Menopause Expert Forum
Can progesterone cream cause bleeding?

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Can progesterone cream cause bleeding?

I guess I am still perimenopausal.  My last period was in September.  My gyn started me on a progesterone cream for some abnormal hormone levels and to hopefully help with anxiety/depression.  I use it for 3 weeks, off for 1 week, then repeat it.  So far, I've just used it for this one cycle and restarted just today and today, I started bleeding.  Not sure if it is related to the cream or a period.  My gyn did say if bleeding started, to call her and she may have to adjust the dose or something like that.  Not sure if I should call her right away or not.  I'm thinking more of waiting a few more days, since the weekend is near, maybe calling on Monday if bleeding is still there.  Thanks.
It is always difficult to answer specific questions for a person without knowing all the history about them. So I'll try to answer in general. In perimenopause, a woman is making estrogen, but not progesterone. Giving her progesterone will often cause bleeding. The bleeding causes the lining to shed which prevents buildup of the lining that could otherwise lead to uterine cancer. So what you are describing might be totally normal and to be expected.

To be certain, it is a good idea to contact your doctor on Monday and see what he or she thinks since they know more about you and why they gave you the progesterone. But is sounds like waiting till Monday should not be a problem.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD