Menopause Community
Dr. prescribed drugs to open uterus for pap test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

I am three years post meopause, married and sexually active. My first visit to a new doctor for my yearly pap test and she said my uterus is closed.  I have always had yearly pap tests and have never been told that before.  The new doctor prescribed Misoprostol to be used vaginally 10 hours before a repeat pap test.  When I filled the prescription today I realize it is also a drug used as the abortion pill.  I can't find any information on it being used for post menopause pap tests and am uneasy.  Has anyone used this and can give me any info?   If I am not reassurred will cancel my next appointment and look for a new doctor.
Did your doctor say she wants to give you an endometrial biopsy?  A regular pap smear tests the cells on your cervix, not inside your uterus.  I've heard of that drug being prescribed before an endometrial biopsy so the doctor can more easily get through your cervix to the uterus, but never for a pap test.