Menopause Community
Could this be a sign of Perimenopause or beginning of Menopause or some...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

Could this be a sign of Perimenopause or beginning of Menopause or something else?

I am 47 and pretty healthy overall. I've always had very regular, normal periods. No major health issues, except some digestive issues that for the most part are pretty treatable. I've had two surgeries in the past, an appendectomy and a mass removed from my small intestine, but I've done pretty well since then.

A few years ago I had an ultrasound done, also, because I was having abdominal pain but they didn't see anything except a large gallstone in my gallbladder.

This month my period came on time, early in the morning of Feb. 2nd. Normally, my periods last about 4 to 5 days. However, I still am having some bleeding well past when I should have, fluctuating between bright red and brown (as if it was stopping but would start up again). It was only a small amount and didn't think too much of it at first until yesterday, Feb. 15th, it acted more like a beginning of a period (heavier). I am still bleeding and am puzzled by this because this makes 15 days now of bleeding. That has never happened before.

The only other thing I noticed this month was my breasts were extemely painful the week before my period started (started out feeling itchy for a few days and then  moved to painful). I've had this happen before (though not every month) and attributed it to hormones.

I also had one incident about 5 days after my period started (around the 6th) where I started getting cramping that got worse and worse till I could barely move or breathe, it hurt so bad. I've had cramping before, of course, but never to this extreme and even though it felt similar to menstrual cramping, it felt different and more intense than I've ever experienced. This lasted about a half hour and then gradually let up.

I'm just wondering if I'm starting to experience the beginnings of Perimenopause or Menopause or if it could be something else? Should I get tested for anything else?
Also, I heard there's a blood test that can be done to see if you're entering Menopause but someone told me you have to time it right, so when is the right timing for that?

I don't have hot flashes or anything like that. Just wondering why my period is not letting up more than two weeks after it started.
Have you asked your gynocologist about the heavy bleeding?  What about routine lab work?  Have you had labs recently?  Heavy bleeding could be attributed to a thyroid problem so maybe check that.  Menopause is declared once it has been 12 months since your last period.  Since you are having periods, you're not there yet, but likely, given your age, you are in the perimenopausal stage.  I haven't ever had the tests you mention that detects where one is on the perimenopausal scale.  I just go by symptoms-hot flashes, night sweats, etc.  I think you should run  your symptoms by a doc just to make sure all is well.  Good luck!
I haven't seen a gynocologist yet. I wasn't able to make an appointment any time soon with them so I made an appointment with my general practitioner for tomorrow. I would have rather have gone to women's health but we'll see what he says. I'm on day 17 now with the bleeding. Just seems odd to me but maybe it really is just perimenopause or something, I don't know. It's not super heavy, just seems like a period that isn't stopping.
Saw the doctor today and he thinks it's the beginning of Perimenopause but said we'll do an ultrasound just to make sure there's no fibroids or anything else going on. Also, got some blood work and urinalysis done. So, we'll see what all that says when it comes back but it does look like I'm just entering Perimenopause.
Sounds like a plan.  Hope the u/s and lab all come back normal.  :)
Hello Dear,
Do you experience any more symptoms Like night sweat, hot flesh etc. If you feel any other symptoms apart from bleeding then you may hit menopause otherwise you just facing the problem of periods issue. Don't worry. Eat proper diet food add lots of vitamins to it. Do regular exercise. This all will help you to live healthy.
Take care
No, I don't have hot flashes, night sweats, etc., and I do eat pretty healthy, for the most part.

I got the ultrasound done and they saw a spot or something along the endometrium, could be a fibroid, could be nothing. It wasn't a good enough picture, apparently, so they want me to get an MRI.

I got my period today. It's so messed up now after last month. I had nausea all day today and then a sharp pain in the rectum, that really hurt and made me feel so sick for awhile before it let up. Not sure what that was about. I think my hormones are going wacky or something.  
Oh, and they checked my thyroid and it's fine.