Menopause Expert Forum
Constant hot flash

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

Constant hot flash

I am 62 and had my last period in 1997.  Since then I alway feel hot even though I have a tempature of 97 F.  Its not to bad during the day but at night I so hot I can sleep.  What can I do about this?
A. First make sure your thyroid hormone levels are normal as that is another cause of feeling warm.  If the problem is with hot flashes or low estrogen levels, some simple steps are to exercise, do yoga, drink at least 8 glasses of water daily and avoid hot, spicy foods.  Talk with your doctor about using estrogen if that is possible or acceptable for you and about estrogen alternative if that is not.  You can also read two of my books on the: The Soy Solution for Menopause and A Woman
I've been having hot flushes and night sweats for over five years, and I'm just wondering if they will ever end! I did go on to use HRT for the first six months and although it was great and did make the symptoms disappear, I was never happy about being on it, so came off it. Since then I have been plagued with the miseries of menopause. I keep thinking it can't go on forever, but I have to know if anyone else knows how long I can expect this to continue for. I have tried black cohosh and soy milk, but nothing helps to ease the misery.