Menopause Community
Burning Mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Burning Mouth

I am 50 years old and for the past year have felt a burning sensation on my tongue as if it were scorched by hot liquid or food.  The sensation subsequently has spread to my entire mouth and sometimes down my throat.  I also experience a numbness and tingling and icy hot sensation on the left side of my face that comes and goes.  I can touch the area that is tingling and it will subside but then returns.  The sensations go away as I sleep, but recur shortly after I awake.  I have had a CAT Scan of my brain with good results.  Has anyone experienced or heard of such symptoms related to menopause?
Yes!!! I was told for 3 yrs it was meno related, until I got really ill, and the burning spread to my eyes, skin and other symptoms too. It can be just related to meno and is caused by the fluctuation in hormones until your periods stop altogether. But in my case it was also due to a condition called Sjogren's syndrome which is often triggered by the meno. You might want to consider that too. Hope this helps.