Menopause Community
Can hot flashes cause fainting and/or numbness of hands and feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Last night while driving home from work I had a severe hot flash that caused me to almost faint. My fingers and toes began to tingle, followed by numbness in my hands and feet and then numbness in my arms and legs. I had shortness of breath. Could all of this be brought on by a hot flash? If so, can hot flashes be brought on by stress? This is the third time it has happened and it's scary - especially while driving. I have recently been to a doctor for head and chest congestion and my EKG, breathing tests, and lung xrays were good, although I have had shortness of breath lately. Should I get a diagnosis from my gynechologist, family doctor, or a specialist (what kind?)?
You mentioned that you were at the doctor recently for head and chest congestion.  What was your congestion from?  And could it be linked to what is happening to you now?  I never experienced numbness, just tingling and all the docs I went to say it was anxiety and could also result from menopause.

After many, many months, it was finally discovered that I was being exposed to mold at work.  I am not stating your problem is mold, when I am stating is to continue to see doctors for your symptoms and find a doctor who listens to you and does not dismiss your symptoms.  Good luck.
I took a hot bath last night and was very relaxed, so when I got out, I began to till feel hot, so I hurried to dress, so I could open the door to get air, well I opened the door, but still felt hot, so I went outside where it felt good, but I was still hot, I felt like I was going to faint,  so I went in to lay down,  but felt my vision going black, and I felt really dizzy and breathing hard, I missed the be and hit my head on the tv, got up and tried to get up, but don't remember how I fell, and found myself face down on a sofa near my bed, I just remember I needed to lay down and fast, my head hurt I got some water to cool down, and slowly came to my sences, but today my left thumb and forearm is numb, what's going on???
I would seed medical help immediately. Doesn't seem like normal menopausal problems.  Since it seems that you blacked out.  
My experience has included freezing, numbness in leg most of each day for over a week, now mild hot flashes are starting. Have seen family Dr., gyn, neurologist. I forgot intenal tremors, and crying jags. Anything goes with meno!!!!!!
I have some terrible things going on.. It seems like a cruel joke to me that any one person can feel so bad during Menopause. I have vision problems...Eyes checked out fine except for slight dry eye .But sometimes i just dont feel like i,m seeing right..cant explain it really. I get the breathing thing during a hotflash and start panting because it feels like i cant get a breath. I almost hypervenilate i think.Ive had dizzy to..but that i think was caused by a sinus infection i had. I have noises in my ears..I have tingling, numbness in body parts expecially my head..Ive had several CT scans...nothing shows. But it sometimes feels like a vice grip around head.Internal tremors like redhotrosie.The list goes on
list of smptoms, dizzness, long periods,crying all the time, anxiety,depressed, feel like im going crazy, shaky,numbness,tingling. feel like im walking off balance. headaches.
I noticed you mentioned a feeling in your leg.  Mine feels like it goes numb/floating like I can't get it going.  Sometimes my head feels that way too.  It is one of the things I enjoy the least besides the head and eyes.  It makes me feel as though I am loosing control of my legs and mind but within a  few seconds it comes back.  Have you noticed any kind of exercise/activity brings it on?  This morning I did some work in the yard, came in and rested on the bed then tried to get up and get going and it all hits.  Yuk!!!  We can get thru this though and we will be stronger and better for it.  I want to encourage everyone to not add panic on top of the anxiety panic.  Look it straight in the eye.  Like the eye of a hurricane and don't let it get the best of you.
Anne56
Make sure you get the numbness checked out on all counts.  Hopefully it is just menopause, but when you mentioned that exercise or activity brings it on, that's sometimes a sign of a mini stroke, or heart - excercise often worsens the symptoms for heart attack or stroke. Try taking an aspirin to see if the numbness goes away - if it does, you might be suffering from something more than just menopausal symptoms.  I'm currently checking into my "numbness" symptoms, and I have been having similar experiences (and am smack in the middle of menopause), but I also had an abnormal stress test.  See if you can get a CT scan and a stress test if you haven't yet.
Hi my names is Susan and i'm 37yrs old i've been having shortness of breath dizzyness and nauser first then tingle and numness in my hands and haveyness in my leg once's a mth for at least 4/5hrs for the past 4mths. I was amitted to the hospital 2 times and they did a blood test and Ctscan everything was clear. They can't find what's wrong with me so what causes it.I'm very scared and don't know what to do.