Menopause Expert Forum
Could high levels of fsh be something other than menopause?

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

I took a FSH blood test and my doctor informed me that it was at a high level and I was going thru menopause.  I am 39 years old and have not had a period for 1 year.  This past year I have been under a huge amount of stress. There hasn't been one day where I wasn't stressed about something.  The doctor informed me that he wants to take more blood tests.  My question is this:  is it possible if my FSH levels come back high that it could be something other than menopause?  I am worried now that he wants to take more tests to check other areas such as cancer.  I have never had children.  Since I began having my period at the age of 13 I had very bad cramps and heavy periods.  I had a cyst removed from my ovary in 2002 and there after my periods where very light and no cramping at all.  Is it possible that stress can cause my FSH levels to be high?  Thank you for your response.
A. High levels of FSH most often are due to the approach of menopause.  But it doesn