablets for about 3 to 6 months to both treat the low iron and build back up your iron stores.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
I am 38 and since I had my last child at the age of 35 I too have been having brown discharge after my period ends. My period normally last 4 days with a little brown discharge and then ends now my period last 4 to 6 days followed by 2 to 3 days of brown then add 3 more red days followed by 2 to 4 more days of brown. I went to a gyn who ran all kinds of test to see if possible menopause because of my grandmother and aunts on my fathers side all had early menopause but he said all blood work good and could give no explanation as to why the pain  and extended period. I'm tired all the time and take daily naps, vitamins don't help, I was fixed as to we didn't want anymore so I don't know if this is the cause or what but I'm curious what the doctor says to you.